TNT - oversensitive?

Splarne

TNT enforcement  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is TNT a bunch of oversensitive goofs... or hard working peeps trying to keep us evil ones in line?

• if you blink, you should be frozen! (tnt is great)
    • tnt would freeze their own grandma! (tnt is outta control)

They are not just oversensitive, but also ignorant, at times. Because they have so much stuff to deal with, they just take the quick and safe method, delete and warning, just so nothing bad really happens. But because of all the fake claims, I takes quite a while for them to get to the ones that are actually problematic. They really need to get some new employees to help the site run better, I know Viacom can spare some pocketchange (by that, I mean the thousands the CEO carries in his/her pocket)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just one of the reasons I quit neopets.

I mean, they over-react to everything. I remember having to break down my sentences to figure out what part was ticking them off. And then it'd turn out to be something that is the most common word in the english language and is far from inappropriate.

It made me mad, it did.

I'm guessing the reason for it is: it's been made in America and NST is equal to PST (Pacific Standard Time). So it would consider the American spellings. (exception of the Colourful Chomby Avatar with the Something has Happened! event! :graduated: )

Seeing as Adam and Donna were from England, in the past they've tried to keep a lot of the spellings British.

However, within the past four years I have slowly noticed them undo items that Adam and Donna obviously named, changing spellings and such... their office was only located in England until like April 2000, and it's been in California since, so I guess it makes sense to now have colour spelt as color and such.

But it still depressing that they've renamed some stuff.

But really... it just irritates me because I got so used to spelling color as colour that I've had to stop and think deeply about every time I have typed color in this post. XD I can't stop spelling some words that way, and my English teachers keep circling my words and putting a question mark next to it.

Darn those faer... fairies...

I think they're oversensitive. I understand that it's hard to regulate such an active site, but if they can set it up so that under-13 accounts can't access the gambling games, I don't see why they don't set up a board with fewer censors (more in terms of topic than language, since I'd like to able to talk about politics and such, and think it should be possible to mention alcohol without getting warned) for 18+ accounts. If someone lies about their age to fall into another age category, that's their problem, not everyone else's.

Also, their filters sometimes lead to posts being held up for "objectionable content" like punctuation marks. When that happened to me, it took me ages to figure out that my apostrophes were the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been warned 4 times in all, 3 for stupid things in the neoboards and once in a trade because people kept trying to trade me plushie paintbrushes when I obviously wanted the real thing. I think the TNT is waaaay too sensitive when it comes to language; however, when it comes to art thieves ICE 'EM!!

I think we have to be fair, TNT has to go through most likely thousands of reports a day, and they don't always get the adequate proof needed to tell who is really at fault for certain things. It must be hard to distinguish if two people are both claiming innocence. I think it's good that they warn and suspend, but I believe if you've never been warned or suspended you shouldn't get frozen for a first time offense. Of course, there are always exceptions, which is what makes this whole business so hairy.

I've been very lucky and only warned once or twice, and I did things I had no idea were against the rules. I've been leading a pretty straight line in the neoworld and trying my very best not to upset anyone. I know if I do it's probably the ice box for me...and I love my account so much. It's so old, and I have so much that I always check first to make sure everything's allowed. Sorry about your suspension though...

As many others have mentioned, I tend to simply stay away from the neoboards. I find them to be too limiting to begin with (400 character limit being the main one) and...they have no off topic forum. They used to have general forums, but they pulled them. In my opinion however, TNT is a little...trigger happy.

TNT is very trigger happy. It gets pretty annoying. But at the same time, you see the same spam, the same scammers, etc., who are let off scot free. So...I don't know.

They're definitely oversensitive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a rule you can't even talk about dating and relationships and stuff? I mean, c'mon, that's a part of life. x_x

Definitely oversensitive. I've gotten warnings for saying the word "lesbian". Really, I think they go a little too far when it comes to what's appropriate. I can kind of understand if I had associated it with date searching or something. But I didn't. In fact I think I mentioned it within the context of how annoying it was that I couldn't say a word as simple as "lesbian". I would say they're just trying to keep everything NP related, but that doesn't explain why so many non-NP threads get left up. So then I thought that maybe they're trying to veer away from controversial topics, but I decided to test the system and not just use the word straight in that context but never got any notice. It could've been because it wasn't reported, but I don't see why. Seems like that could start more controversy than it avoids.

Then there was that one suspension I got for telling a 15-year-old that her relationship with an 18-year-old probably wasn't going to last. Granted, she's the one who brought up the relationship, not me, and I got a warning for "name-calling" even though I don't recall calling her any names. Unless telling someone they're wrong counts as name-calling. Which brings up my next point, warning and suspension notices are incredibly vague. The least they could do is tell you what message you wrote is getting you in trouble. I think the warning I got for the former complaint was the clearest I've ever gotten. But other times I have no clue what I've gotten in trouble for.

I've also gotten suspended because my guild (which I don't own nor control in any way) forgot to take 'contest' out of their ads and so I just copy-pasted it assuming it had been changed and rather than take it up with the guild owner, I got suspended. So now I couldn't bring it up with the guild and I was suspended for...well, basically nothing. 'Contests' by the way, didn't involve NP or anything like that. Said 'contests' are how you get council and subcouncil positions and they're involved with how active you are in the guild.

:guiltysmiley: My opinion is this: Everybody that gets frozen thinks they have not done anything outside of the rules.

In most cases they have, but in the rare case that they haven't, they SHOULD send in a report to get their account back. If this doesn't work, then they hae broken the rules, even if they haven't realised it. And if they haven't realised it, then the punishment shouldn't be freezing, because they obviously haven't done anything really bad. I myself got frozen, and, like most people, didn't think I had done anything wrong. They gave me some message about posting on the boards, but I couldn't remember anything bad I'd posted.

What really made me angry, was that they hadn't told me the exact circumstance they had frozen me for. I had had a few warnings in the past, but not very many. Because of this, I was left clueless to what I had done. I believe in some situations, they are oversensitive. But what really got my back up was that they hadn't properly explained the instance that I had broken a rule. <_<

I can understand why they wouldn't allow the word lesbian. Too many children.

What's so bad about the word lesbian though. It isn't really an insult, nor is it inflammatory in any way. Really it's only going to be brought up one in a great while in the the context of situations which are already forbidden. I would think that I would quicker get a warning for having a discussion with a girl about why she should get so attatched to high school relationships (a discussion that lasted 10 pages mind you) than for saying "I'm a lesbian so no, I don't think Edward is cute" in a single post.

http://www.pinkpt.com/rr_defendingneopets.htm

Misunderstanding parents who feel like causing drama can twist things a lot.

If Neopets got into trouble for having the wheel of excitement... someone's going to get their faces bitten off for allowing people talk about lesbians on a 'kids site'.

But here comes a question... Really, don't you have to be 13 to chat on the boards? And if you're under, don't your parents have to sign a form?

If you're going to have a hissy fit that people can post LMAO on the neoboards, don't let your eight year old go to the neoboards. XD Now I see people warned all of the time if they accidentally say lmao after coming back from a long hiatus D;

However, I'm on the neobaords for hours every day, and I still fail to see why dating and such even need to be brought up on a pet site. xD

However, I'm on the neobaords for hours every day, and I still fail to see why dating and such even need to be brought up on a pet site. xD

Well, on the dating issue, it doesn't NEED to be brought up, but sometimes, it is. The ones who make friends & enjoy talking to each other about their personal lives on the site might talk about how their boyfriend gave them a necklace or something. And if you're going to get warned for that, then...

*slaps Neopets' oversensitive wrist* ^_^

Guest shanemk

I got a warning from TNT once for using the acronym 'wtf' to one of my friends...who is an adult. And my friend one time got a warning letter from TNT, it said that he wasn't allowed to discuss his 'lifestyle.' He contacted the abuse department after that.

oh and one more thing, the lifestyle issue was talked about in neomail, wasn't even publicized on forums or anything.

I don't think I've ever been more ticked off at TNT then I am right now.

I had my dog since I was four. She was the best dog I could have imagined, and she always managed to put a smile on my face. She lived for us. We were her world... and I love her so much.

I had to watch her randomly be unable to get up Friday morning. The next morning she was gasping for air, so we took her the vet. She was diagnosed with an extremely deadly form of cancer, and then my dad and I had to hold her as they put her to sleep... and what do I get in my inbox?

"You have received an official warning from the Neopets Team for violating the Neopets Terms and Conditions."

Heck, people even call me by the nickname Sugar, which was her name. How am I not supposed mention the fact that the dog my username (here, neopets, email... everywhere on the internet?!) was named after just died?

I guess that talking about death is a no-no, now. And therefore, I guess I deserved it. (Even though I'm still a bit baffled at why my dog dying was clumped into the same group of offenses as talking about drugs and pregnancies).

But really... for all I care, they can freeze me right here and now.

I'm already upset enough right now.

It's not like I'm having fun having the username yellowsugardog right now.

They can go bite their own faces off.

Well hey look at it this way. TNT made the site, so they should have every right to make whatever rules they want. If you don't like them, quit, but when you signed up for Neopets, you agreed to their T&C and all of their rules. If they don't want you talking about dating or lifestyles or political views, then get over it and talk about those things elsewhere.

I've never been frozen or had a warning. I don't spend much time on the boards (except for the quest help board). I'm not part of a guild and I rarely do trades (haven't gotten to the point where I buy items over 100K much.)

I appreciate how 'clean' neopets is. I first started playing several years ago when my kids wanted to. I insisted on testing the site out before I let them on. They played for about a month, I've never left - LOL.

I don't want to hear about peoples personal lives. There are thousands of sites on the internet for that kind of stuff - Neopets just isn't the appropriate place for that sort of stuff. There are so many fan sites that are less sensitive that it's easy enough to contact off the Neopets site.

I don't see any reason to be discussing sexuality of any sort on the neopets boards - so the word lesbian should be flagged as should any other terms that can only or primarily be used in a sexual discussion.

Perhaps the warning for discussing death was insensitive to the person who lost their beloved pet - but all in all it's really not a good topic for discussion on a family friendly site so I can see why it would get flagged.

I also agree that TNT has alot to do - monitoring neomail and the boards could be a full time job for several people. They have to have some baseline standards - and adding an appeals process would be equally time consuming.

The bottom line is this - most of us have been playing long enough that we know the rules. When we get a warning or a freeze we need to take it in stride. After all - it is JUST a game! (OK -so for a few of us it's a way of life -LOL!)

Definetly oversensative. My friend got one of those notices when he was writing to me. He meant to write, "How are you?"

But he somehow forgot his "w" (a mistake EVERYONE does once in a while) and he couldn't go on for a day. Poor guy... he missed the Fruit Machine too.

I'm not sure if TNT is oversensitive or not. I know a couple of people in my guild who have used cuss words and nothing happened to them. How confuzzling. :S

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much gave up on neomailing entirely after getting censored 4 times on a single mail. I honestly still have no idea what I said to trigger the system! I also got snapped at once for telling someone to CHANGE their PW, as she'd gotten scammed. After that, I said **** neomailing-- if I want to contact another user enough to cope with the irritation, I will... but I'm sure gonna think long and hard about it!

You know, I think there should be an age limit on things. If your account is 17+ years of age, then you should be able to at least say 'wtf'. Not even full blown cursing, just some semblance of personality! I got warned the other day for writing to my friend whose username ends in 'shi' and my next word started with 't', so of course they assumed I was cursing. But really. If I wanted to curse online, I could find places outside of neopets to do it :P

But really. If I wanted to curse online, I could find places outside of neopets to do it :P

I hear that, M! I'm adult enough to understand that cussing has it's place... and that place is NOT NeoPets! Although, I gotta say, the censor has bleeped things I never thought of as profanity.... gave me some great ideas!