Twilight Harry Potter or Both? AND why?

Queen Milli

(I think this is the last day I can post here before it's considering a violation, yes?)

I am a fan of Harry Potter, but not as big of a fan as I used to be. When the last book came out I was nowhere near a book store. I've grown to enjoy more technical magic books, like So You Want To Be A Wizard.

This is going to be extroadinarily bias seeing as I very much dislike Twilight. Harry Potter by a long shot. The characters are realistic, the setting is FAR more creative but still adheres to the rules we've come to know about magic. It's basically what Twilight COULD'VE been, if it was done right. It disproves every argument I've heard from Twilight fans trying to justify that Twilight it good despite having shallow characters (argument: It's a fantasy book so they don't have to be realistic!) and destroying the ALREADY destroyed history of vampires (argument: She's just being original!) Harry Potter disproves both the arguments, because despite being set in an even MORE unbelievable setting, it still have very believable characters. And Rowling manages to keep what we understand to be wizards and witches, while still filling in the blanks. Think about it. Imagine if Rowling made it where the witches and wizards of Hogwarts don't use magic, but rather decide it's "too dangerous" and only study it, but were still considered witches and wizards and those who use it are the evil people. And for them to use it would destroy everything they can think of. THAT is what Meyer's did to vampires. And that can be done, but it's a delicate plot device that needs to be done very well. Meyers isn't a very experienced writer and so she shouldn't be playing around with stuff like that.

Especially when she doesn't even have the ability to put an actual lesson in her books that isn't a cliche. Harry Potter has several.

I'm not a big fan of either series, but you can tell that at the very least, Harry Potter has some feeling. It's not just a fanfiction that was made into four books and published in a matter of three years (that's 1.3 books a year, wow, that's a lot of effort right? That was sarcasm). It has 3D characters who deal with the most extraordinary of problems but the writer is talented enough to make those seem relateable and realistic. That's the art of writing. Making fiction into reality. Meyers doesn't do that. Even when she's using a realistic setting, everything about her characters and lessons are so deplorable and such a bad influence to the point where she can't even conform to the FANTASY of her writing. Let alone the realism. That's the sign of a bad writer. Twilight is nothing but a marketing tool. It uses comfortable settings and makes characters that appeal to a demographic that is FAMOUS for eating up anything that teaches them they can have a boyfriend that will be with them forever.

Harry Potter has romance but it's so subtle that I actually appreciate it. I'm not a big fan of romance in books as it tends to be rushed and not follow the rules of how romance is usually done. Harry Potter follows those rules. The romance doesn't overshadow the actual story. And most importantly, the relationships have obviously chemistry. Bella and Edward have no chemistry. This is mostly because they have no personality of which to speak, but that's probably why they lack any sort of bond whatsoever. Twilight is basically saying that "if you have a crush on that hot guy in front of you, you can fall in love with him and it will last even if you have no clue who he is". Attraction does not equate to love.

Anyways I'm done. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

*applauds*

That was very well done. You hit every nail right on the head! I respect that. Everyone, listen to this one when it comes to HP/Twilight debate. But I'm afraid this topic was long overdue to be closed since technically it died somewhere in October. Yet again though, well done.

Well I definately love both. But I think I'd have to say Harry Potter. Twilight was good, and I was over obsessed when I was reading it (:D) but after I had finished reading them all, the obsession sorta died down, and then, when I saw the preview of the 6th movie when I went to the movies (It looks so good by the way! :O) The obsession just sorta, arose, so now I have started reading the 5th book again, which was my favourite. So yeah, probably could have been done 5 minutes ago, but, I guess I got into a rant. :D

I like both for different reasons. Harry potter for the plot Twilight for the romance and vampyres ^_^ I got to meet the cast and have a personalized autographed poster. I liked the character Edward, not too sure about Robert himself hahaha they were kinda intoxicated when I met them (now Jacob in person, is another story, the cutest 16 yr old ever haha too bad he's only 16) . I find both books fascinating b/c of the supernatural but Twilight did lose part of the excitement in the series whereas the HP series didn't.

I'm a pretty big fan of Harry Potter. I read the books when I was a little teenie-bopper and I still like them as a 21-year-old. Granted, I haven't read them in a while, but I tend to reread the book before each movie comes out.

I tried to read Twilight, but something about it made my eyelids incredibly heavy, lol. I like the premise and when I read plot summaries online, it seems interesting, but when I actually sit down to read it, I can't keep my focus on it for some reason. I've also heard mixed reviews about the movie, so I may end up reading it just to compare it with the movie at some point :)

haha I didn't like the movie as I thought I was going too, but it's a vampyre romance so I MUST purchase the dvd later haha. I finished Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse all within either 12-24 hours of starting, The last one took me a while b/c of work and it's bigger. The only sad thing was.. $20 for half a day's read? SOOO wasn't fair!!! -.-

I'm a pretty big fan of Harry Potter. I read the books when I was a little teenie-bopper and I still like them as a 21-year-old. Granted, I haven't read them in a while, but I tend to reread the book before each movie comes out.

Ditto....we'll have to wait for a while cuz i think the first part "Deathly Hallows" doesn't come out til 2010 :crying_blow:

I finished Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse all within either 12-24 hours of starting, The last one took me a while b/c of work and it's bigger. The only sad thing was.. $20 for half a day's read? SOOO wasn't fair!!! -.-

Same here i hadn't read that fast since HP lol

• 1 month later...

Haven't read all the Harry Potter or Twilight books. Both are good to me. But I pick Harry Potter.

Funny story about Twilight actually, no this isn't off topic lol.

I got onto a chatroom I always go to, good friends and stuff, but just for kicks I made my name "IKilledEdwardCullen." and OMG! XD!! Some girl started cussing me out like there was no tomorrow, calling me a murderer, another "pushed me off a cliff" and one called me fat for no reason o.O I said "I hate to break it to you but......Twilight isn't real" heh. Wow it was intense.

Twihard fangirls make me want to punch a cybunny. That's bad.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Ruto if you have any questions regarding this action.

I like both of them but Harry Potter is way better. Twilight is a really good book for teenage girls but I don't think it is written as well as Harry Potter. Twilight is fun and a great escape from reality but it doesn't have a lot of substance. Harry Potter has a lot of complex characters and a better plot and an actual message. The ending of the Twilight series really disappointed me. =( It is a great book for entertainment but it isn't good literature.