Gay Marriage

Unstream

Because in the Bible it states that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, not between a man and a man or a woman and a woman. I don't have a Bible infront of me and therefore can not quote it for you. But if you read Sodom and Gommorah in the Old Testament then you will find what is written about sodomy and if you read about the conditions of marriage in the Bible then you will find that it says "marriage between a man and a woman must be open to life" in other words that means that if you cannot or decide not to have children you cannot be married in the Church (well the Catholic Church anyway).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, gay marriage should be legal (in America).

What is said in the Bible is irrelevant because we don't live in a theocracy.

As long as straight married couples receive a multitude of government benefits for being married, gay couples should as well.

At the same time though, the United States does seem to be more Christian than anything. Just think of our motto, "In God We Trust" and our pledge of allegiance, "One nation, under God."

I say that gay marrage should be allowed in the U.S I mean, people may not beleive in the same things that you do. In some releigions it is more holy to have a gay union than one with the opposite gender. There needs to be more division of church and state these days. But I see the problem that many people would have if gays got married in a church, in God's house when he "forbids" it. As long as the preist feels ok with weding them, then I think it should be ok.

In the Old Testament of the Bible, it said that God struck down two cities because some of the men wanted to engage in sex with two male angels. So the Bible is against gay marriage.

But then I have a friend who's parents are gay and they seem pretty happy. And isn't the point of marriage to be with someone you love and all?

Hmm, I suppose I'm neither for nor against it. I still have yet to decide. And I think I still have a couple of years before I can vote.

Yes, gay marriage should be legal (in America).

As long as straight married couples receive a multitude of government benefits for being married, gay couples should as well.

But it isn't a government issue, it is a religous issue. I don't understand where the government comes into all of this. I reckon if they say it is fine for churches to allow gay marriages, but it is up to each church to decide they will have made the right decision. The government should not have the right to enforce each religion to preform gay marriages, it should be up to each religion to decide whether or not they allow gay couples to get married in their churches and under their guidance. I can tell you now that if the government tries to force churches to preform gay marriages they are going to have an uproar on their hands!!

At the same time though, the United States does seem to be more Christian than anything. Just think of our motto, "In God We Trust" and our pledge of allegiance, "One nation, under God."

but the founding fathers never meant the Christian god when they made the motto. they specifically did not specify a god to accommodate people of all faiths. also the fact that our pledge of allegiance says "one nation, under god" does not have any religious significance either that was added during the 50's to distinguish us for the communists who did not believe in god.

anyway gay marriage from a governmental stand point is not about religion but about civil rights and in the broadest terms whether or not homosexuals are people too.

I think they should allow it in the US, I mean, nobody gets hurt by doing so.

In my country, it is allowed, and I have only seen two or three gay couples in my whole life. (together at least, because one of my teachers is lesbian)

The only couple I can really remember were two men, just walking hand in hand. And I tell you, if you love someone, won't you want to marry?

I think gender doesn't matter. Unfortunately, I cannot say anything about the bible or anything, because the only thing I believe in is science. And it is proven that gays are natural.

Did you know almost every old Greek (I'm talking about the times before the Romans) was bi or gay? And it is well-known that the Roman emperor Nero was bi. Nobody made any problems then.

But the reason nobody is used to gays is because it was forbidden a few centuries ago, and nobody dared to say they were gay, because they would go to prison.

anyway gay marriage from a governmental stand point is not about religion but about civil rights and in the broadest terms whether or not homosexuals are people too.

If I say I am gay(which is true), does that mean I'm not a human any more?

Yeah, the problem with this is the fact that most people in a political position belong to one congregation or another. Then, they also worry about re-elections, because they'll have those that are stuck in the past who will drag their names through the mud just because they tried to please a smaller group than the ignorant. I feel that it should be allowed, purely on the fact that you can't control who you love.

Yeah I guess that's a pretty big part in this. The majority of the United States's citizens are Christians, and they think gay marriage is wrong, so the people in the Senate vote against gay marriage to appeal to the majority of the people and get reelected.

Do I think homosexuality and homosexual marriage is a sin? Yes.

Will I vote to make it legal? Yes, God ordained everyone freedom of choice, and I would not presume to take it away. Free will is the whole point.

God set the rules and said, "I want you to love me and follow me because you choose to." And then he gave everyone the freedom to follow him or not.

So why should we think we can take it upon ourselves, as mere humans, to take away the rights and choices that God gave them.

God also said that we are to follow the laws of the land, therefore the laws that have been set by the Government etc. We have no right to judge other people, for judgement is for the Lord, but we do have to follow the laws of the land and that includes this law, until or if it is changed.

God also said that we are to follow the laws of the land, therefore the laws that have been set by the Government etc. We have no right to judge other people, for judgement is for the Lord, but we do have to follow the laws of the land and that includes this law, until or if it is changed.

Yes, everyone should follow the law. But the thing is that some people would disagree with the law. And keep in mind some people don't give a crap about what the Bible says, and we have no right to force them to, otherwise we'd be taking away their rights bestowed upon them in the Declaration of Independence.

See, the ban on gay marriage is based upon morals, morals that are forced upon the people of the United States by the government. And in doing that, the government has taken away our right to liberty by forcing us to go along with certain morals, which then goes against the United States principles established in the Declaration of Independence, making the United States immoral.

All in all, the United States is a big contradiction. A hypocrite.

• 2 months later...

Marriage is not a religious institution in this country, it is a legal one. You get a license to get married and do not have to be married in a church to have it be "legal". Gay defined persons should be allowed the same civil rights as any other person in this country. Churches should be allowed to deny couples from being married in their church's if that is against their beliefs to do so.

Subsitute "black" "latino" "Russian" any ethnic group into the phrase "Gay Marriage Should Be Illigal" how does that hit you....The Loving vs the State of Virginia case was less than 40 years ago. less than 50 years ago it was illigal for whites and blacks to intermarry in certain states....How does that sound to you? If your religion says its wrong, terrific. Those are your beliefs and you should stick to them, however, there is a separation of church and state in this country and being married in this country is not a religious designation (athiests can be "married") and as such, every person regardless of sexual orientation should be allowed to be married if they are of the legal age to do so and have the ability to consent.

Get your beliefs outta the bedroom and live and let live. If so called "religious" people spent more time worrying about their own souls and less time worrying about my gay friends, the world would be a better place.

I was going to really read through this because this debate has personal grounds with me and I've done a few hundred speeches on the matter.

However, it doesn't really matter, the debate may never end.

I just look at it from a very simple point of view. If you can't be happy in life, life is not worth living. So do whatever it takes to make yourself happy and screw the rest as long as you aren't out to hurt anyone.

the church has the right to "marry" anybody they want. If they want to say no to gays thats fine. but the government shouldn't have that luxury. I know quite a few gay people i have preformed three ceremonies for friends in the state of Connecticut. I am a certified High priest of Wicca and i believe they have just as much rights as i do. As far as kids go, lot of people think its gonna be hard on the kid. Its not as bad as you would think. Most of the kids turn out better then others because "mommy" and "daddy" didn't get divorced because it took 3 years for them to be able to get married and they fought every step of the way. as opposed to know somebody for 2 months and get married in a drive though chapel. I don't speak for all marriages with the drive though comment but 50% of marriages end in divorce and they have the right to lecture the gays about it? furthermore i am appalled at this country for the way it treats its citizens.

I'd just like to come back into this debate because I now have a new..... whatever. Point of view let's say.

I mean, my feelings haven't changed. I still believe that gays and all their friends (bi-sexuals, lesbians) should be able to marry.

Nah, I mean that I now see this from a slightly different angle... considering I've discovered that I am bi. So there is a chance I could end up actually facing this problem head-on. Granted I could find a guy I love. Or I could change. But there's still that chance. And I'd like to think that as a free country, these United States of America would uphold what they've been saying for sooo long... that every man is equal and that we have so many different freedoms. I know that they were (and still are in cases) prejudiced to many. But see what the civil rights movement got us? More tolerance for people who are equal. They always have been.

That's what our country needs to realize. That everyone is equal no matter who they love. We need more tolerance here.

I haven't been able to come out to a single person I know in real life simply because there just isn't enough tolerance. I mean, I could very well lose respect from my friends' families. Not necessarily my friends. They're pretty good about tolerance. I think it helps that we have a lesbian in our "group."

If I knew her better, I'd turn to her for help....

Based on the fact that there is the separation of church and state in the government, gay people should be allowed to get married. just like how they took prayers out of public schools and all that for the separation, and how there is not a nationally recognized religion, they cant tell people who they can marry.

sure lots of people have a problem with it, but the main thing with the US is that people have freedoms. especially since the only way this can affect other people is by making them uncomfortable or possibly disgusted.

and for the kid thing, kids from straight couples can end up pretty messed up, so how much worse can kids with gay parents really turn out comparatively?

i have no problem with people being morally against gay marriage, but i think legally there is no problem.

I completely agree with malindamya.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Make all posts at least 7 words long. Also, please try and contribute to the discussion, do not jsut say "I agree."

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Subsitute "black" "latino" "Russian" any ethnic group into the phrase "Gay Marriage Should Be Illigal" how does that hit you....The Loving vs the State of Virginia case was less than 40 years ago. less than 50 years ago it was illigal for whites and blacks to intermarry in certain states....How does that sound to you? If your religion says its wrong, terrific. Those are your beliefs and you should stick to them, however, there is a separation of church and state in this country and being married in this country is not a religious designation (athiests can be "married") and as such, every person regardless of sexual orientation should be allowed to be married if they are of the legal age to do so and have the ability to consent.

I disagree with your point- first off, I have absoloutely no problem with interracial marriages, it's great, let's make that clear.

But different races; black, white, hispanic, it doesn't matter. For gender it's different.

Humans are seperated into two main groups-male and female. The genders are equal but not interchangeable.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I decided to anyway.

Marriage is between one man and one woman. It has been that way since the term was first used. I have no problem with interracial marriage, nor do I have a problem with civil unions for gays. They should be allowed some sort of relationship, but calling it "marriage" is a step too far.

I think gay should be allowed to marriage.To me saying gays cant marry would be like saying colored people cant be married.They cant help there skin color and gays cant help that they like the same gender.

and gays cant help that they like the same gender.

That is a matter of opinion - it is still being debate whether or not it is a choice to be gay. JMO...