Kadoatery Feeding

Sugar Gar

Kadoatery feeding   

43 members have voted

1. 1. "Overfeeding": Right or Wrong?

• Right
    • Wrong

As you may know, the Kadoatery is a building where Kadoaties have the chance to be 'taken care of' while their 'owner is on vacation'. Really, the Kadoaties aren't really even real items - just basically fake kads that take in food items to help balance out the ever growing amount of items in the system. If you bring 75 kadoaties the food they desire before anyone else gets to them, you will get an avatar. It used to be that there was a possibility of earning a kadoatie from feeding enough, but they took that out of the game before anyone won it.

Some users have been feeding for a while, and continue to feed even after they have recieved the avatar.

Many newer feeders have stated that this makes the game harder, and if the biggest prize you can win from kadoatery feeding is that avatar, they're just beating all the newer feeders to the kads and taking away their chances. They complain that it is making the avatar harder when the older feeders have no real reason to continue feeding.

The older feeders, however, point out that as with avatar collecting or other games on the site, once you receive the trophy or avatar, you don't have to stop, even if you prevent others from getting into the high score list. They claim that the majority of the Kadoatery is usually filled up by newer feeders, and not overfeeders, and the people who keep feeding add to the competition 'that makes it fun'.

What do YOU think? I know this is probably not as easy of a debate to decide if whether you like one item over another, or your feelings on site changes or something. But I'm curious because I have seen this debate a few times. And if you choose the choice I don't agree with (I'm not telling you which it is =P), don't worry... nobody's going to bite your face off. XD

I think that it's alright for those who already have the avatar to keep feeding Kadoaties if they so wish. Some people may not think it's polite, but in my opinion everyone should be allowed the same privileges. It is harder to feed Kadoaties, but that can make it more fun and also make the avatar 'worth' more.

I don't think the new feeders have any right to complain. The overfeeders have just as much of a right to feed as the newbies do. Some people continuing feeding because it's fun, not because they're trying to take away the newbies' chances. The overfeeders shouldn't have to stop because "they're too good at it" or "they're ruining the newbies' chances"; the whole point of that game is competition.

My opinion on this is roughly the same as Morgan's - getting the avatar isn't the only reason people feed kadoaties. The Kadoatery is essentially a game, and if people want to play that game for fun, you don't really have a right to stop them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I was feeding for a while (then stopped because I got busy) and didn't have too much trouble with overfeeders.

I was reading a board on Games about talking about this again, and it's making me want to feed again XD.

Like with most things, it takes some practise, and the method you choose to use to feed when you're starting.

I think overfeeding is fine. I like the challenge, and if no one overfed, there wouldn't be all those intresting people on the Kad boards. xD

I think it's not nice that they do it, but I also think that they have the rights to continue for playing it. People like the spiffy looking numbers in their lookups. :P That alone is a good enough reason to continue after the avvie. I personally suck at Kadoating, but managed to get one at last, ans now I'm happy for having the trophy :D

In all honesty, I think "overfeeding" is fine with me. It's not like I spend most of my time on Neopets at the Kadoatery-I tried to feed a Kadoatie 2 years ago, but someone else beat me to it <.<;;;;;;;;

I'm too slow for Kadoatie feeding xD

The overfeeders might consider overfeeding their hobby, but that's just them

Actually I was thinking of putting wrong at first because its really hard for a starter to feed one and I somehow can't stand it looking at the numbers in their lookup and still continue feeding them, but after looking at the posts I somehow agree with all of you since its not right telling a person playing a game to stop and its also more challenging this way...

I'm also just started feeding and I'm not good at it yet also...

Isn't the point of the Kadoatery a chance to get an avatar and a trophy? So why do people who have already gotton both have the right to take this chance away from others? I think the overfeeders should give others a chance to get the trophy. (But of course, people usually never take into consideration what others need. So this is just wishful thinking.)

Isn't the point of the Kadoatery a chance to get an avatar and a trophy? So why do people who have already gotton both have the right to take this chance away from others? I think the overfeeders should give others a chance to get the trophy. (But of course, people usually never take into consideration what others need. So this is just wishful thinking.)

Well, speaking plainly, people don't "need" avatars and trophies. If newbies really want that trophy or avatar, they'll work hard to get it. Only if they persist will it show that they can be and will become dedicated feeders. If overfeeders just stopped playing to give newbies a chance, then pretty much everybody would be able to get the prizes, and then it wouldn't be special.

And some people don't find the Kadoatery simply as a way to get prizes. They like to view it as a challenge to see how high they can get their feed numbers, or how many kadoaties they can feed in one day.

Yet the point of Neopets is to have fun and not be bored. The newbies may not have the same way of thinking as you if every time they go to the Kadoatery, all of them have been fed. Wouldn't you feel dejected. And yes, nobody needs trophies. I meant want.

That's why there are plenty of other games and activities to play on Neopets, so it's basically impossible to be bored. And no, I wouldn't feel dejected. If I really wanted to be a feeder, I would keep trying.

For newbies, there are almost always "Kad Feeding" boards up that show what time the kadoaties will be hungry again, so when the time comes, the newbies will know it and will have a chance to feed.

I'd like to make an off-topic example. Dragon Cave basically has one goal to accomplish: collect as many dragons as you can. There's a certain dragon I've been trying to get, and everytime I see and click it, it's already taken. But I'm not complaining about it. I'm persistently trying again because I enjoy that game. And I know that other collecters are taking rare dragons when they already have some, but that's perfectly okay, because they want to enjoy the game too.

The Kadoatery is no different.

Also, the level of accomplishment you get at the end is also greater if you work extra hard to get it...

I really don't see the point of feeding after the avatar, but if you want to I don't think it's wrong. I don't plan on it, but if some people enjoy it, I don't have a problem with that.

I think its wrong. Why keep feeding after you have the avatar?

I have been trying to feed one for months and can never get one. I have seen people who have fed hundreds of them.

Stop being greedy and give others a chance.

Unfortunately, because of these people, I will never get that avatar, because they are not playing fair, which goes against what I believe in.

:)

But Shay, isn't the whole point of the game to feed as many as you can? The avatar is simply a reward for getting to a certain number, for doing exceptionally well. Some people find the game addicting even after they have the avatar. So they can keep playing if they want. Who has to right to tell them to stop just because they're doing very well, or according to other people, "too well"? It's competition. Trust me, everyone has the same chance. But, if all of the newbies could feed kadoaties without any problem, the game wouldn't be any fun. Getting the avatar makes it that much more rewarding, because the newbies know that they beat the overfeeders.

Morgan's right, you know. Everyone has an even chance. In fact, the first time I managed to feed a Kad, I pwned an overfeeder. I'm still proud of that. xD

Yes, all those people there make it harder, but it's all the more rewarding when you do feed one beacuse you had to work for it. If just anyone could sit there and feed any Kad they pleased, the av wouldn't be near as special. Overfeeders make it so there's a thrill when you feed, even if you miss the Kad. Your pulse races and you get tense, you race for a Kad you can feed or do your best to snag one that you can Wiz feed for.... Most people, even those with jsut a few feeds, are in it for the thrill, not the rewards.

Kad feeding isn't just a game or a way to get another av. It's a way of Neopian life.

Every game has a prize right? The prize for this game is getting the avvie. Not showing off by feeding more than you actually need to.

You don't have a hope of feeding one of those things when there are people out there who can afford to fill their inventory and just sit around refreshing all day.

The whole idea of neopets is to have fun. There is no fun in hogging certain aspects of it.

:)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please avoid cursing in any way.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Not necessarily. The avatar is not the only prize. If the overfeeders found that it WAS the only prize, though, then they would stop feeding after receiving it. But it's not to some people. The only reason they continue to feed is because they enjoy the challenge it brings, and the thrill of beating a rush of feeders.

And like I said, there is more than one way to have fun on Neopets. Just because you're bad in one section doesn't mean you're bad at everything else. You can have fun in those areas. Don't let one area ruin your whole opinion of the game. ;)

They don't overfeed because they can.

They do it because they're addicted to the game.

And quitting an addiction is hard. Why do it? It's fun and challenging; no reason to quit that sort of addiction. So the overfeeders continue to play. ^_^

Newbies could become overfeeders too if they really try for it. It's not impossible to feed a kad, just challenging. But that makes it more thrilling when you finally feed one.

I'm going to give an example to back up my argument: as you should know, you can achieve different ranks by posting on TDN Forums. Reaching certain ranks (such as Super Member) gives you access to certain privileges, which can be considered as a form of 'prize' for being an active member of the forums. Now, the highest status you can achieve as a normal member is 'Fantastic Member', at 2,000 posts. Does that mean that once people reach 2,000 posts, they just stop posting and leave the forum? Of course not - you can see active members on the forums with post counts far above 2,000 (*pokes my post count* :P ). Why? Because they're not posting to attain higher ranks and the privileges associated with them - they're posting because there's something intrinsically enjoyable about being part of the insane community here. In my opinion, the same concept applies to Kad feeding.