Mercury...Not fun.

Macabre

Life lesson for the day:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, provoke your brother into swinging a bag around, he might accidently hit a fluorescent lightbulb. Unfortunately these contain mercury, which now means you get to spend the day washing out clothing and vacuuming carpets again and again. And trying to find all the glass shards. :evil: All while wearing masks and using plastic gloves so you don't take in some mercury and poison yourself.

Ah, one day I shall look back at this and laugh. Unfortunately the laugh will be a, "Mwahahahaa" because I have gone mad from the mercury.

Fun, right?

Handling dangerous chemicals is never fun (I've had a similar experience when handling mercury in a science lab). :sad01_anim: However as long as you weren't in contact with a large quantity of mercury for an extended period, I think things should turn out all right. :)

I'm curious - how exactly did you provoke your brother into accidentally breaking the light bulb?

Um, provoking him may have something to do with giving him a sharp poke in the stomach. :whistle:

EDIT: Okay, I meant to write more but I had to go.

Yes, hopefully there is not too much mercury in lighhtbulbs.

It wouldn't make sense that they were allowed to sell them if there was. :worried:

Um, provoking him may have something to do with giving him a sharp poke in the stomach. :whistle:

EDIT: Okay, I meant to write more but I had to go.

Yes, hopefully there is not too much mercury in lighhtbulbs.

It wouldn't make sense that they were allowed to sell them if there was. :worried:

This is why I'll never allow those lightbulbs in my house. Heck! I've even gone so far as to e-mail my state's consumer interest group to tell them about the mercury in those "environmentally-safe"/fluorecent light bulbs.

Mercury from light bulb, niiiiice.

I probably have ingested at least as much mercury as was in that light bulb so far in my life, I used to eat tuna for lunch almost five days a week for a looooong time, and it hasn't made me go mad (yet s032.gif)

Yep, they do shine brightly, but I don't think we'll be using them anymore.xD

Haha, tuna is evil. And why is there a mermaid on the front? If a mermaid is a human-fish thing and it eats tuna than isn't that cannabalism? :mellow:

Actually, I think that would be only partly cannibalism. And that is also false advertisement, I mean why would they put a mermaid on the front if there isn't any mermaid inside to eat. The same goes for bumble bee brand tuna, no bumble bees :(

After doing some research, it seems that fluorescent light bulbs are only filled with a very small amount of mercury vapour, so even if you did come in contact with the light bulb's contents, it probably wouldn't do you any harm. Still no reason to go around smashing them though. :P

And for the record, incandescent light bulbs aren't any safer than fluorescent ones - I've gotten a burn from one of those before. >.<

Ah, that's good.(:

Ouch.

I've burned myself on those before too...

Come to think of it, I don't have a very good history with lightbulbs.

Lets go back to candles!

...And then I guess we just burn down our houses... :worried:

well I haven't had any experience with mercury, but I did had a bad experience with ammoniun hidroxide (sp? I know the name in spanish) in the biochemistry lab, and it was really really concentrated, so I had glasses on, and I had to pour some drops on another substance, but I guess I was too close so the fumes affected me and I started feeling dizzy and my vision blurred for a while, and i was like "whoa! not good!" so I left it on the table and walked away and it all went back to normal, but yeah I got kinda scared

Yeah mercury is not good.. i dont think that mercury levels in tuna are high enough to cause a lot of harm though... although they did have a show on food network last night that focused on tuna and they did recommend to eat albacore tuna because it doesnt get high levels of mercury in its lifetime... that is if you're worried about tuna that much.... I just think it tastes gross... yech. :S

although, now that i think about it, i did break one of those old mercury thermometers when i was little... i quite possibly might have ingested it... that might be why im so nuts now... o_O

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Princess Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post, use the edit button instead. Posts merged.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Ah yes, mercury thermometers... that brings back some memories - a class I was in managed to break about 10 of those in a single lab session. XD Compared to those, light bulbs aren't much of a hazard.

I'm pretty sure I know what chemical you're talking about, Adrid.

Yeah, tuna's gross anyway.

Maybe if you ate a can every day...

Haha, I broke one of those thermometers once. :guiltysmiley:

Ah, that's good. (:

Ouch.

I've burned myself on those before too...

Come to think of it, I don't have a very good history with lightbulbs.

Lets go back to candles!

...And then I guess we just burn down our houses... :worried:

I know the best option for you, candles = bad, flourecent = bad, incandescent = bad, light emiting diodes (LED) = #1

LED's are bright, last a long time, don't use much energy, don't get very hot, kinda hard to shatter, and more that I can't think of at the time.

I know the perfect solution to the artificial lighting dilemma - special bio-luminescent bacteria! Just breed 'em, stick 'em in a glass case, and let them live their happy lives out providing us with much needed illumination. :D

I know the perfect solution to the artificial lighting dilemma - special bio-luminescent bacteria! Just breed 'em, stick 'em in a glass case, and let them live their happy lives out providing us with much needed illumination. :D
How much money to use them? I'm a cheapscate.

I grew a culture of those bio-luminescent bacteria when i was in highschool. They really are cool.... I dunno if i would want to co-exist with a large amount of bacteria sitting in a case though... eww :guiltysmiley: