MASTERY OF THE ARTS

Crusher

Hello, and welcome to MoTA; the second in a series of text-based role playing games, following "Wildlife."

Although it is still under wraps in terms of storyline and combat system, it will be slowly unfurling as the weeks go on. Theo is currently writing the first chapter which will be ready soon. Feel free to discuss the game HERE (not in the subscription topic anymore). It would also be in your interest to contact other players in the game now, because alliances may help later on. Enter the land of Trinodar, and prepare yourself for a truly incredible legend...

ESTABLISHED THREATS

THE ORDER OF THE SHINING TOWERS

'XEPHA' a.k.a. Nercika (5 MP spent)

Cameron needs a better calculator ~V.

Cameron will gladly accept any free calculators going around ~ Cameron

Blue Moon

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

ATTACK: 12

DEFENSE: 7

SPEED: 7

SKILL: 12

HP: 45/45

ISABEL a.k.a. Zadue (6 MP spent)

Astral Shock

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

DEFENSE: 10

SKILL: 10

STRATEGOS a.k.a. Slazator (2 MP spent)

Astral Shock

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

ATTACK: 11

AANG a.k.a. Parsh (2 MP spent)

Flowing Energies

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

BOOMER THE SNOWMAN a.k.a. Boomer (2 MP spent)

Blue Moon

Mind Dance

Basic Attack

DEFENSE: 5

HP: 46/46

HAMLADS1 a.k.a. Ash (1 MP spent)

Blue Moon

Astral Shock

Basic Attack

HP: 46/46

MYRIAD a.k.a. Azelea

Blue Moon

Mind Dance

Basic Attack

LIVELOVELAUGHALOT a.k.a. BooBear

Astral Shock

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

DAWNIE a.k.a. Misty

Flowing Energies

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

LAURA_4EVA_ a.k.a. Nasasop

Blue Moon

Flowing Energies

Basic Attack

THE KNIGHTS OF THE KINGDOM

SHATTERED_RIBBON a.k.a. Twilight (2 MP spent)

Fatal Thrust

Unyeilding Valour

Basic Attack

ATTACK: 14

DEFENSE: 8

SPEED: 5

SKILL: 5

HP: 51/51

CAPATAIN QUARK a.k.a. Klik-nas

Rending Slash

Fatal Thrust

Basic Attack

*PAUL* a.k.a. Fudge

Rending Slash

Beserking Charge

Basic Attack

SPEED: 5 (+10 [1])

MEEPTROID a.k.a. Dragillion (3 MP remaining)

Rending Slash

Kinship

Basic Attack

DOOM BRINGER a.k.a. Slash

Fatal Thrust

Unyielding Valour

Basic Attack

ROSYFINCH13 a.k.a. Trollhammeren

Beserking Charge

Unyielding Valour

Basic Attack

AMBERR a.k.a. Amber

Fatal Thrust

Kinship

Basic Attack

LEVY a.k.a. Levy

Fatal Thrust

Kinship

Basic Attack

REVENGE a.k.a. Revenge

Beserking Charge

Unyielding Valour

Basic Attack

RULES:

Hopefully we won't need these, but I'm putting them here to prevent them from occuring.

*General courtesy to other players and Theo and I expected.

*What happens here stays here; no getting tweaked off because you just got killed by someone who is your friend. It's a game!!

*All of TDN's rules apply here.

*No pestering Theo or I about the next chapter. It will be done as soon as we can do it.

*Any kind of attempt to cheat, manipulate or tamper with this contest will result in reporting and banning from MoTA.

*No annoying people for alliances. Ask politely. No means no. Period.

*Have fun or perish, mortal. No, seriously. :evil:

Checklist

* Character Statistics (100%)

* Character Skill Sets (100%)

* Scripting and Storyline (100%)

* Combat System (100%)

* Tutorial (100%)

* Map Development (85%)

* Clan Logos (75%)

NOTE: YOU CANNOT STILL ENTER!

=Cameron=

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo! I'm ready for this, hopefully it will be awesome :D

*also goes off to make alliances*

EDIT: I'm open for alliances, so if anyone is interested just PM me :P

The first chapter is almost ready, and soon after it's finished we will start.

And alliances will be very important this time - the battle system will involve tactical movements with the rest of your team.

Also, I'm open for bribes if anyone wants super godly powers in-game. (That was a joke. Go away, cheaters. Yes, I AM looking at you, Tom. *glares*) XP.

Back on topic.

So everything is coming along nicely and the story is almost almost finished.

=Cameron=

This contest will have a significantly more detailed (and better planned) storyline than the last, which will be written by me with guidance from Cameron. So let's get the story rolling:

In an isolated village far from the hustle and bustle of the central kingdoms, a rooster crowed. The area was illuminated only by the dim pre-dawn light, yet it was time to get up and working. Several of the various small brick buildings in the settlement came to life, light shining out of their windows and smoke rising out of their chimneys as the fires were lit for the day. A chorus of voices shortly followed, and anybody who hadn't been awakened by the rooster were shortly jolted awake by a group of small boys that ran from house to house, banging on the doors and yelling loudly. The boys were the alarm clock of the village, and also an efficient means to carry messages and gossip in the early mornings. But there was little time to waste on such things. Many visiting nobles had often made half-hearted comments about how silly the people were to wake so early, but a peasant's life was a tough one, and they had to wake up early if they wanted to eat well later in the day. Besides, the central kingdom nobles hardly ever visited any more, and there was some talk of an ongoing war in the north.

The village was soon alive with its inhabitants, scurrying around on their daily tasks. There were cows to milk, crops to tend, and somebody had to go out to the outlying meadows to make sure there were no wolves or bandits in the area. Bandits were becoming an ever increasing problem these days – the nearby garrisons of kingdom soldiers and the mage training camp had been emptied due to 'The War'. 'The War', had also almost doubled the taxes they had to pay to both the Kingdom and the Mages of the Shining Towers. While the high-class people in the central kingdoms probably thought this was all very well, the villagers in the southern plains worked hard to earn every single coin, and they loathed giving them up. 'The War' had been the culprit for a lot of their problems recently, but to them it was a distant problem, something to grumble about over the occasional drink in the bar.

Everybody in the village loved to be the first with news though, so naturally when the two recruiting parties arrived everybody who could spare a few minutes of work went out to see them. They were a magnificent sight too, with their banners waving and their armour gleaming under the bright light of the late morning. The recruiters did not waste any time, but got straight to business, setting up stalls and plastering posters all over the village. One party was made up of serious looking men with large, obviously displayed weapons and led by a young, lithe knight with a face serious beyond his years. The other party was made up of much older men, carrying staffs of all shapes and sizes. Their leader was an ancient, wizened man with an intricately carved wooden staff. It didn't take the villagers long to notice that the two parties were studiously ignoring each other.

About halfway through the day, when most of the young men were trudging back home for lunch, the recruiting parties went into full swing.

“Each and every one of you,” pronounced the leader of the men carrying staffs, “has a talent buried deep inside you! Each and every one of you has the power of a thousand Suns in the palm of your hand! There is not a single man in the world who lacks magical abilities! We are the Mages of the Shining Towers, here to help you unlock those talents! Leave your drudgery and toil behind to pursue a higher cause, to rid Trinodar of those murderous dogs who seek to slaughter innocent men, women and children!” With this statement, all of the staff-wielders (now obviously mages) turned to glare at the other men across the town square. Ignoring the glares, the young knight stood up with the grace of an experienced swordsman and began bellowing to the rapidly growing crowd of observers.

“Harken not to the fat old fools who try to deceive you with tricks of light and the oversized sticks that they see fit to carry around! Here we are: real men, with real weapons and a real purpose! We fight for honour, for glory, and for the good of the Kingdom with all its inhabitants! Come, join us as warriors in the armies of the Kingdom! We make war to subdue the mages, greedy pigs that seek to suck the land dry with pointless taxes and levies!” The knight drew his sword, flourishing it dramatically in the air for effect amidst a chorus of appreciative muttering from the crowd concerning his mention of taxes. But there were also a few loudly voiced objections that the taxes the Kingdom was imposing were just as harsh. Before the knight could add to his speech, the leader of the mages butted in, his face contorted with anger.

“What do you know of the intricacies of magic you foolish young boy! Our spells and enchantments heal the sick, help the poor, and make the great works of civilization you see in your 'kingdom' today possible!” he roared, somehow managing to snort out the word 'kingdom' with so much contempt it would have offended a caterpillar.

“You and your magic tricks!” retorted the knight. “You say you are helping, but all you are helping is yourselves! You steal the hard earned money of the people and waste it on useless buildings full of old, moth-eaten bits of paper!”

“Our libraries contain the greatest collections of knowledge that have ever existed! They are open to all who would benefit from psychological improvement: scholars, doctors, and even knife-waving scum like yourself!”

“Allow me to correct you old man – the mage libraries are open only to those who can pay an entire pound of gold for every hour they spend there!”

“Rubbish! Unsourced rumours spread by those who have nothing better to do in their lives but kill and kill again!” The mage's hands were quivering with anger by now.

“Would you like to dispute those rumours O great and mighty mage?” Replied the knight, sneering.

“Is that a challenge, boy?”

The knight started to reply, but his voice was drowned out by the rapidly rising sound of villagers making enthusiastic bets. In a flash, the knight was out in the middle of the square and speeding towards the mage, his sword held low for a disabling blow to the legs. The mage muttered an incantation and a golden flash of light sent the knight flying several meters into the air. The knight landed expertly, then came in again just as aggressively as before, and they were off, two figures spinning swiftly through the dust of the town square, the ring of steel on condensed magical energy echoing around the village.

It soon became clear that the two duellists were evenly matched, but the shouts of the crowd only intensified. A few punches were thrown by overenthusiastic supporters, and soon a full scale riot gripped the village. Amidst the chaos, the mage and the knight broke off their fighting, traded one last venomous glance, and strode back to their parties. Most of the villagers are too involved in the punch-ups to notice, but a few broke off discreetly and headed towards the stalls where the recruiters waited expectantly. These were the ones that had been persuaded, and these were the ones that would be involved in the greatest battles ever to be fought in the land of Trinodar...

So here is where you will make your first choice: will you join the mages and learn powerful magical arts, or train with the warriors and become skilled in the use of many weapons? Please post your choice here so that Cameron can make a note of it.

The contest has not started yet, so you still have a chance to join/confirm if you want. Just remember to pick a side. :yes:

I'll side with the warriors!

By the way, I'm really happy this is finally starting :D

Well only 3 people have picked a side so far. :P

@Isabel: Thanks for the compliment on the chapter. ^_^

Heh, 3 to 1 now... but seriously, if we have imbalanced teams I guess we'll just have to boost the warriors somehow...

:O I am at a disadvantage right now, but I'm sure things will get better

I will be handing out bribes, meet me in the alleyway in five minutes Nothing to see here

I'm laura, is it to late to join? If I can: Can my name be nasasop in the story, can I join the 'Mages'. And Xepha referred me! ^_^

Okay, what exactly is going on here? I wasn't in Wildlife... I might want to be in this though. Could someone please explain it in a PM or IM?

1 word. No. >.<;;. Read the story and pick a side. I suppose you could be a double-agent, but think about it. The minute they realised you were working for the enemy they would kill you. The whole storyline is completely written, so we aren't making these things up here. Pick one please :).

@Aang: Great! You're in.

@Laura: Hi and welcome to the forums! I'm Cameron, glad you decided to join the party ;D.

@Metroid: Thank you for the compliments, I couldn't agree more. Theo is a creative machine. Yay, another Warrior! :P

@Amber: Thanks for joining, V said she'd ask you. Yay, another another Warrior! XP

@Xepha: Sure thing, and thanks for two more members V!

@Levy: I'll do that in a minute, hang on.

@Vira: Hey! great to see you again. You're in, and BTW I still have some Christmas presents waiting for you ;P.

=Cameron=