NEOPETS SCAMMERS

m3l3ana

Well I decided for once in my life I would see if there really were people giving away stuff after putting their msn details on the Trading Post. Luckily enough I am not gulliable enough to fall for a scam asking for my password etc or people acting like TNT, so I clicked onto the scam pretty quickly!!

This person put their msn details on the Trading Post saying they were closing their account and getting rid of all their items. I added her to my msn (which uses a different email address from my neopets account) to see if it was a scam and OMG guess what? I was right it was a scam.

epson5 was the account she was using when she posted the trades and while talking to her on msn she gave me featheralley as her other account, which she said all her items were on.

I got the following email from "TNT" on my email address:

Sent: Tuesday, 10 June 2008 10:19:45 p.m.

To: [email protected]

We are sorry to have to have to warn you that you have been caught posting

Msn /Yahoo or another Instant message chat room site on the Neopets

site. As you are aware this is a violation of the neopets terms and

conditions you signed when signing up for your account. We will

block your IP address from the neopets site if this form is not

returned to us ASAP.

Username: m3l3ana

Password:

Active Neopet:

One or more Neofriends:

Pin number:

We will be blocking your IP address in 10 hours 0 minutes. Thank

You The Neopets Team.

So anyway.. I just thought you all may like to know. I continued msning her after I received the email and then said I was going to bed. She then requested my password so that she could give me all her stuff while I was sleeping at this point I got kind of angry. I asked her why she wanted to scam a game such as neopets and also said "most of the people you scam are children, does that make you feel good?" she continued to deny the fact that she was scamming even after I told her my neopets account email was different to the one I got the email on.

The email address she was using for msn is: [removed by staff]

Ohh I forgot to add that she also said to me she got an email from "TNT" and asked if I got one. She said she had to fill out a form and she got a blue draik egg for filling it out. She told me I should do it too, so I could get a rare item.

I have reported it to the real TNT and hopefully they will be able to do something about it. Just thought you all might like to know :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Superfly) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Email addresses removed to prevent people from spamming them. I know, spam a scammer, it sounds equally fair, but it's not nice and it might prevent someone else from adding them on MSN and getting scammed too. No action has been taken against m3l3ana; this is merely a precaution.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think it is kind of sad. I mean come on EVERYONE knows that TNT will NEVER ask you for your password. I don't know on how many different parts of the site they have said it, but I am kind of getting sick of hearing it.

Anyways.. this is the response I got from TNT:

Sent: 10/6/2008 05:31am

Folder: Inbox

Subject: Message from The Neopets Team

[Report Message] Neopets will never ask you to disable an account, or send us your password, change your email address or anything like that. If you have been sent anything like that, please report the person here: http://www.neopets.com/contact.phtml

Now I am slightly confused as to why they sent me this. I mean, I did report everything to them, using the reporting system :S

Oh, scammers. It's sad, really, how far people will go just to get a few pixels and/or ruin someone else's fun (and equally sad to see how many people are greedy/naive enough to fall for a scammer's claims.) I never used to go to the Neoboards, but recently I've been lurking around the Help Board for the entertainment value -- all the spammers, beggars, and scammers getting flamed. It's amusing in a slightly tragic way. :P And it's absolutely amazing to me how many times a day I see a post saying something to the effect of "OMG I got scammed!!!1one11" I wonder how many people have lost their accounts to this girl you caught...it's one of the oldest scams in the book, but people still fall for it every day.

And you may already know this, but as a side note, featheralley is a very old and *very* well-known account (and if you go to her lookup it specifically says not to fall for scams by people claiming to be her); I highly doubt that this scammer really is connected to that account in any way. Anything's possible, I guess, but the scammer almost certainly just used the account to try to make herself sound more credible.

^^^ No I didn't know that. When I looked up the account, I saw that it was old and had a lot of stuff!! Their Gallery is absolutely amazing. When I reported the scam, I told TNT that they were using the account and I asked them to be careful when banning because I thought she maybe using an innocent persons account. Plus when I read the description that featherally has, I figured that they were not the scammer!!

When the age range on a game is so wide, scamming is sure to be a problem. There is always going to be someone out there who is willing to waste their time luring people into scams. It's sad, but there's not too much anyone can do about it.

If I run into a scammer while I'm bored I like to lead them on a wild goose chase ^_^ See how they like people lying and messing with them.

Featherally is a player that's been on neo for a long time. I guess the reason scammers want to defame her is because she's the first person who defeated Kass. Jealous scammers.

Its really sad to hear that there are people who are jealous of a particular person's achievement and try to defame her even thought many people wants to be famous at the same time.

Sometimes its really up to you if you are greedy and wants to accept a particular person's offer then you maybe the next person to be scammed...

Haha Wow what some people would do for a virtual internet game...

On this other forum I used to go to theres advertisements saying "Neopet Hacks" and has the link w/download to auto grab and all of that. -_-

My partner was on the TP last night and he came across the same person again. The thing is they aren't all dumb. When they put the ad up on the TP, they then disable their account straight away and therefore you can't track them :S

PS. Sorry Superfly!!

Common sense is a powerful tool. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

But seriously, scamming on Neopets is just... dumb. :sad01_anim: