Concerning Question

MarkOfEternity

If someone posts a thread on a topic that they thought was pretty new, because it was pretty close to the top, but then realized it was more than 14 days old... say 17 days old... and they were afraid of being reported - is there anything they could do to possibly delete that post on their own? In a similar concern, how detrimental is being reported once to your overall status here?

This is a very valid question, and I have the answer you are probably hoping for. :)

If this happens, or you accidentally double post, or break some sort of rule that you cannot control yourself, simply report your own post. This shows the moderator that you realized your mistake and you will generally not get punished for something as silly as bumping an old topic.

Generally if you are reported one time, nothing will happen to you, it's 2-3 times that you will be issued a verbal warning which ultimately doesn't effect your status on here at all, it's just a stern warning that you're being watched by the moderators currently and their next action could be an official warning.

Now, this is generally the case, but each issue is dealt with separately and there is no set rule as to something like this should be dealt with, but the mods here are super nice, and from what I've seen, you should have nothing to worry about. :)

Thank you very much. I appreciate knowing that. I'll go correct my mistake right now.

Addendum: I went report myself, and when I clicked report, I got this message:

"Please note: The moderator will be made aware of the link to the post and the topic title.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectional content, etc and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons."

This note makes me nervous. I don't think the content I posted is objectionable... I'm not sure what etc. is, an I'm actually quite certain that posting a report that says "I'm sorry, I accidentally bumped an old topic," sounds a lot like communicating with moderators for other reasons.

So.....what should I do? Should I still post a report on myself and say... "sorry... didn't mean to... won't happen again?"

Well there's an 'etc' after the objectionable content, so I'm pretty sure reporting an accidental topic bump is okay. :yes:

Additionally, I think if your post in an old topic actually contributes significantly to the conversation, you can get away with the bump (not sure if that's been changed though).