Watch out! Scammers were about!

Mike.

Hey everyone,

If you haven't noticed, we have gotten a couple people who are trying to scam you with fake login pages. When they post the link, it reads as the real neopets login link (http://www.neopets.com/login.phtml) but it actually links to a fake login page. Please be very careful when you see suspicious things like this. You can always right-click and check the link location, too.

The members who have been doing this are now IP Banned and should be no threat, but be careful in the future!

Thanks,

TDN Staff

I read the one that Zafia posted! What exactly do they do when they make you log into a fake neopets login?

I hate people like this, I agree with my Dads way of thinking 'you should still be able to leave your keys in your car and your house unlocked and no one should invade your privacy' ... what is happening to the world.

Well, first of all, criminals are hackers, they go beyond the point to get something they want, although robbers are way wrose than hackers. The thing I don't get is the benefit of making a fake login page. Can they get into your account that way?

Yeah, once you submit your username info and password, they can use that info to get into your account. You don't actually get into your account by logging into a fake login page. All you do is send your info to the hacker.

You are getting confused. With links you can set "link text" and a "link url". The link text is what your eye sees, the link text is there the link will actually take you.

So, you will see www.neopets.com, but the link will really take you to a fake login page (a link url).

What Superfly meant was when you actually click on a link it will take you to a login page the looks similar, but if you look up at the URL you will see that is not actually www.neopets.com/login but something like www.neopots.com/login

Get it now? So what you have to do is if you open a link like that (which you shouldn't do anyways) you have to check up the top at the URL and make sure it is 100% correct, cause there are people out there that will always try to fool you.

Edit: Darn Superfly beat me to it :hmmph:

Okay, thanks for the tip, although I have been wondering why they want you to log on if you are online and you haven't logged off? I always thought someone had changed my password so Ihad to re-login, but that's not the case. Apparently it has nothing to do with the issue here, I would like to know.

It appears to me that those scammers have been banned, so we're safe *ahem* currently?

You do not need to re-log in if you are already logged into Neopets.

Yes, you are safe. ;) Just be cautious incase they come back.

Well there will always be people out there who try to get you. Thankfully TDN has a very strict policy on these kinds of things, so any scammer that is found on the Forums gets a instant IP Ban, that doesn't always stop them and I guess they could come back, but you just have to be careful and pay attention to what is being done around the place.

Edit: Dam Superfly you beat me to it again!!! :grrr:

No not necesarily. Scammers will go after anyone they can. Plus scammers don't know how much money you have in your bank, what items you have in your SDB and stuff like that. It just pays for everyone to be cautious, because it is not very likely that you are going to get any of that stuff back!!

Guest Sloth Von Karma
Well, first of all, criminals are hackers, they go beyond the point to get something they want, although robbers are way wrose than hackers. The thing I don't get is the benefit of making a fake login page. Can they get into your account that way?

First of all, yes, they can, if the person is ignorant to the point where they actually fall for it. Second, you've got the wrong end of the stick, literally. Hackers are criminals, but criminals are not always hackers. Therefore, people who scam others to get Neopets passwords, for example, aren't called hackers at all, but indeed lowlife scammers.

We must distinguish the difference between these two terms, and try to not confuse them in the future. Hackers have a much better life than merely hacking into simple Neopets accounts in order to gain some virtual points. They go for things that are much larger and challenging - like hacking a defense department or shutting down an important LAN with DDoS attacks.

Guest Levy

Wow, these scammers really have no lives do they. What, they can't rig a fake bank page so they are trying to steal fake currency? One word for this... EMBED THIS INTO YOUR HEADS SCAMMERS! YOU ARE PATHETIC!

Ouch o.o

Silly scammers probably don't know better...

Heh, I wonder what the POINT behind these stupid fake login pages are... o_O

I don't know WHY scammers exist, and WHY they want to scam people. :/

Scammers are simply sad, confused people who have no idea just how useless they are.

And a quick correction to something stated earlier in the topic: not all hackers are criminals. There are some hackers who perform malicious activities, but a hacker is essentially anybody who works to compromise a computer system, whether for ethical or non-ethical reasons. :yes:

Okay, I get the main point, but you lost me there. Technically, I am not a very big fan of words. However, I can understand that what you are trying to say is that scammers are not criminals, but they have no life. o_O That just about sums it up.

He was basically saying, not all hackers in the world are criminals. There are some bad hackers that causes trouble to your computer (viruses etc). There are some hired by Microsoft etc to test out their security. And others that can target websites for ethical or non-ethical reasons.

I myself know 1 hacker, (not sure if he does it anymore) But he owns a website/forum all about hacking and protecting your pc. Only websites he targets are racist un-ethical websites (which I respect because it takes rubbish off the net)