What does your name mean?

Revenge

Hello peoples. I thought this topic might be interesting, so...

I'd like to know the meaning behind your given names. Any reason or story behind the name given to you at birth? Ever googled your name or went on Wikipedia to find out what your name really means? Even if the meaning's just boringness, post it here. I, for one, have to say my name was actually a typo made in the hospital. A lot of people are confused when they read it aloud.

What say you?

My Full name is Carmarita Marie.

Carma means garden in hebrew

Rita means pearl in spanish

Marie is a variant of Mary which means star of the sea.

My name is what happens when your parent decides she is having a boy and never plans for a girl. I was named by my grandma and great aunt for two of my other great aunts, Cozie who is called Carma or Carmi, and Mary Rita who died in a fire at 2

My full name is Leviticus Jackson Wilson,

Leviticus is Greek, meaning 'relating to the Levites' A Levite is a member of the Hebrew tribe of Levi. Levi/Levy (meaning 'joining') was, according to the Book of Genesis, the third son of Jacob and Leah, and the founder of the Israelite Tribe of Levi (the Levites). The text of the Torah argues that the name of Levi refers to Leah's hope for Jacob to join with her, implying a derivation from yillaweh, meaning he will join. (Levi/Levy was the ancestor of Moses, the guy who parted the Red Sea and whom God gave the Ten Commandments.)

Jackson, my middle name, means just that, son of Jack. Jackson is of English origin and it was my great grandfather's middle name. Last name, son of William. William is an old German name, therefore Wilson originating from Germanic speaking originations.

I was given my first name by my mother, who simply liked how it sounded. I am not Jewish, I am Christian.

Though my mother has German on her side of the family, I will never know what my ethnicity is on my Father's side because my grandfather was adopted. I could have Asian in me for all I know.

I think that just about covers it. Now Revenge, its your turn. You started this topic and I'm gonna hound you till you participate. I just gotta know your first name. You know mine.

Yes, Revenge also has me curious with the whole typo thing..

My name: Anne Kristen

Anne means 'Grace,' as far as I know I am the first Anne in my family, my mom just liked the name. It is the french form of the name Hannah, and it is a traditional English name as well (royalty!) As my mom's side is French and my dad's side is English.. it works well.

Kristen: a feminine form of the name Christian... which means (drum roll please...) Christian. Guess what, I'm also not Jewish! I believe it's English

I just stuck that little blip about me not being Jewish because my name is in the Old Testament, which is the Jewish part of the Bible. I guess I forgot to put that Leviticus is the third book of the Bible.

My full name is 'Theodore Lee'.

'Theodore' means 'divine gift' in Greek.

'Lee' apparently means 'sheltered from the storm' (originating from English), but as this is an inherited family name I'm not sure if it has a different meaning taken from Chinese.

Revenge would prefer to keep his name confidential, for coolness reasons. He would ask that everyone still refer to him as 'Revenge' from this point on.

The thing is, my name doesn't have a real meaning since it was an accident. When the mistake was made, my dad got really confused and didn't change anything, with him not knowing much english (My entire family is spanish, save a few recent marrages). But really, I don't mind Jhon much, as it's different than what it was supposed to be, a very common name in america. But it still ticks me off when people pronounce it 'Jay-hon,' So, yeah. Now Levy can be all satisfied again.

Revenge!

(As for the last name, I have a plaque somewhere with it's full history. I just need to find it...)

Revenge would prefer to keep his name confidential, for coolness reasons. He would ask that everyone still refer to him as 'Revenge' from this point on.

The thing is, my name doesn't have a real meaning since it was an accident. When the mistake was made, my dad got really confused and didn't change anything, with him not knowing much english (My entire family is spanish, save a few recent marrages). But really, I don't mind Jhon much, as it's different than what it was supposed to be, a very common name in america. But it still ticks me off when people pronounce it 'Jay-hon,' So, yeah. Now Levy can be all satisfied again.

Revenge!

(As for the last name, I have a plaque somewhere with it's full history. I just need to find it...)

Umm... So do you still pronounce it like John?

My name is Marianne... I don't have a middle name as my parents don't like them and think they are difficult.. I am from a Dutch decent, and always thought my name was Dutch... But I just googled what it meant and they say it is a French name and is the combination of Marie and Anne.

I was actually named after my dad's younger sister who passed away at a very you age (think it was within two weeks of birth)... so yeah... suppose that is my name :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

HAHA! Yay, I can talk about my NAME and the JOY it has brought me. THANK YOU for this topic.

Amy- Beloved. It is french.

No real story behind being given it. My mother wanted to name be Laurel, but my father and sister firmly said no.

Kaylene (as it appears on my birth certificate) is my middle name. THAT was from my brother's girlfriend at the time I was born. It's supposed to be spelled Kayleen apparently. AND my social security card says kalene.

To top that off, I have two last names. No hyphen.

I struggled for two years to get my tax refund from the IRS trying to explain who I was and that I really existed. Finally got it this year. They wrote "Any" for my first name, and added an extra letter to one of my last names. Ironically, I received the check on April 1st.

I'm hoping to marry a man with a simple last name and get everything FIXED and normal at some point in my life.

My name is Gergana and it's the female version of Georgi (English version - George). It comes from the Greek georgos, meaning "farmer, earthworker", itself derived from the elements ge ("earth") and ergon "work"

My, I feel like grace itself... :evo:

Uh...I'm not going to tell my last name or middle name but my first name is Rachel. =)

Rachel means "lamb of god", "lovely" or "gentility and innocence of a rose". I have NO clue if I'm beautiful or not...I think I'm ugly xDD

My name may even mean the opposite of me :S (or so I claim)

So yeah, I practically hate my name. :eh:

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Leanne. Generally when i searched it's meaning online all I got was that it was a combination of "Lee" and "Anne" - which I kinda guessed myself anyway ^_^

Then I found this -

First name origins & meanings:

English: Graceful plum

Old English: Glade

Gaelic: Poet

English: Sheltered from the storm

Irish: Poetic

Chinese: Plum

Chinese: The graceful willow

The Gaelic and Irish are wrong though, I'm in no way poetic! *lol*

Oh, and my parents chose it simply by my mum narrowing the name's down to "Leanne" and "Lisa-Marie", then asking my dad which he preffered.

Crestina Alida

Crestina (Spanish) means daughter of Christ

Alida (Dutch) means angelic one

my first name was mispelt by my dad who only fould out when he got a call fro his mum in which she berated him about being a docter but still not knowing how to spell his daughter's own name

and

Alida was my mum's great grandmother's name

My name is Mark. I'm named after the guy in the Bible. One time, in school, a teacher asked us what we thought our names meant. Keep in mind, I was in grade school. Very young. I told her that I was "Mark" because I liked to draw. It was horrific what happened next. She actually made fun of me! She said something to the effect of... "what? Your mom knew you'd like to draw before you were born?"

Ah... youth and ignorance.

Guest Sandi

Young warrior. I think Evelyn means daughter of eve, or evening. I'm not sure though.

PS- Evelyn is not legally my middle name yet, Cause i get to choose it.

I'm pretty decided on Evelyn or some sort of made-up derivative (sp?)

Like,

Evelle

Evlele (ehv-leel)

Evearia (that sounds like a disease...hmm)

Elyll (ehl-lile)

^_^ It's cool that a bunch of people are interested in this topic I made. It makes me feel special. Go me! (Oh, and you guys, of course.)

Go names!.... Wow. look at those names go. *watches dancing names*

Guest jamieleigh

Jamie was derived from James, which was derived from Jacob. It is of Hebrew origin, and means Supplanter. Of course, when I first looked up my name to see what it meant, I had no earthly idea what supplanter meant, so I looked it up. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I read that a supplanter is "one who takes over, usually by force or deception.

So your name is Jhon? (Even if it ain't I'm gonna call you that for now on)

*Looks at Revenge and Levy, and gets the uneasy feeling she's looking at Ichigo and Uryu when they're at each other's throats* lol

My name is Heather McKinley.

Heather refers to the pink, white, and purple flowers that grow in the Scottish highlands. McKinley after the the 25th president, and I have the distinction of calling him a relative on my father's side.

At this moment, I'm not big on the disclosing my last name. No offense. Maybe later.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.