FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT: Fake Login Pages

Ian

Hello everybody,

We've had a few idiots and scammers sign up on our forums consistently posting FAKE LOGIN PAGES. Please BE CAREFUL when visiting links that are NOT posted by staff members! What the scammer will do is posted a text link such as "neopets.com" but the actual link tag will be pointed to a scam website! Again, please use caution when visiting outside links that are not posted by TDN staff members.

If you see any topics or posts containing scam links, please REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY and do NOT respond to it!

Thanks for helping us keep things safe!

~ Ian

Thanks Ian, the person/people who has been doing this is starting to bug me. In one day, they posted about 4 different links about the Sloth Plot that led to one of these login pages. It seems that they fooled a few people(like poor Usmstr :( ) and it is just wrong. These scammers make me sick.

Thanks for the heads up, this is definitely a problem everyone should be aware of.

Thanks Ian, the person/people who has been doing this is starting to bug me. In one day, they posted about 4 different links about the Sloth Plot that led to one of these login pages. It seems that they fooled a few people(like poor Usmstr :( ) and it is just wrong. These scammers make me sick.

Thanks for the heads up, this is definitely a problem everyone should be aware of.

Just a side note regarding your statement in bold - I've noticed this has been happening a bit around all Neopets fan sites.

While each is independent, I would like to stress that TDN users should be alert on the forums and also if you frequent other websites (regardless of them being Neopets related or not), since scammers find the most devious ways to conceal their links and rapidly gain access to poor unaware peoples' accounts.

Thanks.

Yes, we caught enough of these messages to put a post this announcement. Be careful when you browse the forum, especially RoS section. If a new part is out, we will provide full coverage and announce it in our news. Don't believe people who are speaking about a new step, a new solver or whatever they are talking about.

p_report.gif >>> This is the report button. It's located in the bottom left corner of each post!

Anime's Edit: (she's too lazy to post) p_report.gif or like that if you're useing the blue layout thingy.

In addition to what's been said, it's always a good policy (anywhere on the internet) to make sure the page you are on has the correct URL when entering login details.

Gack. Amateurs and their silly little tricks... they make me sick. Seriously.

Alright, thanks for the heads-up. Haven't come across any fake logins so far.

Ok! Keep your eyes peeled!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Matt) because of a violation of the forum rules.

More than 7 words a post please, Ian. Gosh. :)

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Offtopic: Lol, that was funny. You'd expect the rules writer to follow the rules.

Ontopic: Fools cheat. Losers try to cheat. Real people try to cheat but give up after a certain amount of failures. Try try try again, if you keep failing then get a different hobby.

Offtopic:

Anime's Edit: (she's too lazy to post) or like that if you're useing the blue layout thingy.

YAY! Love for the blue! *Thumbs up*

Hmm... well actually, if they make an exact copy of the Neopets login page to try and steal your account, then the correct term is 'pharming'. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Oh noes! Phishing is no fun.

Luckily for me, I couldn't care less what happens to my Neo account anymore. I haven't been on in probably a year. Who knows.

And remeber kidies, don't go phising without proper phish bait, phishing rods, and phishing galoshes. (can't forget these! The ever necesssary, rather dorky, phishing galoshes)

Wow, that was a BAD (very bad) joke. Please don't even laugh it was just... no. Don't laugh. I warn you.

*Laughs* :P

@Dillon: Pharming is a perfectly valid term for a sophisticated technique of identity theft. :yes:

I'm saying that if you are redirected to a bogus login page somehow (through a modified DNS for example), then it's technically classified as 'pharming'. You can't argue with technicality.

Guest Public Enemy #1 Levy

I looked it up. Phishing refers to someone verbally (or textally (fun wif vords)) asking for the ID and Pass. Pharming is like he said, redirecting to a fake login page to get the info.