Hamster and Bunny owners come here!

Ellie_Penguin

I plan to adopt a hamster or a bunny, but I don't know much about taking care of one. I need to know pretty much the sleep and play schedule of a hamster. I know their diets and the type of habitat they need. How much does a hamster cost and its supplies? And same questions for a bunny.

If I get a hamster or a bunny, I want to give it the best so that's why I'm asking these questions to owners. Thank you so much!

I have a BlackBear hamster...so cute! Anyways, hamsters are nocturnal.....so they wil be awake at night and sleep during the day...

He loves to eat peanuts, sunflower and pumpkin seds, celery, and carrots! We also have a plastic hamster ball for him to run around in :D

His cage is a rather large metal cage with 2 stories (they love to climb and crawl through things, like tubes) The cage is covered with a layer of paper towels covered with pine shavings. He sleeps in a wooden box filled with holes for him to crawl in and out.

Aww that's so cute! I plan to keep the hamster in my room or the kitchen, but I would prefer my room. If the hamster is nocturnal, does it make too much noise? Does it need a lot of attention? I go to school in the morning and come home at noon, so will it be okay while I'm away?

EDIT: Does your hamster bite? I wouldn't mind if my hamster bit me, but I would like to know XD.

You should be fine if you leave your hamster home for a few hours, he probably won't even though that you've gone! xD They don't make a lot of noise, unless you want a wheel, which sometimes squeak a lot....my hamster's does anyways :P No, my hamster doesn't bite, most don't, unless you get them seiously annoyed and wound up.

If I can get my hamster to stay still, I'll post some pics later :)

Edit: This isn't my hamster, but it looks just like him xD

Jellysmall06.JPG

For about a day...just to feed them, give them a water bottle and they are set for the rest of the week. Though, I have a food bowl for my hamster, so he can get the food himself.....it's still a good idea to check in on them and play with them everyday at least ;)

Perfect! Then I can have a hamster. I only go to school until noon, then I'm home for the rest of the day. Meaning, I'll have plenty of time to play with my hamster XD. How much does it cost to buy one, though? And the supplies? Just an aprox. value.

You can hold and play with the hamster, right?

Of course! It might take a while for your hamster to become used to you, but after a while it will start to respond to your voice and motions! It's good to play with your hasmter a lot so that it doesn't become lonely!

One thing I should mention is hamster's breeding capabilities.. xD IF you don't want to have about 20 babies overnight, I would recommend getting one male hamster (females are a little moody and not as fun to have as a pet xD) or if you want more hamster make sure they are the same gender, or keep them in seperate cages. Males are none to fight over females, and you wouldn't want that! ;)

Well, food and bedding is moderately cheap, maybe $5 dollars for a few pounds of food (good for a month or so) and bedding can be sold in bulk at Wal-Mart or any specialized pet store. Cages range from $30-$100 depending on what kind you want. If you get one of those fancy plastic ones, make sure your hamster can fit in the tubs though! I would recommend getting a metal cage with bars that remove from the bottom, they will last longer and by far are easier to wash. My hamster cost about $20 but can range anywhere from $10 to $50

Hamsters cost around $8.00 usually. Although hamsters are adorable and cute, I would recommend a gerbil instead. They are generally sweeter than hamsters and smarter too. (If you get a gerbil, keep the cage locked TIGHT)

Hamsters and gerbils are both very wonderful pets, but they do have special needs. Their teeth grow from the day they are born til the day they die. This means that without proper care, its teeth will grow through the roof of the mouth. (Obviously your pet will die) Be sure to keep some sort of cardboard in there for them to nibble on. (The shredded cardboard also works to make more bedding) Cup holders from Sonic are very fun for them; turn it upside down and its a great house. They also like toilet paper tubes to run through. I kept my gerbils in a giant aquarium because I hated them chewing on the metal bars.

I kept hamsters and gerbils for a very, very long time. If you need answers I would be happy to give them.

Solution for the squeaky wheel problem that might potentially keep you up at night. =D

Spray like cooking grease on the part where the spinning part connects to the non-spinning part, you won't even know there is a wheel in the cage after that. =D

You might have to reapply the grease monthly or what not, but it works great.

Edit: also, if your hamster has a tail, get a tail-safe wheel, or your hamster with a tail, might be a tailless hamster soon enough.

Hi, I'm a bunny owner. ^_^

Animals are like humans: they have all their own personality. I find rabbits really smart and cute. Mine is a small female, really bright and stubborn in the same time. She likes to sleep during afternoon and play during the morning and the evening; she loves caresses.

So, but it seems I'm a little bit late and you make your decision. :S

Princess, have you actually been around hamsters?

A lot of species do indeed have tails. My brother's gerbil bit my hamster's tail before should I should know.

That darn gerbil was nothing but trouble.

My hamster was sleeping when the gerbil attacked it as well. Talk about a coward...

(Note: The hamster's tail only had a slight cut and healed within a day or so after applying medication. He was perfectly fine. Also, the encounter between my hamster and the gerbil was not done on purpose.)

I had two dwarf bunnies a long time ago. They were so cute. ^_^ If you want a bunny, you have to keep them locked up at night, or wild animals get to them. Bunnies eat heaps because if they stop eating, their stomachs close down.