In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

poppy.jpg

This poem, by Canadian Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, was written on May 3rd, 1915 after he witnessed the death of his friend in the Second Battle of Ypres. It is the most popular reminder that we must remember the millions who died in the World Wars and other conflicts since. At 11.00 on 11th November 1918, the armistice which led to the end of the First World War was signed, and this day is now used to remember the service and ultimate sacrifice men and women have given in war throughout the world. In the Commonwealth and Europe, a poppy symbolises remembrance of the lives lost.

Services of remembrance are being held throughout the world; from the Cenotaph in London, to Washington DC, to bases in Afghanistan and Iraq. Take some time today to remember those who gave their lives so that you could live.

:yes: Very nice post - although it scared the crap out of me when I got on this morning and there was a poem on TDN's frontpage...I said in my head "I don't remember posting that before I went to bed." Silly Samuel never forgets the important holidays.

Thats a pretty cool post.

And everywhere does the 2 minute silence. Its tradition(well probaly not everywhere)

I remember work this morning, we were preparing for it like 5 minutes along, making sure all the customers were quiet.

Though at 10:58, they were still talking loudly and not listening, so we thought better not take any chance, So we kicked all the customers out in the rain while we sat there in silence :P

today I got deep in trouble for saying poppy's for dorks at school as a joke and stuff and then ast the assebly in was so dark showed a couple video I find the most sad was the songTT^TT btw my subsitude teacher acted emo at the end she was crying and stuff and everyone in my class was like wth?O.o and then she like my mom and dad came back from the war but that little boy did'nt.... And started crying like really CRYING O.o

Jennifer, stop labeling others at this instant. It's not "emo" if you cry at something such as this. And I find it awefully disrespectful that you find that weird. The effects of wars can be extrememly powerful on others and can even change lives.

it is sad I mean seeing your own friends dieing there one time this guy in this book told us he was in a military and told how hard it was he said one of the toughest thing to see is seeing your own men died cause they were crossing ssinking mud and then he saw like 6 man drown in the mud he could'nt help them cause if he helped them he would drown too...