Nerves

The Original Luna

I recently entered one of my poems into a poetry contest,

The reply was:

Dear Luna, 

Not long ago, our Editors reviewed the thousands of submissions entered in our International Open Amateur Poetry Contest, and they awarded your poem the prestigious Editor's Choice Award. This is an honor awarded to only 12% of the submissions we receive. Now that the first round of the judging process is complete, your poem will enter the next level of judging, becoming eligible for the $10,000 Annual Grand Prize that will be awarded in January 2008. We wish you the best of luck with this next phase of the contest.

Since we announced the names of the winners, many recipients have contacted me and requested a way to display their achievement; therefore, I put our artists and designers to work. We were able to create our most exquisite and distinguished wall plaque ever. This year, we are offering this limited edition wall plaque commemorating your achievement as an Editor's Choice Award recipient. Each certificate is numbered, signed, and mounted on a solid maple plaque. This beautiful display piece truly honors your accomplishment!

As an Editor's Choice Award winner, we're sure you'll want to improve your craft and further your involvement in poetry. There's no better way to do that than by joining the International Society of Poets (ISP), the largest poetry organization in the world. As a member of the ISP, you'll receive a quarterly magazine filled with articles, contests, and lots of poetry. In addition, you will be part of an organization that promotes PEACE—Poetry, Education, Accomplishment, Charity, and Equality. Please join the thousands of members who have submitted poetry, including Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former U.S. President Bill Clinton, and the late "Man in Black," Johnny Cash. 

Go here for membership details.

The plaque and membership are individually valued at $135.00, but today you can order them together for $75.00 (plus $14.00 shipping & handling), which is a $60.00 discount off the regular retail price. Please take the time to review the benefits of becoming a member of the International Society of Poets and join today. We'll send your Editor's Choice Award plaque and membership package immediately upon your acceptance of this offer.

Sincerely,

Howard Ely
Managing Editor

However, something wrong happened and I accidentally mistyped some important information (won't disclose) and I feel that may be making me cheat.

arghh!

Luna, you rock. :P I don't think it'll cause much trouble - you're just using a pen name.

Thanks guys- I'll keep in touch with regards to the competition.

----------------------------

Dear Luna Ayre,

Recently, we informed you by mail and by email that our editors have certified your poem "The Hungry Ones" as a semi-finalist in our International Open Poetry Contest. If you have already returned your proof, we thank you for your timely response. But if you haven't done so . . .

Luna . . . Imagine Your Poem Featured On

A Page By Itself In A Beautiful Coffee-table Edition!

As I also mentioned in my letter, and in celebration of the unique talent that you have displayed, we wish to publish your poem in what promises to be one of the most highly sought-after collections of poetry we have ever published. Immortal Verses* will be a classic, coffee-table quality hardbound volume printed on fine-milled paper specifically selected to last for generations. It will make a handsome addition to any library, a treasured family keepsake, and a highly-valued personal gift. And best of all, this magnificent volume will showcase the poetry of Luna Ayre on an entire page itself!

NO OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER

Before going any further, Luna, let me make one thing clear . . . your poem was selected for publication based on your unique talent and artistic vision. We believe it will add to the importance and appeal of this edition. In this regard, you are under no obligation whatsoever to submit any entry fee, any subsidy payment, or to make a purchase of any kind. Of course, many people do wish to own a copy of the anthology in which their artistry appears. If this is the case, and you have not already ordered or reserved your copy, we welcome your order - and guarantee you will be satisfied. Please see your special discount information if you would like to order a copy of Immortal Verses*.

SO WHAT HAPPENS NOW?

Regarding the publication of your poetry, if you have not already returned your proof with your approval to publish, you must now proofread your poem, which appears on your Artist's Proof. Please carefully review your poem for typographical errors and make any necessary changes. The Artist's Proof also verifies that "The Hungry Ones" is your original work of art. And Luna, let me assure you, your poem remains your property - Immortal Verses* is copyrighted as a compilation. This means that you retain the copyright to your own work of art.

And if you haven't done so already, you must also decide if you would like to have some personal information about yourself and your poetry included in this elegant edition. In this way, readers can gain a greater awareness of your motivations, the meaning poetry has in your life, the story behind your poem, or your personal or philosophical point of view. Your biography will be featured on a page by itself, directly opposite your poem - you will thus have two full pages in the book devoted to you and your artistry. And although we must charge a nominal fee for this service, you are under no obligation to include this information. Your poem can be published without it if you wish. Please see your Artist's Proof for further information.

Again, congratulations, Luna. We feel you have a special talent and we believe your poem will add to the importance and appeal of this edition. Your contribution to Immortal Verses* is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Howard Ely

Managing Editor

P.S. Luna, you should be genuinely proud of your accomplishment. You have been selected to participate in this very special edition because of your unique vision. It is our pleasure to publish fine poetry such as yours in this historic volume. And, if you decide to order Immortal Verses*, we are so certain that you will love the quality of the edition and the way your poetry is presented, we can proudly offer an unconditional guarantee. If for any reason you are dissatisfied, simply return your book within 90 days and your money will be promptly refunded.

You may also return the Artist's Proof we previously mailed you if you find that more convenient than ordering online. If you have not responded, we must hear from you soon if you wish to be included in this historic poetry edition. If you have already returned your Artist's Proof by mail, you need take no further action to authorize publication.

Proofread your poem and order the hardbound anthology now!

Read what others have to say!

* Immortal Verses is a working series title only. The actual title of your book may differ.

Yeah Luna.

Poetry.com is a scam

This is a site that will explain about it.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/poetry.co...FF&aff_id=0

Site Advisor is a Mcafee free download for firefox/IE. It tells you if a site is bad or not by the alert in the bottom right. At this site, it is Red (ie Bad)

Though it may be okay, because some comments are Good and some are Bad

Yeah, that is kinda sad. But according to this article, the site isn't exactly a scam - more of a vanity publisher.

Yeah, that is kinda sad. But according to this article, the site isn't exactly a scam - more of a vanity publisher.

It is a scam because, they ask you for money and you don't get published. Sure, they make a book of the people who paid, but the books are only for those people. Therefore, you really aren't published.

Anyways, lucky I didn't end up paying a cent. I didn't know it was a scam until a year after I entered. It happened to me I believe between 2003-2005. That's why when I read Luna's post about the e-mail, I just knew it was them. :( I'm so sorry Luna.

I entered a poetry contest. It got put in a book. It's purple :P i was like in third grade lol. it was on Hiawathia. It was an acrostic.

I think what they did was they people who were put in got the book for a discount then you could offer it to relatives or friends. And then later, I think theat you could order it if you were part of the public that didn't receive the book before. Of course you still had to pay.

But that really stinks Luna. I'm rally sorry that they almost got you.