Brain Teasers 2

Myriad

Well, the answer says: Patrick-When something is in a state of difficulty or ruin - as was Patrick's depressed action figure - that is described as being "on the ROCKS". But I think that sounds pretty good! The next one isn't very hard. Sorry.

What's so unique about the word "redivider"?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be flipped around and still say the same thing. :D

That was really too easy. :P

AA that is called a palindrome, although I am sure you already knew that. Pity you beat me to it, I would have gotten that...

Well, I said it was easy. So this one is REALLY hard. :D

Philomath sits down at his computer at twelve o'clock and starts his English assignment. He types the first four sentences and then discovers to his amazement that a strange virus seems to have affected his computer. For even though he types in English and according to the correct letters as denoted by his keyboard, a baffling array of letters appear. Below is a transcript of what he typed:

Sicop n ivuykce ujhi yu h adwxes'u ged?

Zowd kct nqui qucmug lne orvj zluyocaug:

Uszmo erxos ep vlfql bqo oasnlrl hblb yq Mcb,

Esj zcvwpr't nhexk oicr llm vr wmuyb j nltf.

He has forgotten what he has written so he tries to decipher the code to avoid having to start again. After one hour, he still hasn't figured it out. He then looks at the clock on the wall and decodes his assignment.

What is the virus doing and what does the above say?

It's probably a good thing I'm a reasonably competent codebreaker - I'll get right on this one. :evil:

Edit: It's a simple shifting substitution code. You can imagine placing all the letters around a clock, with each letter corresponding to one of the numbers (with S matching up to 12, then I to 1, C to 2, O to 3, etc.). The difference between the letter displayed and the actual letter entered is equal to the number it corresponds to on the clock (with the exception of 12, which means the difference is zero). Therefore all you have to do to decipher to riddle is to count that particular number of letters backwards along the alphabet for each character, starting back at 12 again when you cycle around the clock. Oddly enough the virus doesn't seem to have affected the punctuation...

I haven't done a very good job of explaining this have I. :P Oh well, the decoded text is:

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And summer's lease hath all to short a date

But the guy made a grammar mistake! :ohno: In the last line it should be 'too', not 'to'.

AA all I can say is :O

That was amazing(assuming you're right which I think you are)...

Well it probably comes from the code obsession I had a few months back. :P I read a book on codes and starting making/breaking various different encryption methods.

Well it probably comes from the code obsession I had a few months back. :P I read a book on codes and starting making/breaking various different encryption methods.

Oooh that's pretty neat, though I'm making a project about how classical ciphers work it took me a while to figure it out. Way to go AA, don't you ever dare say your IQ is dropping, where will that put the rest of us? =P

Exactly! I still can't believe you got it so quickly. :O

The next one is really hard as well. :D

A group of friends, who have not seen each other for a long time, met in their favorite restaurant one early morning.

ASTAIRE, the biggest in the group, remarked, "Must have been millions of years since we were together. "AFFLECK, the one wearing elephant pants, nodded in agreement. ANTHONY kept on complaining about the extremely cold weather back home. EUGENE, who was from the mainland, was needling SAMPRAS and NAMIER. "These neighbors are inseparable." AUSTIN, the smallest, invited everybody to his cattle farm.

The waitress, who was patiently waiting for the orders, said to herself, "Kinda strange, but these guests remind me of something." She then said," May I suggest BREAD ROLLS, JAM, BUTTER, SLICES OF CHEESE, FRUIT JUICE, and COFFEE or TEA ?"

QUESTION: What was in the mind of the waitress?

That one's fairly easy. The names of the people are the names of the continents.

Astaire = Asia

Affleck = Africa

Anthony = Antarctica

Eugene = Europe

Sampras and Namier = South America and North America

Austin = Australia

When they describe the people, they're describing also symbols of the continent (i.e. the elephant pants)

Yep!

Locate each missing letter noted. Guessed correctly and placed expertly, the answer will please all who see.

LEM?N

G?APE

?AWPAWS

Oh, and the correct answers are NOT O, R, and P. That would be too easy.

The letters are L, C, T. They're the first letters in the words of the sentence.

It's a good thing I've seen this type of puzzle before, or I wouldn't have gotten it at all.

(L)ocate (E)ach (M)issing (?)etter (N)oted. (G)uessed (?)orrectly (A)nd (P)laced (E)xpertly, (T)he (A)nswer (W)ill (P)lease (A)ll (W)ho (S)ee.

^ I think that's what Strategos meant.

Yes. I liked that one. It was fun. :) The next one is kind of long. . .

A witch owns a field containing many gold mines. She hires one man at a time to mine this gold for her. She promises 10% of what a man mines in a day, and he gives her the rest. Because she is blind, she has three magic bags who can talk. They report how much gold they held each day, and this is how she finds out if men are cheating her. Upon getting the job, each man agrees that if he isn't honest, then he will be turned into stone. So around the witch's mines, many statues lay!

Now comes a honest man named Garry. He accepts the job gladly. The witch, who didn't trust him said, "If I wrongly accuse you of cheating me, then I'll be turned into stone."

That night, Garry, having honestly done his first day's job, overheard the bags talking to the witch. He then formulated a plan...

The next night, he submitted his gold, and kept 1.6 pounds of gold.

Later, the witch talked with her bags. The first bag said it held 16 pounds that day. The second one said it held 5 pounds. The third one said it held 2 pounds. Beaming, the witch confronted Garry. "You scoundrel, you think you could fool me. Now you shall turn into stone!" the witch cried. One second later, the witch was hard as a rock, and very grey-looking. How did Garry brilliantly deceive the witch?

Did he put the two smaller weighted bags into the 16 pound one? Like bag 3 had two pounds and bag 2 had five pounds - then the first one had nine pounds, plus the other two bags' (totaling 16 pounds in that bag)?

I'm not sure I really get this one though - if the bags said he had mined 23 pounds and he only took 1.6 pounds for himself thats less than his 10% so why did the witch try to say he cheated her?

Aang's answer is correct, but I guess that's what you were trying to say? So I'll give a point to each of you.

The next one is very odd. It's was in the 'Other' section.

Five men are fishing.

1st man: Wow! That's a huge fish!

2nd man: Watch out for that whirlpool!

3rd man: I've got him in the mesh nets!

4th man: We could get big money from selling that fish!

What is the name of the fifth man?

It confused me so I looked it up as well. It's very tricky and weird, but it made me chuckle for some reason...