Bronchitis. The bane of my life.

Crusher

I have had Bronchitis for about 3 weeks now. Bronchitis is basically a really bad Influenza (the flu). Symptoms include a runny nose, watery eyes, inflamed throat and above all lotsa phlegm (yay!) <_< . I was using pharmacutical tablets for about a week before switching to prescription antibiotics. When that didn't fix me, I got another lot of them (they're called E-Mycen). Now I can't have any more and I'm getting worse. I've also used Vicks Vapodrops and Lemsip Max. Any ideas on getting well? :sad02:

Crusher

I'm sorry you have bronchitis. I was once sick with bronchitis AND the strep throat. Not. a. good. combination.

Mmm...I can't really tell you anything. Half of the time I was either asleep or half-asleep, and I can't remember the treatment I received. :(

Well, I don't know much myself, but I could look it up for you. You have acute bronchitis right?

Of course there's different types. There's acute, and then there's anugly. XP What I'm going to recommend is that you try steam. If you can get into a gym or spa that has a steam room, sweat the sickness out of you. That's how I always get better. Just remember to drink lots of water.

There are two main different forms of bronchitis: there's acute bronchitis, which is temporary and caused by viruses/bacteria (you can divide this into the viral form, which goes away by itself, and the bacterial form, which you treat with antibiotics), and chronic bronchitis which is more permanent and can be caused by irritants in the air.

It is most definately Acute. Besides, how can I tell if it's ugly or not if it's so small? :P.

But, seriously, I've never had it before in my life. I believe it may also contain traces of other germs too though as there has recently been several MAJOR outbreaks of various viruses at my school. The school has 1,500 students and for about a wekk 1,000 of them were off sick. Including me. :(.

Crusher

Woah - that's a lot. Anyway, do you have any idea whether it's viral or bacterial? Because if it's viral, there's nothing much you can do except to try and stay healthy.

So did you get a diagnosis from a doctor? I once had dehydration, and by the time I got round to the doctor it was really bad and I took weeks to recover.

Seems like you have a small epidemic there. I'll keep looking, but I don't really think I know anything that'll help.

Pretty much what I've found so far is:

- get plenty of rest

- drink lots of fluids

- you might or might not want to try cough syrup

- avoid smoke and fumes

Oh, and another note: if your cough brings up mucus, it's better not to suppress it as it's helping to clear your airways.

Another tip: you could use an air humidifier to increase the moisture content of the air.