Wildlife

Crusher

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I double-checked and you did attack her. Anyway, that doesn't mean you can't attack someone else next week. :) This is going to get better and tougher each week. Next week we will try to incorperate some stats of some sort. Also, everyone's health has been updated on the first post. If you want to check anyone's stats, go there. Remember, it's usually better to attack someone with low defence because you'll do more damage.

Crusher

It should be up later today NST if Cameron gets on and clears it. If not, then it'll be up tomorrow.

Scenario Challenge: Week 2

It is your second week on the island, and you are starting to look around for a reliable food source, since it's now becoming clear that you'll be here for a really long time. As you walk, something catches your eye in a nearby clearing. Your hunger overcomes your instinctive inhibitions and you head over to investigate. Big mistake. As soon as you step into the clearing, the ground gives way and you find yourself falling downwards along a steep ramp. When you finally hit bottom, it's pitch dark, and you stand still for a moment while your eyes adjust to the light.

After about a minute, you find that thanks to the dim glow of light from the hole you dropped through (which is now far out of reach), you can make out your surroundings. You're trapped in a room with no exits, with the exception of the entrance which you can't reach, and what's even more disturbing, your surroundings are resemblent of a giant chessboard. There are chess pieces about five meters high standing around you, as well as the shattered remains of many others, almost as if they've been having a real battle. You start to walk around trying to find a way out.

After half an hour of fruitless searching, you spot something. Underneath the white king, the floor seems slightly different somehow. Maybe it's a trapdoor or something. You move to investigate, but as you approach him, the white king suddenly turns its head and glares at you. Noticing his monster sword, you decide it's not quite safe to approach. However, looking at the board around you, an idea dawns.

WildlifeScenario2.jpg

You realise that your idea is a correct one when the black king looks at you and nods. Your only chance of escape is to checkmate the white king in the next move. Which black piece should you move and to where?

Have fun killing each other this week! :P

Remember, you need to state in your PM the position the piece that you want to move is on, AND where you want to go. Failure to answer this correctly will lead to a 15 health loss. Correctly answering it will gain you 10 health. Also, remeber to PM ME, NOT AA. Thankies, and good luck! :)

Crusher

This took me a while to figure out, but I hit myself when I figured out just how simple it was. TIP TO EVERYONE: Try putting it into paint and cutting/pasting the pieces. If you can't do that, then try pulling out a real board. Just looking at this image and doing it mentally is a lot more difficult than if you can actually see it. ^_^ Oh, and it is possible. It took me 10-15 minutes to figure it out, but it is possible. Most of that time was finding the board in my basement. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

If anyone does not understand the rules of chess, post it here. Please don't PM me about it, my mailbox is already about to be clogged! To answer this you need to able to understand how to force a checkmate, and how the pieces move. Like Smumpkins said, it's dead easy. If you get stuck, try to check every available move for each piece, and see if that would affect the game.

I'll go ahead and post what the pieces each do.

Pawns (the ones that look like doorknobs) are virtually worthless. They can only move forward one space per turn, unless it's the first move for that piece (then it can move two spaces). To take a piece, must move one space to the forward diagonal space to take a piece.

Rooks (the ones that look like a castle tower) can move as many spaces it wants in one of these directs: Up, down, left and right. Cannot move diagonally.

Bishops (look like little Pope hats :pope: ) can move as many spaces they wants as long as it's in a straight diagonal path. Cannot move up, down, left or right.

Knights (looks like a horse) can move only in an L pattern. Moves 2 spaces either vertically or horizontally, and then moves one space horizontally or vertically, making the standard L move.

King (the less pointy crown {piece cannot be taken, or you lose}) can move only one space up, down, left, right or diagonal.

Queen (the pointier crown) can move as many spaces they want in one of these directions: up, down, left, right or diagonal. This piece is generally the favorite piece of chess.

Just a couple more chess definitions:

Check - placing your opponent's king in 'check' means making a move that puts one of your pieces in a position where it could take your opponent's king in the next move.

Checkmate - 'checkmating' your opponent means making a move where your pieces are positioned in such a way that there is no move your opponent can make to save his/her king, and you win. Please note that in order for a move to be a checkmate, at least one of your pieces must be placing your opponent's king in check, otherwise it is just a stalemate (draw).

I hope that's clear enough - I played chess from an early age so yeah. <_<