Digging the 'Neopet Rebellion'?

Samuel

Digg.com - the massively popular link-sharing site similar to del.icio.us - currently places a Neopets Petpage as it's 9th most 'digged' webpage, out of thousands of other articles.

The site - which allows users to submit links, where other users "digg" them to show support for the page and to get the message around - is totally user run, and this link currently has over 1000 diggs in just 6 hours, and at one point was the 7th most digged page. The page itself? neopets.com/~spazzmic_doom.

The page talks about a new 'Neopets Rebellion' - calling users to protest against the NC Mall, announced weeks ago by press release, which allows users to purchase temporary Neopets Customisation items for a US Dollar fee. It cites Neopets Inc (the company prior to MTVN's takeover) promise that it would never charge users for playing the site.

Neopets.com has already responded to the questioning in this weeks Neopian Times editorial.

"First, Neopets is still free! We can't stress that enough. You do NOT have to buy from the Mall, and the items that you can buy in no way affect game play. (We've worked very, very hard on that fact.) It's merely an extra option for those folks who would like to pay...Neopets has grown so large over the years that we honestly have had to do things we never thought we'd do in order to keep the site free to play for everyone. Being a business, we can't just "break even" and call it a happy day. If Neopets doesn't turn a profit (in business terms, it's called "a reasonable rate of investment...") well, we'd disappear pretty quickly. :( No one is going to continue to keep pouring millions into supporting a business that doesn't make a lot of money in return."

"We're sure everyone would love to see all the ads ripped down, no more paying for anything, and not even have sponsor games on the site. Unfortunately, though, Neopets would then go bankrupt and cease to exist, so we HAVE to care about money. We know money puts a lot of stress on relationships (both ours with you all, and those closer to you)...We don't necessarily like certain ads either, but we also need to accept the fact that without money and the company making a profit, Neopets can't exist. So we have to try and balance the two. If we only cared about money and not about our players, we could do a lot worse things than offer optional clothing for a few bucks. So please...of what it takes to run a business of this magnitude, and understand we have to do what we can to create a balance between profit and player happiness. "

Whilst we don't condone the petpage, it has certainly become a hit on Digg.

What to you think? Join in the debate on tdnforums.com.

There's quite a simple answer to this prompt. Neopets is a company, they do not care about their users. They aren't going to create things on the website just for the sake of creating things on the website... it's just one way to give them more money. Sure the people that run Neopets are just like us and have feelings and care for (some) people, but they honestly don't. They just want a paycheck.

So, basically the business idea is to create a product that creates needs which allows them to create another product to meet that need, which in turn gives them a lot moreee money. Neopets is a company. They don't do good deeds; they want money. It's about money. Yes, they are going to a very desperate level of selling virtual items for real cash, but hey - they've got the fans. Why not make more money if you can?!

Hmmm... ;)

I don't get it. They said, and I totally agree with them, that the site itself is still free! No one says theres anything wrong with your Neopet running around sparkle-less. I don't know why people are complaining about the NC Mall! Other free games also charge money for extra stuff, but it doesn't keep you from having fun, does it? If you want the clothes, then you can pay for them. It's not like Neopets isn't releasing new clothes for pets EVERY time they update the new features. /end rant. o_O

Really, I take no sides. I have no intention of dressing up my pets (unless Battledome weapons to dress up your pet appear in the NC Mall- then we have a problem) anytime soon, and as long as Neopets doesn't close down, I'll ignore the NC Mall. *nods knowingly*

I don't think people some people are getting the idea that NC Mall is just to purchase temporary items for those who are willing to pay. Neopets still has a whole bunch of wearable stuff and the site is still free. Also, you cannot resell the items you paid with real money, for neopoints. I don't see what all the fuss is about o_O

The NC is just another way to keep the site running. Its like they said in the editorials, they have to contently advance to keep up in the future.

But Ian about the "neopets don't care about users", i would agree with you, but the question is. All these big shopping websites like high street shops coming into the Internet world. they couldn't care less about users. they just need money. I think the users have to learn that TNT need money their selves, so some parts of sites will cost money.

We're going to get into a debate here, aren't we. Uh-oh. BAGSY NOT MODERATING. (Kidding, Mr Ian. I'll be good.)

I wouldn't say they don't care about the players, just that there's so many that they can't please them all. I mean, the Altador Cup, the Daily Dare, the Lost Desert Plot. Would they have bothered with them if they thought you wouldn't like them?

But yeah. They need money and this is just one way they can get it. Personally, I'd say if they got some more... relevant ads to me, then they might get some more revenue from that, rather than just blocking my navigation with an advert for Jimmy Neutron. <_<

Hmm. I guess that's one point of view.

Although, we must consider the users who are absolutely not allowed to (whether because of parental consent problems or financial problems) buy any of those 'awesome' things. It's like seeing another kid eating candy, when you yourself cannot.

I somewhat understand why Neopets has made that change. I mean, we live in a money oriented society, where most things have a cost except the ones that are most important (ex. love, happiness).

However, it's not fair that they promised and swore that they'd stay free and did not.

I had been on Neopets when it first came out (and HEY! I'm NOT old. I'm 13, but when I was 5, I was on Neopets playing Meerca Chase), and I must say, it was much different. When it first started out, it was fresh, new, developing. And although consistency is not always the best, they need to know when it IS the best.

After a looong year break from Neopets (what can I say, even I got bored of Meerca Chase), I come back to all these ads and marketing schemes. Surveys and weird navigational pages.

But now that those Neopians who cannot afford those things are taking a stand; a rebellion, the only question is;

Will they listen?

-chewyy<33.

I disagree with the people saying "neopets doesen't care about us" sure they do , and you can see by all of those small touches around the site that they are really putting their soul and perseonality on the site . but you must realize , they don't have choise , they have ALOT of workers and other things who need to be payd and they also need money to keep growing . like we learned at school - a good company is a company that satisfies it's costumers and makes profits . and they have to and try to balance both . they can't make all users happy but not get any cash , and if they's only think about money , most of the site would cost you real cash along time ago...

if someone doesent care about users it's Viacom , neopets work with them because they are a part of their financial stand , and development . viacom doesent care that much if your happy , they just do theyr job , and you can see TNT are really strugeling on keeping their promises but still getting enough money , which they deserve - do you really think that would be fair if TNT would strugle to just live and get paid just so you could play for free? or live with a standart pay after all their sucsess? I don't think so , and don't start the whole "they get paid from adds and merchendise" with me , we all know not that much people but their merchendise and what about adds? someof you just block them!! ... :worried:

I still wish that the mall wouldn't be working on real cash... not onlybecause the cash problem but mostly the credit accses card and wrong country problem that limits alot of users including me... :mellow: but I guese it's somehow ok... they care creating somef buyable with NP cloths ... the real fun things are still free ...

There's quite a simple answer to this prompt. Neopets is a company, they do not care about their users. They aren't going to create things on the website just for the sake of creating things on the website... it's just one way to give them more money. Sure the people that run Neopets are just like us and have feelings and care for (some) people, but they honestly don't. They just want a paycheck.

So, basically the business idea is to create a product that creates needs which allows them to create another product to meet that need, which in turn gives them a lot moreee money. Neopets is a company. They don't do good deeds; they want money. It's about money. Yes, they are going to a very desperate level of selling virtual items for real cash, but hey - they've got the fans. Why not make more money if you can?!

Hmmm... ;)

:grrr: I am SO ANGRY as of right now.SERIOUSLY. :grrr:

What they do:

-Run a site

-Put up with complaints

-CODE site.

-DRAW the neopets.

-RE-draw the neopets.

-Draw the clothes

-Put up with glitches

-Put up with scammers/spammers

-Come up with the ideas

-They code the php.You know how HARD php is?

-Put up with the complainers

-Try to make everyone happy

-And more I can't even think of!!!!

They're really joyous and incredibly awesome people.But since it's growing, it's hard to make neopets free.They want the site free, but they have to make money, right?They work for 12-14 hours (like they said, 8 hours is the average work time).What do they get?COMPLAINERS!People who think they don't care about us!Do you think they deserve that?NO!What in the world is wrong with you?!? :angry: :angry: :angry:

P.S. I agree with you, MoonKnight.

For the first time, I strongly disagree with Ian's point of view. If TNT did not care about their users, no problems would be solved, no scammers would be dealt with, and there would be no special events! Most of this arguement is about spending real money to buy FEW of the many wearable clothes in Neopia. It is clearly stated at the bottom that the items expire in 90 days, so no scamming is done. Ding! TNT cares enough about their users that they warn them of the risks they take! Finally, in the recent editorial, TNT states that they DO care about the people who play, but money is also an important issue in keeping the site running. The solution? Create a part of the site that will allow people who want to spend their money buy some cool clothes not available to anyone else. It gives them no advantage whatsoever in the game of Neopets, it's just a little extra bonus.

I rest my case.

TNT do care about their members, because their members are the ones who buy things off the NC mall. . . I kind of agree, but disagree with the mall at the same time, if that makes sense? I know it doesn't. =/ But it's an all-right idea, because no-one's forcing you to buy it or anything. But if they have it, won't it make people without stuff from the mall look "noobish"?

Myriad , I get what you mean , from one side we wish we could have those stuff from the mall and it looks unfair that we are limited and couldn't get them , but from the other hand understand that they need to do it...

P.S. I agree with you, MoonKnight.

:D

I agree with Princess Ruto.

You can't blame the Neopets Staff from wanting to make a little money.

I mean, running a site that so many people go to (sorta like TDN) needs to make money in order to keep the site going.

I agree that needing to pay real money to get stuff in Neopets is annoying, but it IS optional.

Players without Mall stuff wouldn't look "noobish" though, because many people who play Neopets are under 18, which means they don't have credit cards to buy Internet stuff with.

Wow, that was a long thing to type. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... wink2.gif

I totally agree... That's why I actually went to Spazzmic_Doom's site and joined the rebellion. It seems so pointless, but just maybe...!

I kinda remember this site that allowed you to make an online petition.. I might be able to set up a petition against the NC mall and for the Rebellion.. PM me if you know about the site.. or any better ones. I don't know the name of the site.. so if you know it please help me out here! Thanks! (:

Seriously, Neopets it's still FREE. TNT said the use of the website will always be free. They need money to keep it going without having to make us pay for the use of the site. I think it's fair because:

1)Buying those items are just an option.

2)You cannot sell them for neopoints (which would've made the whole thing unfair).

3) This is just the beginning. You never know if TNT won't come up with alternatives.

I think people are being selfish. The artists are not there to work for free, would YOU work for free? Remember even though Neopets is reaching the top, it isn't at the top, yet. They still need to promote, and need funds to pay the staff members. You would have to go in a studio to actually learn the value of the work. Most of the stuff on Neopets is still FREE so if you all keep complaining, TNT might as well make us pay for even using the site.

You don't know how many funds they make, and by the look of their offices, they don't get as much as I would hope them to get. They're still growing and have to make sure they pay their staff members fairly, or they would go somewhere else.

Imagine yourself working for a company and doing the stuff you love the most. Imagine the company is still growing and you all need funds to keep it growing and for your salaries and to keep your job (if the company dies, you die and imagine your job is very competitive). Would you work for free? Remember you have bills to pay, maybe a family to maintain, your health needs and stuff you want to buy for yourself or your family.

Neopets is not a hobby. It is a real job. Those people don't spend hours working just because they feel like it. That's their job and that's what pays the bills. Be grateful we have the option to even play Neopets for free. Games, items, most of the stuff are still FREE.

At first, I was totally agaisnt it because I did nto know there were free wearable items as well, now that I do know they have those then I am ok with neopets having a nc mall. Also if the keep every once in a while adding at leas tone free wearable item, then im happy. Some of you must understand that, even if neopets is a free to play site, it has to make money somehow. Imagine if any of their workers would keep working for them without receiving a REASONABLE pay check? They wouldnt, now what do you preffer, a neopets with a little pay to get clothes that DONT affect the game play *and if they add an item for one game that you need to get from nc mall, thats fine as long as they dont repeat that mistake (heres a clue, maybe someone should question them on that on the neopian times?)*, or you can have neopets permenantly close and you lose all your pets and hard earned avies/paintbrushes/nps/awards. If you ask me I choose the first option, let them have an nc mall, just dont let them make it so that the only way to get something good in the game is through it, and if they add one or 2 things for ONE GAME is fine by me, but any other games then its going too far.

And you all know you make most of your neopoints of the sponsor games, don't deny it. :wink:

To Be Honest, why are people so upset by one area that you have to pay for.

They are still releasing items to buy with np. and will do in the future.

Like people said before, the whole site is still Free.

Yeah if they made the games and all shops/boards etc pay to use. then i would understand the rebellion but this is ridiculous.

Just think of neopets as an Online game (technically it is) Something like World of warcraft or games like them. You must pay to play them do you not. What makes that different from neopets. Both are online, Both doesn't affect the real world. Yet they have 1 million and more people playing it. Are they wrong.

Also don't forget how many compartments, The merchandise, The sponsorship finders. the mods, the artists, The management and loads more. every person in that person has an family, and that family depend on the worker to supply for the family.

So with this, It is helping the workers supply for their family.

But for your aspect, imagine your father comes home, and says to you, The company had to cut my pay check, you will have to give up your computer to pay for this. and cut your allowance, so we can support the family. You would hate that.

So for the rebellion, rather than think about the site you use (which is still good) Think behind the website at the people that work 9-12 hours a day to keep it running, make new items, new plots. and think what they are working for. Only 10% of their interest and about the users. they care more about their Salary and whether that will help support their family.

I don't know if any of you have seen this in stores, but just be thankful that it's not the way TNT is going. There's these stuffed animals called "Webkinz" that you MUST buy to get an account that's basically the same thing as Neo. I saw another stuffed animal for the same type of thing, different name and site.

So the idea of Neopets has reached other's ears and they CHARGE FOR THWE WHOLE EXPERIENCE. Just thank TNT for not doing the same thing. You could be paying $14.99 to open an account, or you can deal with some people buying clothes for their pets that you don't have to participate in.

I seriously don't know what the big deal is. They didn't TAKE IT AWAY, they just added an ADDON!! Maybe it's because there are a lot of younger players that think it's unfair. Believe me, when you grow up you'll wonder what the big deal was. Every game out there has addons, live with it.

Oh, and P.S. Even if you start a petition, TNT isn't going to listen. As long as people are paying for it, they'll keep the service going. Unless your petition has about 75% of the people on Neo, you have no hope of getting what you want. That's life! Sometimes you can't have everything you want and people who think they can are just delusional or spoiled.

My 2cents because this is getting really annoying.

you don't bother it effecting that game (shenkuu river rish) BUT I DO , that goes against what they promised! and it's not only that you have to pay that's the problem alot of people (including me) live in the "wrong country" not to mention not having credit-card acsses . I'd have much less problem if they wouldn't take back their promise...

you don't bother it effecting that game (shenkuu river rish) BUT I DO , that goes against what they promised! and it's not only that you have to pay that's the problem alot of people (including me) live in the "wrong country" not to mention not having credit-card acsses . I'd have much less problem if they wouldn't take back their promise...

Firstly, they didn't "promise" anything. They just /said/ that it wouldn't be done and they have /always/ said that we can't bank on everything they say, things change. Yes, it sucks that not even a month into the NC mall they break their word, but what I don't understand is that the description says it's not wearable, and yet it's in the Mall? I think they might have just made a mistake with it.

We have already addressed the fact that it's only avaliable to Canada and the US, they will eventually get to other countries, don't worry, you'll have your turn too. They can't just open it up to the whole world right away, there are issues they have to work out legally to be trading/selling worldwide.

As for not having access to a credit card, well, that sucks, but they weren't trying to leave out the younger crowd, I'm sure. Did you expect them to accept cash? Especially worldwide purchases? It's the way everything is done now, credit everything, plastic for every purchase. It's the internet, not many people on the internet accept money orders now let alone cash or personal cheques. Credit cards and Paypal are the simplest and most secure way to ensure they get their money from you and you're not ripped off in the process.

Moonknight, Are you 100% certain that it affects Shenkuu River Rush. Just because it has the same name that doesn't mean nothing. and thats for your Pet DECORATION. and if im certain, your pet isn't in SRR, so how would that matter (especially when you can pick it up while playing anyway)

Also about the Credit cards 2 points to make

-Don't forget it was originally designed for college students. And its fair that they have something for adults, the whole site has been transformed into a kiddy site.

2- They can't really neomail you. That item you purchased will be 99p/$0.99. And you neomail back saying, I shall send the my money through the post, unless it gets lost you may receive it within the next 2 weeks. They will sit at their computer and Laugh at that neomail.

So basically your saying, you angry at TNT because you can't use that 1 tiny area, and even if you would, would you really waste your money on it.

Moonknight, Are you 100% certain that it affects Shenkuu River Rush. Just because it has the same name that doesn't mean nothing. and thats for your Pet DECORATION. and if im certain, your pet isn't in SRR, so how would that matter (especially when you can pick it up while playing anyway)

No the item is actually for the game. Check out one of the instruction pages in the game. It's got a lot of wearable items that increase skills.