NC Mall launches June 28

Samuel

Neopets' NC Mall, which recently started beta testing, is to start operating June 28th, Red Herring

reports. The NC Mall allows users to purchase - with real money - extra items for their Neopet.

The Mall will be limited to the US and Canada, and unleashes a second Neopets currency, Neocash, exclusively for the venture. Neopoints will not be exhangable for Neocash; it's strictly real-money only if you want something that looks a little like the below:

Neopets_article_b.JPG

courtesy of Red Herring

The venture is being co-ordinated with Asian partner Nexon. We first learnt about the NC Mall on June 8th - click here for the original report and screenshots.

Unrelated, but worth a mention, the Neopets Mini-Stories start broadcasting between adverts on Nickelodean from today.

I read on SunnyNeo that you CANNOT sell item bought with NeoCash. And, NeoCash and all items bought with it expire after a full year. o_O

well one year is still longer then Maple Story(another Nexon game) 3 months. I am looking forward to see what kind of item they offer but I don't think i will be buying any... still it could be fun to try them on and take screen cap ^^

Well, I might try it, depending on prices. I won't buy much though, one or two things maybe, and they better be cheap!

I just don't like that it's a temporary purchase. If I'm going to buy something I want it for the entire time I'm on Neopets. Maybe remove items from accounts that are inactive for 6 months or something, but I want the opportunity to keep what I'm paying actual money for, like in real life.

I have a feeling this is the reason neopets is so slow today... this is definitely a major addition to the site.

It's kind of sad, though... cool pets were the result of hard work on the site, and now people can just pay money for things instantly. There are much better things to spend money on than pixels. I don't think this addition will be that popular... and will probably cause a lot of controversy!