Name Change

Chipmonker

The Cruel Fate For A Boy Named Osama (link)

Parents Suing NYC Schools Claiming Teen Faced Constant Harassment From Teachers Leading To Suicide Attempt

The parents of a New York teen named Osama have sued the school system claiming their son was constantly harassed by teachers while school officials did nothing.

Osama al-Najjar, a Jordanian-born Muslim, eventually plunged into a deep depression and tried to commit suicide over the incessant references to the infamous al Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden, CBS station WCBS-TV correspondent Andrew Kirtzman reported. ... [story continues on website]

Discussion Ideas

1. Would you change your name if a person of the same name commited a crime against your country or another?Examples - Hitler, Mussolini , Saddam, Ho Chi Minh

2. What is your take on the story? (Should the boy win his case)

3. Other comments?

1. It all depends my name is unique and I like it.

2. If what is said true then aboslutely and then they need to get new staff if they harassed him.

3. Poor Guy I would sue all the teachers that harassed me.

If the boy is telling the truth about being harrassed by teachers, then the teachers need to at least be kicked out of the district and lose their teaching liscense.

Ellie you are absoulutely right. Except The parents shouldn't be punished how were they suppose to know osama was gonna turn in to a pshyco.

Fun Fact: Adolf was a popular name for boys. But when hitler took over people almost never used it.and people who had it changed it.

If the name was rather iconic, like Osama or Adolf, then if it became a problem/embarrassment, then I would. But if it was just a common, everyday name (Like Matt :)) then I wouldn't bother.

Blimey. Yes, I think so. It's the schools policy to stamp out bullying, no doubt. So they shouldn't get away with it just because it's a foriegn name with a controversial meaning. I mean, come on!

Name changing is a personal thing, really. I really hated my surname as a child (Think England football team - Number 9) and wanted to change it, but now there isn't as many people making childish remarks about it. Say, it's become a sort of conversation starter, with it being the same as a rather tall England player. :)

Wow, that is a little harsh. I didn't expect you all to want to expel the teacher(s) o_O

I personally think this is ridiculous. It should have stopped a long time ago and not lasted 2 years.

First off, if a 14 year old boy (now 16) doesn't have enough common sense to (a) prevent it -- "Hey soandso, those jokes make me feel uncomfortable" -- or (b ) say something about it, he should have his head looked at.

Second, if this had been handled well, the teacher(s) would not be in any trouble and not have to face the court. Of course now, the teacher needs to punished.

1. I would never change my name. Maybe if it was Hitler I would because I've got some Jewish friends. :P And I have too much pride, I would beat the crap out of a teacher before I got depressed.

2. The boy should definitely win his case, kids go to school to feel safe and progress in their life. If the teachers aren't doing their paid jobs and instead harassing a young boy, they should be punished to the full extent of the law.

3. No comment.

2. I agree Mikey school is a place to feel safe. Shoot I wonder beat the crap out of the teacher I would walk out of class when ever the teacher tried to talk to me.

3. Ellie of course we think the teachers should get expelled they did way wrong.

If a teacher harrassed me, I would tell the principal and get her fired.

Nope I wouldnt even want to go to that school any more. I'd walk out.

If I went somewhere where I was suppose to be safe and my protectors hurt me I'd be like I dont want to go here any more.

There's teachers at my school who just pick on people for comedic effect (But they all seem to teach science. Hmm...)

Well, yeah. The kids know it's just a joke and so does the teacher. Thing is, some people don't get the joke and complain. Like my friend. Got the guy suspended and didn't return. Just goes to show...

Yeah 2 years Im sorry but I would not put up with that crap for more than a month.

That kid was a sensitive, weak person. Only weak people that are insecure try and kill themselves. The teachers might have been kidding.

2 years of "kidding " is way to long. I disagree with you saying his was weak and insecure. Its human nature to be weak and insecure.

Hence the reason its called Debate. If every one agreed then itd be Bate. XD

That kid was a sensitive, weak person. Only weak people that are insecure try and kill themselves. The teachers might have been kidding.

Honestly, that's a little harsh. Being a Muslim, I'm sure he goes through the whole "You're a suicide bomber!" criticism. With his name as Osama, and 2 years of harassment since he was 14, I'd be amazed if he wasn't depressed.

You try to go through 2 years of constant harassment. Learn to be a little more sympathetic.

Sad Fact: People just dont realize how hurtful name calling really is. IT can stick with you for the rest of your life.