Universal Studios to open Harry Potter theme park!

Samuel

Universal Studios and Warner Brothers made a joint announcement this evening from Leavesden Studios on the set of Dumbledore's Office to reveal that a Harry Potter theme park is currently in development. The image to the left is the first piece of concept art for the park: Hogsmeade Village.

Here's what we learned from Potter set designer Stuart Craig and a representative from Universal Studios (both of them hosted the big reveal):

- "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort"

- Announcement was made live via internet at 12:01 AM EST today to select media, including MuggleNet.

- Areas of park to include Hogsmeade, Hogwarts Castle, and the Forbidden Forest.

- 20 engineers working on project.

- Universal came to WB looking for authenticity.

- Potter park to be built in "Islands of Adventure" area of Universal.

- Stuart wants to "take his grandchildren" to the park.

- Opening early 2010.

- Universal's Potter website to be available at this link soon.

- JK Rowling has been involved "since the very beginning" of the project. Also "supportive and encouraging."

- Stuart thinks that the park will be better off in the United States.

- Have been in design "for at least a year and a half."

- "Important that the theme park represents the entire saga from Book 1 to Book 7"

In a rather cute way to end the announcement, the Universal representative asks Stuart Craig, "Now where's Dumbledore?" Stuart paused for a moment, looked around the office, and replied, "He was just here."

The fansites will be receiving a special piece of concept art not seen anywhere else, so stay tuned for that! We'll be discussing these developments on this week's episode of MuggleCast (due out over the weekend).

Source: http://mugglenet.com

The concept art: Hogwarts Castle | Hogsmeade | The Park | Logo

Full story, press release: [x]

-----

:O Wow. That looks pretty darn awesome :P Would anyone go visit it?

Anyone who knows me also knows that I think Harry Potter is a load of tosh.

This just adds to it.

I mean, I struggle to see the point of Disney World. What's the point of making a theme park bit for a book? :|

Useless. I think that stuff like this just ruins you imagination of the place inside your head. Like when you read the book, you think of what the place looks like, then they come out with this kind of stuff and you just think its wrong. Movies are the same way, but they're a bit more entertaining.

It really will be, I'm sure. Very much fake, and very much tacky.

But it's such a big market; there's loads of Harry Potter fans. Whatever happens, they'll make a bombshell just because of the experiance people will get.

And there's a load of fans, real dedicated fans - there's often seminars, for instance - so for the die-hard fan, it's not that bad at all :P I wouldn't go myself, because of the location, but it's certainly interesting. I'd go, if it was UK based, just for the experiance of it.

JKR must be kicking herself. She's made millions of millions, had films on her creations, had major diehard fans, and now a themepark. Pretty good life :P

I love the HP books and we better be thankful that they are coming up with a theme park version of the books. Sure, we all have an idea of what the castle looks like in our minds, but the movies already set a version in them. Feel free to mail them your own sketches and ideas if you don't like it.

I've always wanted to live the books I read, so I think the upcoming theme park is the closest I can get to my imagination.

I saw that news on an other site just tonight (that has nothing to do with neopets or harry potter) and I was thinking... oh, this new park could bring me back to Florida. I already visited MGM studies twice, Magic Kingdom, Island of adventure, Universal studios... And it was a blast all time :P

But like it was already said, the park will just be a market and it purpose will be to make money. Also, I doubt that they can really recreate the Harry Potter universe...

But still, if somebody was praying me to go in Florida, I would say : "Alright, but we must stop by the Harry Potter park because I didn't visit it XD"

They do? Where o_O, I've never seen them.

I bought some in a candy store near my University, lol. It tastes awfull!

You don't think a Neopets theme park would be a little kiddie... i dont see how they could make it adult.

Well, usually when you go in any theme park, it's always a bit kiddie... so you have to find the kid in your heart and enjoy it :P.

I bought some in a candy store near my University, lol. It tastes awfull!

Well, usually when you go in any theme park, it's always a bit kiddie... so you have to find the kid in your heart and enjoy it :P .

Well at Disney, most rides are not so kiddie (i.e. rollercoasters). So by having a Neopets and Harry Potter theme parks, I think it would help more.