The Art of Penmanship

Chipmonker

Neat handwriting. :)

Well, the last time we really had handwriting taught to us in the UK (I believe, prove me wrong) was back when I was... 6, I think.

At the age I am now, I see many people with many unique forms of handwriting. While some may be illegible, I think teaching it should be dropped for individuality reasons.

Basically, write how you like. Who's going to stop you? You're practicing your handwriting in other subjects anyway; why not just do exactly that?

Well, the last time I had to

write in cursive was...in 5th/6th grade...I think. For me,

I kinda believe that they should be taught the letters, but then again I don't.

It's true, I don't see people writing as much, but it's still good to know cursive.

Though, I do believe that it was very boring to learn cursive; it gave me hand cramps too!

I don't think cursive should be completely dropped but the time spent on it could be lessened.

I think that cursive is different for everyone. I know I learned from about 3 different teachers from grade 2 to 5, but I learned fine by grade 2. For some kids its more difficult and they just dont care and for others if comes easily and they want to use it. By the time you grow up though, you will probably write your own way anyway, it sort of evolves. I think that I write in a mix of printing and cursive.

My writing's really cursive, but I do print when I can't be bothered.

Some people don't have the internet, so obviously they can't e-mail. In school we have to do heaps of writing, but we can type it up. We should still learn how to write cursive, but like TBC said, your styles will change as you grow up.

Well, people have different styles, but those styles come from learning cursive. I had to learn cursive before developing my own handwriting, which is a mixture of printing and cursive with my e's, i's, and t's indistinguishable.

Guest Levy

My handwriting looks like chicken scratches. I forgot my cursive stuff. I signed my drivers license in unreadable print. lol

The computer is the new thing, drop penmanship and introduce more typing classes to reduce typos in today's world.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm on the side of dropping cursive, it would free up time that kids could be using for math time. Of course, I believe that penmanship should still be taught ... i.e. the 'd' looks like this - not that chickenscratch.

It makes it easier for you and everyone else to read your handwriting. There isn't a computer handy at all times!