Firefox Addon...

Hey everyone, I just downloaded an addon for firefox that allows me to select webpages and then it checks it every 15 seconds for changes. I was wondering if you think TNT will freeze me if I do this on the new features page, so I know when the news comes out.

Since all it basicly does is refresh the page, they could be thinking that I am refreshing for RE's so I logged out, thinking that, they can't punish me if I'm logged out, but I'm wondering if you all think that I am still taking a risk, seeing as they know my IP and everything? :P

Post away...

I read in the NT that if it's for a humanly possible time (i.e 30 sec) , they wont freeze

If it s like .000000000000000000000000000000000009 sec refreash, then you will be frozen

I have it set at 15 seconds, but I will change it quickly and then go and look for that editorial issue. I would like to look for proof, just in case. ;) Thanks for your opinion, this is still open for discussion, so don't be afraid to answer all you other people.

Just like many things in Neopets and life, there is a line. Let's clarify.

- Hitting refresh repeatedly for a few minutes, allowing the page to load. €š‚“ Great

- Holding down F5 for 10-30 seconds at a time, checking for the avatar/challenger, then trying again if it has not been achieved €š‚“ Still good.

- Holding down the F5 key for 20 minutes €š‚“ Okay, but try to take a break for your mental sake and ours.

- Leaving your "cat" on the F5 key while you make a sandwich. €š‚“ Not good.

- Leaving your "cat" on the F5 key all night while you sleep €š‚“ Bad.

- Using a program that refreshes for you at the same rate as a human €š‚“ Frozen!

- Using Opera to open 100+ pages and hitting "refresh all" €š‚“ VERY frozen.

Basically, anything that plays the site for you, and requires no effort on your part, is considered a "bot" and will get you frozen. Even your "cat." This includes auto refresher functions in browsers, or putting a weight on F5 to do things the old fashioned way. If you don't do any of that, you don't have to worry.

^ From the neopian times.

So yea, I'm still wondering if it's okay to be logged out and do it?

I submitted the following to the times, hopefully I can get an answer out of them about the 'if you are logged out' thing:

I just downloaded an add-on for my fire fox browser, it refreshes pages at certain intervals, set by me. I was thinking I could use it to see when the news is released and such, but it refreshes the page, and I won't want to get frozen for using a refresher. Anyway, I was wondering if it was okay to use this add-on if I was logged out of neopets, that way I didn't get any random events and such. I do not intend on using it at all until I get a response from you, just incase. I wouldn€™t want to risk anything now would I! Anyway, nice plot ;) Thanks for answering TNT!

Be careful when you submit questions like that, though. You kinda grab their attention even more and they could keep an eye on you all the time. In my opinion, I don't think refreshing on the news features page can get you frozen because you don't get random events there now that the new layout came out, right?

Good point with the submitting of those kind of questions. ;)

As far as the Random Events, as far as I understand you can get RE's on any page as any time....

I believe there are certain pages you can't get random events on (Such as when you zap your pet from the lab ray, front page and other non-standard pages).

While everything above is true, I always thought that they could track the time you refreshed and if it exibited "bot behavoir" (Such as refreshing every 15 seconds precisely) then they'd freeze you.

I think it was a good idea to submit it to the editorial... so I'll look forward the next edition and see if they answer it :) I really hope they do :D (and that they say you can use it when you are loggout! That would be truly awesome)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, honestly, thats extremely risky. I think that it is against the rules, because you are not physically pressing the button, and that is always what they refer back to.

However, if its logged out, even if they don't like it, I don't think that they can do anything, since they don't know your account and IP addresses can change.