PLEASE READ

Psmucker3

Hi guys. I just want to write this post because for the first time in a long time I am beginning to feel at peace. Guys, if you are feeling in a rut with life and it seems as if you will NEVER get out of it, please just listen to this:

Life is all about ups and downs (this took me so long to even begin to come to terms with) and life will never be perfect. But you can learn to change your mindset and cultivate a peaceful mind by taking time for yourself... slowing down and seriously pushing yourself to go on walks, meditate, at least once a day.

I promise sometimes the best medicine in life is talking with a dear friend, reflecting upon what you are thankful for, walking in the park, eating healthy, and taking care of yourself. This do not mean giving up on your goals and losing your drive for success.

Personally, I went through a battle with depression last semester in school and hit a complete wall and burned out. Now, I am really analyzing how to improve the situation and by recharging my mind, I am able to see the bigger picture in life.

It is a long process to improving mental health, but I promise no one is perfect and I still stumble many times along the way. But learning to embrace the crappier parts of life can really help you through. Stop getting worked up about the little things! Spilled coffee on your new white pants? It is OK. Yes, it may suck in the moment, but surely you will forget about this within a week's time. Going through a heartbreak? This will take a lot of healing time, but you must accept this. It is ok to wallow for a bit in your sorrows, but please get outside and begin to do something about it. Even if you take ONE step towards this mentality, practicing whenever you can will slowly lead to big results! Spilled that coffee on your white pants and still beating yourself up about? Say to yourself...It will be ok. Even if you do not believe this in the moment, eventually your thoughts will change and you WILL believe.

Similarly, for the longest time I would spend money (excessively) on pointless things, and was completely caught up in consumerism. It is hard not to be, especially as a fashion design student. I would mentally beat myself up for hours after making an unnecessary purchase. Now, I am implementing slow but steady changes. For example, buying groceries and making meals at home, making a budget. And I realize now that you can seriously live off a very minimal amount of clothing. Even if you love fashion, you can own a few, chic, nicely made pieces and mix and match according to your personal style. You will feel like your sense of fashion is even BETTER because you won't find yourself overwhelmed with outfit choices. Although it is important to try to stick within a budget, don't beat yourself up for sometimes breaking it. Life is about learning. You can't get back the money, but you CAN improve.

For me, these are really big steps. And often times I overlook the great leaps I have already taken. Every once in awhile, look back, reflect, and praise yourself because you are slowly but surely improving! My next goal is to work towards lessening time consumed by social media and celebrity culture. Now, I am going to library and trying to fill any extra time I have by reading rather than scrolling through social media. Yes, I blunder many times a week (even day) but any start is better than never even trying.

:)

P.s...I'm also going to be doing a sale of my old clothing soon if anybody will like to order some things, I can ship them off :) Help with recycling clothing rather than partaking in fast fashion!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Songbirdsara) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I am so glad you are doing better :)

I was severely depressed after my Father passed away in 2014. I understand depression, and don't ever want to feel that way again.

Talking with a physiologist, some medicine, and healing really worked for me.

Like you said, if your spill coffee on your white pants, it is not the end of the world.

Every day I try to improve...not to be so stressed out at work, trying not to let the little things in life make me crazy.

We are only here for a short time. I want to be happy. Playing Neopets and talking on the TDN Forums make me happy :laughingsmiley:

<3

I'm so glad you're doing better.  Without getting too much into the details here, I will simply say I am in a very bad spot right now, and recently "lost" (she's not dead or anything) my best friend of the last couple years in really shocking, sudden fashion because, according to her, I am "too depressed".  That, combined with a lot of other stresses in my life with very little bright side has me rather down and out at the moment.  However, I do try to remind myself of the kinds of things you post as often as possible, and reading it and knowing things got better for you has helped to brighten my Friday quite a bit, so thank you.  :)

Keep it up!

--BT

That's awesome and I applaud your strength to write this post and work toward your goals to help yourself move forward in life.  I have been in your shoes and your outlook on life is positive and affirming.

Good luck as you move through your life.  I believe you will do well.  :yes:

I'm happy for you that you're feeling better. I am the unfortunate product of a (true) sociopath father and paranoid schizophrenic mother so, naturally, I inherited some serious problems, namely being severely clinically depressed for most of my life. I will never be able to live without medication (I've tried - wasn't pretty) so I'm always glad to hear when someone is able to pick themselves up with or without it. If you ever want someone to talk to, and this goes for everyone, I'm here. Believe me, I understand. I've lost a lot because of my illness so I like to be a support to whomever I can. 

It's always great to hear when someone can overcome their depression. I myself have been in that boat so I understand. I had anxiety as well as depression and things like making a budget and not stressing over every little thing start to make a difference. The key is to keep working towards the goals you set yourself. Also learning to ask for help when you need it is good (it took me a good 20+ years to learn that). I hope life continues to treat you kindly  :yes: