Nay for my wrist being sprained DX

frozenpancakes

It's sooo sore! It's been hurting for like a week but I'm just now getting a brace and heating pad, ugh. Not fun at all.

Hi! I am so sorry your wrist is hurting. Some people don't realize that sprains can be worse than breaks. A sprain is graded on a scale of 1 to 3 and can be minor stretching of the ligament, all the way to complete severing of the ligament from the muscle or bone. You will feel mild to severe pain, looseness of the joint, and/or swelling.

Now, I don't want to overstep my bounds here as I don't know if you have seen a doctor, but heat will make the swelling worse. (unless that is what your doctor told you to do-then by all means, continue with your prescribed treatment). It may feel good at the moment, but is not good in the long run. The best treatment for a sprain is RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Also, taking anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) for the pain and swelling every 4-6hrs for a few days.

**Angelo, do you agree with this assessment? I am a nurse, not a doctor, however I did work on Med/Surg Ortho/Neuro floor for 1 year.

Hi! I am so sorry your wrist is hurting. Some people don't realize that sprains can be worse than breaks. A sprain is graded on a scale of 1 to 3 and can be minor stretching of the ligament, all the way to complete severing of the ligament from the muscle or bone. You will feel mild to severe pain, looseness of the joint, and/or swelling.

Now, I don't want to overstep my bounds here as I don't know if you have seen a doctor, but heat will make the swelling worse. (unless that is what your doctor told you to do-then by all means, continue with your prescribed treatment). It may feel good at the moment, but is not good in the long run. The best treatment for a sprain is RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Also, taking anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) for the pain and swelling every 4-6hrs for a few days.

**Angelo, do you agree with this assessment? I am a nurse, not a doctor, however I did work on Med/Surg Ortho/Neuro floor for 1 year.

I have not been to a doctor, as my parents will not take me.

I don't have any swelling... And my wrist feels very stiff, not loose at all. Maybe it's not a sprain?

I have not been to a doctor, as my parents will not take me.

I don't have any swelling... And my wrist feels very stiff, not loose at all. Maybe it's not a sprain?

Can I ask you how it happened? Did you fall? If there is no swelling, no bruising, and no looseness, then it probably is not a sprain. You may have jammed it and in that case, heat may help it a lot. I might forego the brace and rest it on a pillow, unless you need to use it. When you jam it, and it is tight, you need to have your muscles relax and let it go so your joint can move freely. If the symptoms do not improve within 2-3 days, you really need to see a doctor. Tell your parents this is a professional opinion. The x-rays may be negative, but that is a good thing. It is better to have that peace of mind and then you can continue on with home remedies.

Can I ask you how it happened? Did you fall? If there is no swelling, no bruising, and no looseness, then it probably is not a sprain. You may have jammed it and in that case, heat may help it a lot. I might forego the brace and rest it on a pillow, unless you need to use it. When you jam it, and it is tight, you need to have your muscles relax and let it go so your joint can move freely. If the symptoms do not improve within 2-3 days, you really need to see a doctor. Tell your parents this is a professional opinion. The x-rays may be negative, but that is a good thing. It is better to have that peace of mind and then you can continue on with home remedies.

I just woke up one day about a week and a half ago and it was like this, although it has gotten worse.

I'll talk to them again and see if I can get them to take me.

It's mostly in my wrist, on the side I can see with my palm down. Sometimes if I move it the pain will extend up to my first and second knuckles.

I just woke up one day about a week and a half ago and it was like this, although it has gotten worse.

I'll talk to them again and see if I can get them to take me.

It's mostly in my wrist, on the side I can see with my palm down. Sometimes if I move it the pain will extend up to my first and second knuckles.

Ahh, ok. Genius my dear watson. I bet I know EXACTLY what it is. Are you ready? I don't think you are ready. I think you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The treatment? No Neopets for 1 week. LOL. Seriously? Yes seriously. Am I joking, kind of, sort of, not really. Carpal Tunnel causes the symptoms you are describing and I feel you have it because, 1. you just woke up with it one day, no injury. 2. It extends from your wrist over the top of your hand to your first and second knuckles. It is compression of the median nerve by the carpal ligament. A brace that prevents flexion (Your fingers pointing up toward the sky), Ice, and rest is the treatment. The cause could be many things but most likely repetative motion (typing at the keyboard) with improper alignment and technique. It will get worse unless you improve your position at the keyboard and ice and elevate your wrist when not using it.

Ahh, ok. Genius my dear watson. I bet I know EXACTLY what it is. Are you ready? I don't think you are ready. I think you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The treatment? No Neopets for 1 week. LOL. Seriously? Yes seriously. Am I joking, kind of, sort of, not really. Carpal Tunnel causes the symptoms you are describing and I feel you have it because, 1. you just woke up with it one day, no injury. 2. It extends from your wrist over the top of your hand to your first and second knuckles. It is compression of the median nerve by the carpal ligament. A brace that prevents flexion (Your fingers pointing up toward the sky), Ice, and rest is the treatment. The cause could be many things but most likely repetative motion (typing at the keyboard) with improper alignment and technique. It will get worse unless you improve your position at the keyboard and ice and elevate your wrist when not using it.

Ah, that's great, considering I attend an online high school. Haha.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if it gets better!

EDIT: I got a brace that was marked for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as well as general wrist pain and after a few days of wearing it the pain is almost completely gone! Thank you!

EDIT: It doesn't hurt when I bend it anymore, but I can't put any pressure on it still. Should it be better by now?