Negative Neopoints...

carlyle

Wow. I think I stepped on a little landmine here. Neopets was lagging for me a little while I was trying to donate to the wishing well today. I was getting low on Neopoints in hand, but the game didn't stop me from donating those couple of wishes I couldn't afford. So now I had NEGATIVE neopoints for a little while.

WFSM855.png

Well I am quite relieved. At least the game didn't loop all the way back to the MAXIMUM number of neopoints instead of going negative. I would have been quite rich, yes, but only temporarily... :mellow: I posted this here to just share this little tidbit with everyone, but Neopets will still check if you can't afford to do something, so don't even think about trying to abuse this. I've sent a bug report to Neopets and withdrew a few neopoints. Luckily, my neopoint count is back to normal and I hope I can get back to playing without a hitch. Good luck!

Negative NP is a thing that happens sometimes. It's very difficult to make it happen on purpose- usually it comes up in situations like this, where lag is interfering with the code that prevents you from doing something based on lack of NP, or when an RE hits and takes more than you have on hand.

As it's a standard safeguard, you should be fine. After all, you technically spent the NP. When you withdrew enough to cover it, 42 of them were "removed" as if they'd been taken by the Well in the first place. Unless you were actively trying to abuse the lag to make it happen (which you obviously weren't) you have nothing to worry about!

This happened to me during the charity corner. It's difficult to abuse, and more often than not is a complete accident.

It sucks cause then you have to make that money back that you never intended to spend in the first place. D:

I've had that happen. Usually it happened to me as a result of a random event that would take NP away. If I didn't have enough on hand to cover the amount taken, I would have -xx on hand. For sake of example, let's say that number was -13NP

Meaning if I were to take 13np outta my bank I'd have 0NP on hand.

Has happened to me a few times as well. Mostly by means of REs that take a flat-sum rather than a percentage, though through lag a few times as well.

Had a different NP-issue myself just a couple of minutes ago. Withdrew Neopoints from mu shop till, but it kept looping back to the amount I had on hand previous to that removal for a few minutes. First load of a page gave old NP, then a reload showed the right amount. Moment that I put some NP in bank, it stopped, but still really weird.

So did I, so it isn't just you. I knew I had more than 2k np on hand and tried to deposit and it gave me a big fat no you don't have that much on you. :| And it's taking multiple refreshes now what the heck.

Yeah, it keeps constantly lagging behind, though anything dealing with granting/removal of Neopoints tends to reset it to the correct number for a bit (either immediately or in a refresh or two). Otherwise, it now takes several refreshes if it shows correctly at all. Really annoying since this is the part of the day where I predominantly deal with things like "making my daily target for NP added to bank"; "remove NP from till from overnight sales"; "reprice items where needed" and "play games to add to cash on hand for restocking". Oh, and "get part of the 10 Igloo Garage Sale buys done now so I can just focus on a single shop when I get around to actual restocking".

I haven't had any trouble with nps yet but i did just change my active pet so they could all have a chance at catching something and i would seriously reconsider changing them because it just took me about 10 minutes of refreshing etc to get my normal active pet back to being active. It just kept changing pet every time i refreshed

I haven't had any trouble with nps yet but i did just change my active pet so they could all have a chance at catching something and i would seriously reconsider changing them because it just took me about 10 minutes of refreshing etc to get my normal active pet back to being active. It just kept changing pet every time i refreshed

Same here, with the active pet thing - I switched while doing my dailies, and now it seems to be cycling randomly between all three of my pets. It's quite annoying.

Has happened to me a few times as well. Mostly by means of REs that take a flat-sum rather than a percentage, though through lag a few times as well.

Had a different NP-issue myself just a couple of minutes ago. Withdrew Neopoints from mu shop till, but it kept looping back to the amount I had on hand previous to that removal for a few minutes. First load of a page gave old NP, then a reload showed the right amount. Moment that I put some NP in bank, it stopped, but still really weird.

Wish I could say the same, but whenever I go under a flat rate, it's due to the Apple Bobbing (multiple times have I gone to -300 there, since I don't like losing change into it...but it still takes money randomly, even if I win something).

Wish I could say the same, but whenever I go under a flat rate, it's due to the Apple Bobbing (multiple times have I gone to -300 there, since I don't like losing change into it...but it still takes money randomly, even if I win something).

Ah, yes, I mentally count Dailies that can take NP in the same category as "REs" because of the similar randomness between them.

I donated to the wishing well to get an avatar and even though I had enough, It says I was -34,500 some neopoints!! Is there anyway to get those back? Because that is QUITE a loss and I was really hoping to save up for a paintbrush :(

Unfortunately no. You'll have to make them back, sadly. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't let you go thru with something if you don't have enough. They do it with depositing, why not things like the wishing well even with lag?