It's finally here!

Ian

Hello folks,

YES, we've finally attempted to modernize TDN a bit with a totally new search engine! You've all been asking for it and we've delivered. Just go to the front page and enter a search term and -- viola! Although results may not be superduperlyduper relevant like Google (the only difference is we don't have 10 billion dollars to put into search technology, heh... how could we miss that? ;o) the search engine should be able to locate the page you're searching for.

The search engine only searches through TDN's content (matches them based on page title and words in the content). For forum search, you'll have to go here. For avatar search, you'll have to go to the Avatar Section and click "Search Avatars" on the left nav.

Please feel free to give us feedback about our new search engine in this topic.

Thanks!

Ian and "The Team"

So I rearranged my desk just in time for a new search engine? xD Well, it's a lot nicer, and pretty cool!

Is it just being odd or do you have search in content before title? it came up with BC adveritsing, then TNAATP, then Kadoatery for 'Kad'.

I liked the way it's organised. In there seperate little boxes makes it so much clearer than, say, Windows Live Search.

But I did search "Avatar" and while the avatar section was 5 hits down, it put an old editoral and even "Snowball Fight" ahead of it. o_O

But yeah, like Chipmonker said, it's better than nothing! I recall an old TDN search, but that got deleted, I think. :(

Is there anyway of removing the editorials from it's 'search'. Or somehow moving them to the bottom of it's list. While some of the information is relevant it does get annoying to see 5 editorial pages come up, all at the top.

Also, could it bring up closest matches by title first. If you search 'Tombola' the actual 'Tombola' article comes up 3 down (I think) -- when it is an EXACT match to my search.

The thing that powers the 'engine' is MySQL, so we don't have any control of it's algorithm. The reason why odd articles are appearing so high for irrelevant keywords is because some of the keywords you used are for your query are in the page content.

We'll look into this, but I doubt we can change much. Thanks guys!

Guest EBIL Cybunny Easter!

It's a great feature, just what TDN needed actually! It's great for a website like ours that has tons of content.

The thing that powers the 'engine' is MySQL, so we don't have any control of it's algorithm. The reason why odd articles are appearing so high for irrelevant keywords is because some of the keywords you used are for your query are in the page content.

We'll look into this, but I doubt we can change much. Thanks guys!

Well no wonder it's so weird. IMHO

... MySQL sucks.

BTW, TJ is looking for help with MySQL. I'm terrible with it. I used it with a game database once and--trust me--I will never even look at it again.

MySQL is good for medium scale projects but absolutely hits rock bottom horrible when handling large-scale applications with lots of data being updated and selected at once (take a look at Subeta ... incredibly slow sometimes because they're handling a LOT of data with 1000 users online with MySQL).

MySQL is good for medium scale projects but absolutely hits rock bottom horrible when handling large-scale applications with lots of data being updated and selected at once (take a look at Subeta ... incredibly slow sometimes because they're handling a LOT of data with 1000 users online with MySQL).

Thanks, but I don't think that I am going to follow the MySQL road. I had one neomail from someone saying they would set it up, and then accidentially deleted it. Also since I have heard/read such bad things about it, it just sounds good to do most everything by hand. I will take a look into the Subeta though, see what I can get myself into. ;) Thanks Ian!