Why School is becoming a joke to me

neeker2

Oh boy. Where do I even start? Summer for me started on the 12th, thank goodness. I immediately started work on my English GH projects I am to do over the summer; finishing a ten paragraph essay (15+ sentences in each). I thought, hey. Get it out of the way so I won't forget about it a midst band camp and totally forget.

What kind of phone call do I receive the next day?

I am not allowed to take the advanced course due to my grade being 3% below an A grade. Three. Percent.

I was jarred. I was shocked. I was told 'the grade isn't an A. You're evidently not 'advanced' enough to take the course. I'm sorry.' I told the woman I would do the work. Normal English is too slow. The material is too easy. The reason I had slipped 3% was because of family issues and seizures. Of course, she didn't believe me. I told her I already finished a huge portion of the summer work. Her response?

Too. Bad.

I was bawling. I feel like a failure. I know I could do the course and I /want/ to challenge myself. I have yet to hear back on if I will be in the advanced History I signed up for; but I doubt it. They're denying me the education I want and know I deserve. It's ridiculous; they say they want us to be so smart in the US, yet if a child knows they can do something, and their past work proves it, they won't allow us because of a letter.

I'm glad to say I'm probably to a VoTech school after ninth grade.

Well, I mean, I understand why you're upset, but you also have to see it from their point of view. You were under the required GPA and, no matter how much under you were, you didn't meet criteria. If you can explain why you were below (I'm relying heavily on the seizures here), try to get a doctor's note.

But don't give up just because of this hiccup. Things will change. Your workload will increase and you'll see that it will get more challenging, which is a good thing!

Who is this woman? The teacher? Your guidance counselor? If it's not the guidance counselor, you need to get him/her involved; especially if they know not only your educational track record, but also that you've been having seizures and issues at home. Your counselor will probably have advice above and beyond a doctor's note and may even be able to intervene with the teacher.

It seems like my counselor had to help me out in some fashion when I wanted to take AP English. The teacher was strict, but I don't remember him being so up-in-arms about having a perfect grade to get into the class. (Of course, he was one of those teachers that was straightlaced during classroom time, but when we had quiz bowl practice, he loosened up a bit.) My counselor probably had to help me squeeze into world literature or something to help me qualify.

If the woman in question is the guidance counselor, get your parents involved. They'll help you get the doctor's note and talk to the teacher and the counselor, if need be. I don't know what my mom did for me behind my back (and always in front of it!) when I was younger, but I know she was the sort that would've gone straight to the principal for assistance if need be...I hope your parents are the same way.

Keep us posted...that's what we're here for! (Thank goodness for the internet...there are a lot of nasty people out there, and then there are places like this, where cooler heads prevail!)

They did some similar stuff to me when I was in High School. I brought my grades up to an A- in a few of my clases. I was gone for 3 days with a cold and I got taken down to a D. After that I stopped trying hard because all that work was for basically nothing.

That's one of the reasons I no longer believe in formal education. The systems are outdated, and the students have to adapt to the school, when it should be the very contrary. Some people bluff their way well into major diplomas, while others stay behind because of pathetic "reasons" such as the one your school set.

I suggest you watch this very interesting T.E.D. speech: