Spanish help! (Por favor!)

Novelista

We went through past tense before I finished (the equivalent of) my second year in Spanish and none of it stuck!

I'm trying to get something like, "X glared at Y", but it keeps coming back with "miro", which is "look", I believe. Ayuda me, por favor!

(I know there are some Spanish speakers on here...I remember them offering to help me a few months ago!) (In fact, I may eventually hire one of you to translate this manuscript for me, when the time comes. Hopefully it will become a book one day!)

"Miró" is actually the past tense of look, which is "mirar," if it's being used as a verb.

I'm a native speaker of Spanish, so I definitely can't say that I was formally trained in the language or anything, but I off the top of my head, I can't think of a word that directly translates to "glared." It might be more helpful, instead, to use an adjective of your choosing to describe the look (an angry look, annoyed look, or whatever fits in the context of this particular glare :P). "X lo/a miró _____mente" or "X lo/a miró con _____" (something like X looked at Y with anger, etc). Or you could say, "X le echó (a Y) una mirada de ______" (X gave (Y) a look of...). Of course, how you structure it or the words you use will depend entirely on the context of the piece (is it a story, is it for funsies, is it intended to be a formal business piece?).

Alternatively, if it's not too formal, you could also use the Spanish phrase/idiom, "Le echó lumbre/fuego por los ojos" which would indicate a very, very angry glare, haha.

Maybe someone who actually took classes would be much more helpful, haha! But I hope this was somewhat useful! :D

I choose "authentic" over "textbook" any day--at least when writing novels. :D

~*~

Three of the characters are discussing something, which a fourth would never allow. So the sentence in English is,

“Forget ‘allowing’ it!” Catalina glared at Raquel. “You don’t have enough brain cells to make a barony prosperous!”

So if we're talking about lighting things on fire with our eyes, that just may work. :laughingsmiley:

I think it should be "Catarina la miró con desprecio". Sounds better to me, but I'm not a native, so I might be wrong.

I absolutely agree :D At this point, it's probably clear who's speaking/being addressed, as well, so it's not necessary to add in Raquel's name. But if you really, really wanted to add it, it would read something like, "Catarina miró a Raquel con desprecio." :)

Actually, Raquel made a comment, then Sofia, then Catalina snapped back at Raquel. So I appreciate the adjustment. :)

In case you're wondering what I'm working on, it's tentatively titled Dos Infantas.

"My potato has fifty-five..." ah..."{rear body parts}"?

Oh dear. O.o :laughingsmiley:

By the by...do any of you know anyone who lives in Spain or keeps ahissi of the news there? I have a question...

(Non-language. It's about primogeniture, actually.)

And here I thought you just spoke English and Portuguese. :P :D

Hahaha, you're too lovely! :D I speak Portuguese, English and French, and my Spanish is just enough to survive, hehe. I took 3 years of Spanish at school so I rely on what I can remember (that was like 7 years ago!) and on the fact that Portuguese and Spanish are ridiculously similar :P :P

Well now I'm curious! Why do you need primogeniture info? I understand if it's still a secret because of your book, tho! :)

JennyBean helped me, but I'll tell you anyway. :)

I was curious to know if Spain followed Salic primogeniture or cognatic, since there's a major regime change scheduled for next Thursday.

To simplify (for any reader who doesn't know my fancy words), I wanted to know if Princess Leonor was on track to become Princess of Asturias when her father became king next week or if they were still favoring males--in which case, her cousin Felipe de Marchalar y Borbon would become crown prince.

(For those who don't know Spanish history, Spain was still favoring men when Juan Carlos became king in 1975, so Felipe de Borbon y Grecia became crown prince over his sister Elena, who is five years older.)

Oh and just because I can't help myself: I want to run up, kiss the new king on the cheek, squeak and run away. xD (I'm more partial to guys like Mark Consuelos and Danny Pino, but Prince Felipe is pretty cute. ;) )

JennyBean helped me, but I'll tell you anyway. :)

I was curious to know if Spain followed Salic primogeniture or cognatic, since there's a major regime change scheduled for next Thursday.

To simplify (for any reader who doesn't know my fancy words), I wanted to know if Princess Leonor was on track to become Princess of Asturias when her father became king next week or if they were still favoring males--in which case, her cousin Felipe de Marchalar y Borbon would become crown prince.

(For those who don't know Spanish history, Spain was still favoring men when Juan Carlos became king in 1975, so Felipe de Borbon y Grecia became crown prince over his sister Elena, who is five years older.)

Oh and just because I can't help myself: I want to run up, kiss the new king on the cheek, squeak and run away. xD (I'm more partial to guys like Mark Consuelos and Danny Pino, but Prince Felipe is pretty cute. ;) )

I see! Well, as a feminist, I totally prefer Absolute Primogenure - or even Semi-Salic, to that extent. Like for example, the Netherlands Royal Family. Just look at all those mighty little girls (daughters of Queen Maxima)! I'm sure their eldest will be a great queen someday :)

Aren't they all loves? ^_^

(I was going to attach a picture, but it's too big!)

Looking sunny and fine in their House of Orange best! Love it!

And Princess Leonor is so adorable, from her blonde hair down to the little gap between her teeth! Did you know she's going to become the youngest direct heir in the world?

Oh, I'm a feminist, too. It was going to annoy the...ah...twirly fruit (hee hee) out of me if her cousin was named Prince of Asturias. 1975? Yeah, okay. I don't like it, but okay. 2014? No excuse for not making Leonor crown princess!

Yeaaah, she's too cute! I have a special fondness for Royal children, it's always so interesting to watch them grow! I especially like it when the queens used to be normal, commoners. Like Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, who is Australian, or Queen Maxima herself, who is Argentinian! And of course Duchess Kate, hehe :D

It's such a fairytale, isn't it? Being a simple peasant, getting to know a prince and becoming royalty <3

Then there's the Dowager Queen of Jordan, who started off as (perhaps not-so) plain old Lisa Halaby from America. That was a rare one...skipping straight from commoner to queen!

How about Grace Kelly? She was a movie star, but she still made the leap from star to princess consort.

I love this detour. Romance. Fairytales. *happy sigh*