For The Book Readers!

laceew45

I am a big fan of reading! I keep up with how many/what books I read throughout the year on Goodreads. I read 70 books in 2013 (not finished yet!). But I was going to ask everyone on here, does anyone have any goals for 2014? I am planning on reaching 100 books. Also, any specific books on people's lists? Also, what was your favorite book that you read this year?

I too read more manga than books these days , but Ive always been a big reader. I am waiting for he money to buy the books I need to catch up on my guilty pleasure =P anita blake and merry gentry novels lol. This year I reread a bunch of my piers anthony novels. I just finished question quest. I also reread a book I hadnt read for years calls pride of the peacock by Victoria Holt. =)

I'm a huge reader. I can't even begin to count the number of books I've read this year. (One of the library locations is about 2 minutes from work, so I'm there at LEAST once a week.) I just remember hearing a trivia thing on the radio the average person reads 6 books a year, and I was thinking that I've often read that many in a week. I don't go anywhere without my Nook, because I'll read any time I'm sitting anywhere for more than a couple minutes.

If I had to pin down a few of my favorite books this year, I'd have to say the Mortal Instrument series as a whole.

I've read a lot of good books this year. I'm also currently really enjoying a series by Rebecca Cantrell, that takes place in Berlin/Germany between WW I and WW II.

I don't have any reading goals, other than to finally finish Anne Rice's vampire series. I've been stuck on Tale of the Body Thief for an embarrassingly long amount of time. Other than that, I have a running list of favorite authors at my local library and I get their newest books as soon as they release.

I did go to my first book signing this month (James Rollins), so I have the goal of trying to get to more book signings next year.

Guest Tahalika

Man I love books, but haven't read a book in ages. I've done most of my reading on just news articles and stuff, and not of stories. I really need to get around to reading again; even if it's digital copies or something, just need to read.

I think the last book I've read was the second Vampire Hunter D novel. I've been wanting to read the entire series, but I've heard not all of the books have been translated, so I ended up stopping just after the first two. Bweh.

My favorite book this year is definitely the hunger games trilogy. I'm pretty sure you read those already but I thought I would put it out there!

I read manga much more often but for novels wise, not so much.

Ha, yes I read that trilogy in January, haha. I don't really read manga but there is one series that I did read and I loved, The Dreaming.

I'm a huge reader. I can't even begin to count the number of books I've read this year. (One of the library locations is about 2 minutes from work, so I'm there at LEAST once a week.) I just remember hearing a trivia thing on the radio the average person reads 6 books a year, and I was thinking that I've often read that many in a week. I don't go anywhere without my Nook, because I'll read any time I'm sitting anywhere for more than a couple minutes.

If I had to pin down a few of my favorite books this year, I'd have to say the Mortal Instrument series as a whole.

I've read a lot of good books this year. I'm also currently really enjoying a series by Rebecca Cantrell, that takes place in Berlin/Germany between WW I and WW II.

I don't have any reading goals, other than to finally finish Anne Rice's vampire series. I've been stuck on Tale of the Body Thief for an embarrassingly long amount of time. Other than that, I have a running list of favorite authors at my local library and I get their newest books as soon as they release.

I did go to my first book signing this month (James Rollins), so I have the goal of trying to get to more book signings next year.

HAHA I know what you mean! I read 6 books in a week. During the week I was at the beach, I read 15 books and they weren't small books either. And I take either my nook or iPad with me every where I go and they both have books. Plus, my library has an app and it's on my iPad so I can check books out on my iPad to read. I haven't read Mortal Instruments yet. Is it good?

That series by Rebecca Cantrell sounds interesting.

I haven't started Anna Rice's books yet but they are on my list to read.

OH MY GOSH! That's amazing! I wish I could go to a Book signing! How was it? Was it a long line? Was he at a bookstore or just a random place?

I used to carry about books with me everywhere until my parents got me the Nook last year. Now, I don't know how I ever got by without one. My mom has one too (She has a normal Nook and the Nook HD+) and she gets eBooks from the library. I haven't started doing that yet.

Mortal Instruments was very good, I thought. It mixed in a lot of the supernatural/teen romance stuff, but not in the sparkly Twilight way. It followed a lot of supernatural lore, while throwing in their own thoughts and stuff made up to make things more interesting. My husband who is HUGE into lore for vampires and the supernatural, who hated Twilight because of the butchered lore, loved the movie made from the first book. (I haven't gotten him to read the books yet.)

The book signing was amazing! We had a blast. It was at a new/used bookstore in Denver (Though it's the size of most Barnes and Noble stores here). There were probably around 50 people. It was James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell (They have a series together, so they were touring for that.) and they started with a brief introduction as to how James came up with the idea for the series, how he approached Rebecca about it, then they talked about their writing process. After that they did a brief Q&A thing, then signed books. It was such an awesome experience even though you didn't really get a chance to talk with them a lot. It was nice getting to actually see their personalities and I liked knowing one of my favorite authors wasn't a jerk, like some of my other favorites seem to be.

My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Deadly Hollows, I just loved the entire saga :wub_anim:. My goal for 2014 is to finish reading Game of Thrones, which is one of the books I'm currently reading, as well as the Mockingjay (I'm really not sure how it is spelled lol :P ).

My goal in 2012 was to read at least 12 classics that I hadn't read yet, and I've continued in 2013. I haven't been as structured these past few months as I'd like, so I'm going to make a list for 2014. I'd like to read all of Shakespeare's plays, so I think I'd like to read one a month next year. And The Tale of Genji, which has been on my list for a while. I've started A Long Walk to Freedom, so I'd like to finish that (doubt it will happen in 2013, so I guess that goes on 2014's list). Same with How to Win Friends and Influence People (I'm taking notes on that one, so it's a slow read, and I keep having to return it to the library). I'm doing e-mail programs that will have me finish reading the Catechism (of the Catholic Church) and the Gospels in a year. What else? Maybe The Great Gatsby, continue tackling the Newberry Medal list (I've finished the last few decades, but I still need to read many of the older ones), the Divergent and Matched series (which I got for Christmas last year), Maus, Magneto's Testament... My other goals include reading 1000 poems (so maybe one a day is a good goal, with the ultimate goal of 250 by the end of the year) and working on my writing (I think I'll start with 15 minutes per day in January, and increase each month). Yeah, I obviously need to prioritize and firm up my goals!

My favorite fiction book I read this year was probably Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe; a close second (because I technically finished it just before 2013 started, but it was the most unique book I've ever read) was Wonderstruck: A Novel in Words and Pictures (by Brian Selznick, who wrote The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I haven't read yet, though I saw the movie). The best nonfiction was by far Bomb: The Race to Build -- and Steal -- the World's Most Dangerous Weapon. I also read a heart-wrenching manga about the multi-generational effects of the atomic bomb called Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms.