Losing a Job to a Former Employee

Anxious Zombie

So I applied for a receptionist job at a veterinary clinic, got an interview, and felt like it went well. Today I got an email from my contact at the clinic saying they gave the job to a former employee.

Arg!

I'm already going up against all the other vet assist. graduates of 2012, but now I have to battle former employees too? You can't win against a former employee!

I hope so, though it's going to be hard to beat a clinic on the go train route that has two in house cats. But maybe I'll find a cat only clinic! (I do love dogs too, but if I had to pick one or the other, it's always going to be the cat)

Ugh, that is so rough. :( Perhaps they'll be hiring again soon- they may be reminded as to why that employee was a former employee! Sometimes people will rehire people that didn't work just so they don't have to do any training. Maybe something better will pop up soon though!

That's no good at all! It's so difficult to get a job these days no matter how good your credentials are. Just keep trying because I believe it wasn't meant to be and when the right one comes along for you, you'll get it. Good luck with it all and fingers crossed for the next one.

it's not all so much that, but kids learn comp thingies more than we older people did, and yes they want someone that is younger and knows their stuff over one who has to be trained.

• 2 months later...

Oh I know how that is! I work in the same industry, but trust me there are SOO many vet clinics to apply to.

Try looking on Indeed. It's a job search engine that combines other search engine results into one site.

Also, look at ER clinics. There is usually a high turn over rate so you should be able to find something.

Don't worry, you will get a job!