LOTR fans?

The_Warblers

Believe it or not, I have not finished any movie yet. There are many fans of these trilogies, but how comes I slept some time right at the first movie.

There is NOTHING happens and the ending is just go on and on and on and on.

Is there someone who does not enjoy these trilogies as well? Or am I the only one?

I love the movies but I can't watch them too regularly. They're good when I wanna marathon a movie but otherwise no. I really love the action in it and probably won't see The Hobbit in theaters just because I never liked the book. I keep meaning to read the LOTR books but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I love love love them! One day me and my boyfriend had an LOTR movie marathon. Now that was a long day... But yes, I think they're awesome movies, beautiful scenery, great acting, spectacular music and story. You should give them another try I think :)

HOLY CRAPOLA! How could you not watch the videos!? XD Crazy! Nonsense!

It's a selective series, I guess. For example I'm not big on Star Wars. I prefer the fantasy things, maybe that's why. But I never read any of the books, too dry for my hyper brain.

LOTR, if I'm correct, is where the beginings of fantasy for us nerds as we know it. It laid the ground for D&D.

I like them well enough. I read the books when I was 11, and I thought they were fabulous, though I haven't re-read them since then. I saw each of the movies in theatres, and I have rewatched The Fellowship of the Ring a million times (I haven't seen the other two again though.)

My girlfriend is a huuuuuge LotR fan, so we are in the middle of watching the extended versions, and I'll be seeing the Hobbit in theatres. :)

Around every 4 or 5 months, I get my full 4 hour extended editions, sit down with my huge unused TV, and marathon for 12 hours straight.

I love Tolkien and LotR. I love the movies, love the books, love the RTS games, all of it.

I was okay with the movies - I was rather unenthused about the books. I dunno, I just couldn't get past the first few chapters.

I'm a HUGE Hobbit fan though. It was a book I read growing up, and still continue to read on occassion. I will definitely be going to see The Hobbit in theaters :) But as far as LotR, I'm okay not watching the movies or reading the books. Lawl.

I was okay with the movies - I was rather unenthused about the books. I dunno, I just couldn't get past the first few chapters.

I'm a HUGE Hobbit fan though. It was a book I read growing up, and still continue to read on occassion. I will definitely be going to see The Hobbit in theaters :) But as far as LotR, I'm okay not watching the movies or reading the books. Lawl.

Yeah the problem is with the first book. Its huge, and very slow. The 2nd and 3rd one pick up the pace a lot tough. But yeah it took me like 2 tries to get through the first one too...

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that Tolkien originally wrote the hobbit because when he submitted the LotR books, nobody wanted to publish them.

Yeah, I have decided to skipped the first one. Not going to give it another try

But I ll watch the 2nd & 3rd movies. Hope I ll change my mind :) Seems like I'm the only one who sleep during LOTR

I didn't find the 1st movie to be bad. But in the book seriously, 300 pages in, and they're still in the shire.

The first movie wasn't bad, just a lot of walking (

). And if you haven't read the first book or read the Hobbit, I imagine the plot could be a little confusing.

So people usually have to read books before they can enjoy the movies? I have no intention to pick up those books. It's ....... too thick for my far-sighted & fragile eyes

So people usually have to read books before they can enjoy the movies? I have no intention to pick up those books. It's ....... too thick for my far-sighted & fragile eyes

I think that a lot of movies that are based on book series are confusing for people who haven't read them. Good recent examples are the Twilight and Harry Potter movies. There's just too much detail to include in the movie and so they can only give you the minimum.

Just ignore Twightlight because I'm not interested in both movies & books. And you?

I have read Harry Porter, like the first book only. I watch movies and understand it just fine. Although there are some scenes with abrupt transitions & don't really make sense :)

Just ignore Twightlight because I'm not interested in both movies & books. And you?

I have read Harry Porter, like the first book only. I watch movies and understand it just fine. Although there are some scenes with abrupt transitions & don't really make sense :)

Its when you get to book 7 (movie 7/8) it gets really confusing to someone who hasn't read the book. A lot of the convoluted back story gets cut out(I mostly noticed cause i know the books backwards in 2 different languages XD)

HOLY CRAPOLA! How could you not watch the videos!? XD Crazy! Nonsense!

It's a selective series, I guess. For example I'm not big on Star Wars. I prefer the fantasy things, maybe that's why. But I never read any of the books, too dry for my hyper brain.

LOTR, if I'm correct, is where the beginings of fantasy for us nerds as we know it. It laid the ground for D&D.

I completely agree with you. I love books but for some reason I could not for the life of me finish any of the LOTR books. I'm in love with the movies though and I'll be seeing The Hobbit in theatres in the next day or two actually. & strangely enough I'm a huge D&D fan. :laughingsmiley:

I think that a lot of movies that are based on book series are confusing for people who haven't read them. Good recent examples are the Twilight and Harry Potter movies. There's just too much detail to include in the movie and so they can only give you the minimum.

I really don't think Twilight is the least bit confusing, whether you have read the books or not it's a very easy to understand plot, at least to me. Can't comment on Harry Potter because I read all the books. :P However I did feel kinda sad with what they did to The Hunger Games. The movie was eh, okay... but for anyone who read the books they were so much better. The movie left out a lot of parts I thought were pretty vital to the story.

I'm a giant LOTR fan. I'm so excited to the Hobbit I can barely contain myself.

I love the movies - I remember when they came out and people were saying it had some of the greatest visual effects at the time. I think movie effects have certainly improved since then, but it certainly set the stage for the future. :)

I can see how people think they're boring, though. The books are about the world itself as much as the storyline. One could almost become a historian on Middle Earth. :P I read the books in grade 5 and while I enjoyed them, actually quit about 3 chapters from the end of The Return of The King because I had had enough, LOL. I hope to read them again soon, grade 5 was a long time ago.

=

I can see how people think they're boring, though. The books are about the world itself as much as the storyline. One could almost become a historian on Middle Earth. :P I read the books in grade 5 and while I enjoyed them, actually quit about 3 chapters from the end of The Return of The King because I had had enough, LOL. I hope to read them again soon, grade 5 was a long time ago.

You've inspired me to try to pick up the books again. Haha, once I'm done with The Hobbit I think I might have another go at the books. :)

That's actually true, people say that that the main character in the LotR is the plot, and I tend to agree. Its much more apparent in the books, but the characters don't get explained as well or have their though processes examined as much as in the modern fantasy were used to. Its written almost like a ballad, with focus on their actions rather than motivations.

That's actually true, people say that that the main character in the LotR is the plot, and I tend to agree. Its much more apparent in the books, but the characters don't get explained as well or have their though processes examined as much as in the modern fantasy were used to. Its written almost like a ballad, with focus on their actions rather than motivations.

I like this comparison - but the only problem is half of the first book is no action at all. Haha

I like this comparison - but the only problem is half of the first book is no action at all. Haha

Yeah OK no dispute there. I think pretty much the number one thing keeping people from finding out how wonderful these books are is the first half of the first book. Cause its totally not representative of the trilogy as a whole.

(on the other hand, try reading Moby-puppyblew.......)

... nice auto correct, i meant "the whale" basicaly

• 2 weeks later...