Does anyone know of any good tension headache remedies?

~Xandria

These past two weeks have been really bad for me. I've been suffering from really bad neck/back tension which has been causing constant none-stop headaches. I've had one literally everyday these past two weeks. I know it's being caused by my neck/back pain, but I don't really know how to get rid of that. :/

So anyways.... I was wondering if anyone knew of any good "home" remedies? Maybe something I could buy at the store? I've taken every over the counter pain killer they have and none of them work. The only thing that used to work was Excedrin, but they have completely taken it off the market where I live. -_-

I've heard drinking coffee can help, can anyone verify this? I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Thanks guys. PS: Sorry I haven't been around as much lately. I hope all of you are doing well. ^^

Caffeine might help, but not always.

You can try to either have a hot shower to relax your muscles OR to put ice on your neck/shoulder area. Stretching and doing little yes movements (about 30-50 of them) followed by small no movements might help too.

If nothing works, book an appointment for osteopathy or physiotherapy. These professionals can help your pain to go away and can also give you exercises to do at home.

Sorry to hear about your headaches :( Hope you feel better soon.

Not drinking enough fluids is a common cause of headaches. I assume you're drinking enough?

If normal painkillers don't work I should try to go and see a doctor.

I would have thought coffee was more liekly to cause headaches...

Aww, I'm sorry you're in so much pain, sweetie. -hugs-

I've heard that stretching and applying heat are the best home remedies. Take a warm-to-hot bath, and make sure that your back and neck are in the water, not really propped up on the back of the bath as is normal. Heating pads or a water bottle should work as well.

-hugs- I'm glad to see you back- I was getting a little worried. :3

My advice as a pharmacy student: Massages and hot/cold packs are definitely a good idea. As for the caffeine, a small amount of caffeine actually makes some painkillers work better, which is why many headache painkiller formulations contain caffeine. You could give one of those a try! I'd also recommend seeing your doctor if this isn't something that goes away soon since he/she can prescribe you some stronger painkillers or medications that are specific to tension headaches. Hope you feel better soon my dear!

You guys are all AMAZING. Really great suggestions here.

Zepha - Thank you so much for your ice pack remedy! Alternating between that and a heating pad made my headache go away. The ice pack really really helped my tension like nothing else would, if only for a little bit. I really appreciate it.

Rebecca - Thank you so much dear. & Thank you for the concern... I wasn't trying to worry anybody. :( Aside from the pain I have been doing just fine. ^^

Gingerew - Yes, you were so right. I had some coffee a couple hours ago and that along with the advil has been helping.

Thank you so much everyone! :wub_anim:

Oh good, I'm so glad you're getting some relief. <3 And I know you aren't trying to worry people- I worry very easily, LOL. :3 I'm glad you're doing okay. <3

Caffeine is what makes Excedrin so effective, since it's combined with the painkiller. One cup of coffee plus an extra strength acetaminophen-containing painkiller will be basically the same thing (although Excedrin also has aspirin). If you're not used to having a lot of caffeine though you should definitely go easy on it! Too much will make the problem worse. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer so I know how you feel *hug*

Caffeine is what makes Excedrin so effective, since it's combined with the painkiller. One cup of coffee plus an extra strength acetaminophen-containing painkiller will be basically the same thing (although Excedrin also has aspirin). If you're not used to having a lot of caffeine though you should definitely go easy on it! Too much will make the problem worse. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer so I know how you feel *hug*

You know it's funny. I can't drink coffee by itself with just sugar, so I opted for some creamer. A friend recommended hazelnut creamer and now I just can't get enough of the stuff! It's like Christmas in a cup. (Sorry was watching Elf with Will Ferrell earlier!) :laughingsmiley: But wow, it's insanely good!

Thanks so much for the well wishes. I'm sorry to hear you suffer from migraines too. :(

I'm really happy to read that you feel better!

I get those tension headeaches easily... Like if I carry something too heavy for too long, or just sitting at my computer for a while with a bad posture. Ugggh!