Why does TDN have more visitors than members?

~Xandria

Just out of curiousity. I saw this at the bottom of the page, never really noticed it before.

14 members, 291 guests, 2 anonymous users

291 guests?! These people need to sign up and start chatting! hehe. I used the dailies for a month or so before I even realized that there was a forum. I've been on other forums before but I never end up staying long, even if it's centered around something really interesting to me. I've really fallen in love with this place though. :P Then again, I guess a lot of people just like to keep to themselves? Idk. :tired:

I'm also curious about how many "active" members we have. I know there's a list of members, but I suspect most of those users haven't been on in quite some time. So about how many people do you think come and post regularly? ;)

i agree with karmacow. even though i used the dailies and would sometimes read the forums, it took me a while to sign up. also sometimes i get logged out and dont notice until i try and post a comment. so technically i would be one the "guests" viewing haha.

As far as I am aware, most of the 200-odd people were googling something and this came up. :) When googling a neopets related question, I often get old topics in my search!

As for how many are active... I donno! Some come and go- are less active while in school, but pick Neopets and TDN back up when they have more free time. It's hard to really guage!

You're right Rebecca. That's probably a difficult question to answer. From what I've seen, I'd say somewhere in the ball-park of 100 or so active members. (that at least post every other day). I could be way off though. & You're right... I often am led here while googling something neo, so that would make for a lot of the visitors!

You're right Rebecca. That's probably a difficult question to answer. From what I've seen, I'd say somewhere in the ball-park of 100 or so active members. (that at least post every other day). I could be way off though. & You're right... I often am lead here while googling something neo, so that would make for a lot of the visitors!

100-ish active members sounds like it's a pretty good guess! :)

When we write articles, there's a big chance we link to a forum topic to explain something in more detail. An example could be the Altador plot, many people click the link to our forum to see if anyone else had the same problem as they did. When they find a solution, they're happy and leave the forum again to play Neopets.

There are also enough people who are unsure to join a forum, either since they don't know how to act on a forum, or since they are not allowed to (by their parents for example), or whatever personal reason. So those will just lurk around to see how things are done here before they decide to join up.

Last you've got the bots. I don't mean spambots, I mean bots from search engines (like Google, Yahoo, Bing). They look through all the pages of the forum and update the content on their websites constantly. Assume that between 20 and 50 of those guests aren't human.

When we write articles, there's a big chance we link to a forum topic to explain something in more detail. An example could be the Altador plot, many people click the link to our forum to see if anyone else had the same problem as they did. When they find a solution, they're happy and leave the forum again to play Neopets.

There are also enough people who are unsure to join a forum, either since they don't know how to act on a forum, or since they are not allowed to (by their parents for example), or whatever personal reason. So those will just lurk around to see how things are done here before they decide to join up.

Last you've got the bots. I don't mean spambots, I mean bots from search engines (like Google, Yahoo, Bing). They look through all the pages of the forum and update the content on their websites constantly. Assume that between 20 and 50 of those guests aren't human.

Thank you for clearing that up in such detail Viridian. I actually had no idea about the "bots". I guess I'm not as internet savvy as I thought I was. :P I mean, I think things get listed on google in the order that they are clicked on right? As in the one with the most hits will be at the top of the list and it just goes down from there? Is that why there are so many bots, because they have to sort through all of the "hits" on websites so often?