NaNoWriMo 2012

Welcome Back Apathy

Two more days until it's that time of year again! Are you in?

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November. The goal is to write a full 50,000 word novel during the month of November. Of course, that's the official goal, but some people set different goals depending on their situation.

For example, I'm currently trying to decide between two goals. One is to write a 50,000 word sequel to the novel I finished up this year. However, that novel is still in the editing process, so my other possibility is to finish up the editing and find a publisher. Please vote, guys: should I finish editing the novel, or should I take a break from it and write 50,000 words of a sequel? (I don't have a full-fledged story idea for a sequel--in fact, I have a lot of subplot ideas, but not a fleshed-out idea for the MAIN part of the plot.)

Good luck, regardless of which goal you set! :D

Personally, I would finish editing your novel. I like to have things finished so I can give that item a big checkmark. :D I hate starting a new, big project when another one is allllmost done. :)

NaNoWriMo Is awsome, i'm thinking about doing it again this year. I guess you should write something, if not your sequel do something else... You can always go back to editing later. I guess you are not supposed to do anything great, what requires much more than a month.

Looks like editing wins out here. I would really, really like to be done with it so I can send it in. I realized, though, that a lot of my free time is spent away from my computer, so it's harder to edit. So I think I'm going to try to do a hybrid: set an editing goal for myself for every day, while also spending some time writing in my notebook while I'm on the train. Maybe I'll storyboard on the train/bus and then use December as my own nowrimo.

Anybody else up for it?

Looks like editing wins out here. I would really, really like to be done with it so I can send it in. I realized, though, that a lot of my free time is spent away from my computer, so it's harder to edit. So I think I'm going to try to do a hybrid: set an editing goal for myself for every day, while also spending some time writing in my notebook while I'm on the train. Maybe I'll storyboard on the train/bus and then use December as my own nowrimo.

I think this is the best idea. :) I was also going to suggest finishing up the first one before starting the second, but maybe beginning to write the sequel will also help you improve the first novel.

I'll maybe write 50 000 words worth of scientific papers this month, but I definitely don't have time to write a novel for fun. :laughingsmiley:

I'll maybe write 50 000 words worth of scientific papers this month, but I definitely don't have time to write a novel for fun. :laughingsmiley:

Go go go go go! Write those papers! You can do it! Remember, about 2,000 words every day...

What is this i dont get it. I am an author (or a good writer atleast) can I join?

Anyone can join at all!

Here`s the website: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

You can sign up there, or just do it completely on your own. Good luck!

I'm doing it (or at least trying to do it) this year. I've tried to do it in previous years and I could never gather enough motivation to finish.

Hopefully this year I'll complete a 50,000-word novel and be satisfied with it.

Guest ErikaChristine

I can't believe a whole year has passed since the last NaNoWriMo! :O This is my 3rd year involved. I finished in 2010, but only made it to 40k last year and then real life screwed things up. :P

But I'm excited to get back into it this year. I've done 1,800 words so far today, and I think I'm going to try and get some more tonight.

How is everyone else doing on day 1?!

I can't believe a whole year has passed since the last NaNoWriMo! :O This is my 3rd year involved. I finished in 2010, but only made it to 40k last year and then real life screwed things up. :P

But I'm excited to get back into it this year. I've done 1,800 words so far today, and I think I'm going to try and get some more tonight.

How is everyone else doing on day 1?!

You're doing great so far :-D I really didn't get much of a chance today. I'm trying to set a goal of editing 3 scenes per day on top of trying to write a little each day. I made it through editing one scene and starting to try to storyboard the sequel, when I realized that I completely messed up the setting. Completely. It's bad. I might have to redo the whole idea because the setting doesn't make sense. (I swear, the setting is actually quite important for plot vs. subplot. I need it to take place in New Mexico and Washington, apparently at the same time with the same people in both. But it also CAN'T take place in New Mexico because of a character who can never go back there.)

Ruto and miemieh, you guys are doing great! Did you guys already have the whole thing planned out chapter by chapter, or are you going off of a basic plot outline? My one last year, I completely planned it out before doing it. I had done a basic plot outline of it for years, and it never made it anywhere. But each time I scrapped it and restarted, it got more and more complicated until it became the beautiful plot masterpiece it is today.

I'm not having the best motivation or luck this year. I put all 180 pages of last year's novel on my flash drive so I could take it to school and edit there. Turns out, when I use the school computers, it converts the file and I can't get into it on my own computer. I spent an hour and a half trying to fix it yesterday. Fortunately, I have it back, but I have to see if there's something else I can do instead. For some reason, too, Google Docs won't load it at all.

On the plus side, I fixed my setting problem. Road trip! Road trip that my protagonist doesn't realize is going to be longer...she thinks it's just from Montana to Washington, but they make a stop in Colorado instead of New Mexico. She's not happy, needless to say...