The Green Uni Project

Samuel

You may have read in this week's NT about the Green Uni Project that's dominating some of the help chat. It's loacated at http://petpages.neopets.com/~Green_Uni_Morpher and referenced below:

There is a Petpage where it sponsors a place for adopting and morphing rare painted pets into green Unis. Is this reportable? The boards are going crazy about it! The Petpage is called GUP: Green Uni Project. ~anticipating

And...

Hallo thur TNT! =D I'm sure it has already been brought to your attention, but there is a new group of people who call themselves "GUP" (Green Uni Project). They have been causing quite a stir on the help chat, and when I went to investigate I was horrified to find out what they were doing! They are pound surfing for painted Neopets to morph into green Unis as they believe that people should work for their Neopets, instead of adopting them. I know that once a Neopet enters the Pound it is up to anyone what they do once they adopt it. But this is a bit far, no? x-x So, I was just wondering, is there anything you can do about this? Or are the "GUP" members going to be left to carry on with their green Uni-ifying? Thanks, TNT! ^^ Also, could you pretty please leave my name out?

And many, many more...

This is not reportable unless said users are breaking rules, such as using programs to adopt the Neopets, or outright lying or scamming to trick people into giving up their Neopets so they can nick them from the pound during a transfer. Under normal circumstances, though, once a Neopet is abandoned by its previous owner, the only person who has the right to decide how to take care of or alter the Neopet is the new owner. Some people like to adopt and cure the Neopet of any illness and feed them. Others zap them with the Lab Ray. Others… turn them into green Unis. It is the way of things. However, since we got an amazing number of questions regarding this, we'll expand our thoughts on it so you fully understand.

To be quite honest, our first reaction was, "ROFL!!" It's amusing to see all the different things players come up with to do on Neopets that we've never even imagined. ;) So we were actually more than a little amused at the true intentions of "GUP" or any group like them. In reality, begging for painted Neopets or surfing the pound looking for Neopets and only adopting them because of their colour, while perfectly legitimate, is, well... we'll just say it's not as rewarding an experience as creating a Neopet (or adopting one) and enhancing it yourself. While many players consider the practice of these "GUP" users "cruel," we find it no more cruel than people who only adopt Neopets for their use as a status symbol and dump them back in the pound as soon as a "better" colour comes along... or people who require outrageous "applications" for their Neopets only to use it to draw attention to themselves and hold other users in the balance while they decide. Why isn't any of that considered taking it "too far?" Of course we know not everyone is like this, but a lot of users are, and we don't blame anyone for taking a stand against it.

In any case, no matter which "side" you've chosen, no one has the right to spam or harass another person for ANY reason. You're welcome to disagree and debate the various points of view or express your opinions on the subject, but keep it civil. And remember... Neopets is a game. It's supposed to be fun, not taken so seriously that your head explodes from the stress.

What are your thoughts on the project? Good or bad? Why?

Reminder: The GUP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i heard about them while going through the boards, i think its kinda funny.

I think its good, mainly because everyone waits till the 4 month until they can finally adopt a great painted pet from the pound,

they don't want to earn it themselves so they go round the pound getting one for free

Its good because turning pets to green unis makes people earn tehir paintbrushes and earn their pet raher than finding one

Personally I'm against it. I can see where they're coming from on the whole 'you need to earn you pets' thing, but many people love an adopted LE/painted pet just as much as one they hand painted. It gives owners who wish to keep the coloring a unique chance to fit personality a little more around color, while with hand painted pets the color fits personality. My Kimmopix, for example. Color was the inital reaction for me to adopt her, but I created a personality for her that could have been VERY different had she been another color or species. Also, many people wish to see their labbed/painted pets go to good homes as is, not for them to be snatched up and morphed.

I did exactly what TNT did when I saw it. Laughed. :laughingsmiley: But I think I am more against it, and I do NOT think that TNT should've put them in the times. All it did was give them publicity, and probably gain more supporters with more money. It did however gain them non-supporters, but still I'm against it, and I'm not doing anything about it because it's not something that I would really passionitly go after. Unlike the supporters, they gain a supporter, then that is one more pound surfer gathering up all those nice painted pets and I'm sure their supporters grew by he hundreds, if not thousands just from being in the times. Since Friday, their amount of pets has doubled, in 2 days. They have had to take down their list of supporters, due to hate mail, and they have had over 16,000 visitors in about a day and a half. Might I point out, that is more than TDN, JellyNeo, and PPT combined, over the last day probably.

Let me get this, they adopt pets from the pound and morph them into green unis? If so, then TNT should delete ALL pets and leave the green unis up for adoption only. I think what they're doing is wrong because they're choosing for the people. It's like saying "you'll eat it and like it!"

Well, they aren't forcing people to take them back, but yes everything there is correct, they are adopting, morphing, and then pounding again. Tis quite annoying. I'm going to check and see if the morphing potion has inflated yet. :D

EDIT: Lowest on SSW is about 15k, so they have gone up around 4-5k if I remember correctly. *goes to check website for more pets added :'(*

EDIT: Nope, no new pets added.

I don't know why TNT is on their side. Seriously, it is better to adopt pets from the pound rather than create one then abandon it. I think it is the user's choice and TNT should not allow people to make groups about forcing people to do something they don't want. Then again TNT does have a twisted mind <_<

Well, what is TNT supposed to do? Take the Green Uni Morphing Potion off the site? Make it against the rules to pound a Green Uni? Its not just one person that is doing it that they can freeze. Once you adopt the pet, you can do whatever you want to it. I don't support the GUP (its horrible to move a pet to another account only to have it changed into a Green Uni) but you can't blame TNT, as their options are very limited, short of saying "You cannot change pets into Green Unis, but if you do, there is nothing we can do about it."

Also, no one is being forced to adopt a Green Uni. There are enough pets in Neopia, and not enough GUPers, to completely fill up the pound with Green Unis.

the thing is that they're growing pretty fast. TNT should make it against the rules to unite as a group and do stuff like this. It's pretty simple, but noo TNT would rather ban someone who posts about pies. Also another thing is that they do it on purpose. They see someone trying to trade a pet with someone else because they're leaving neopets and well the person wants to find the pet a new home, then a GUP member gets on the way and changes that specific pet into a green uni just to bug the person.

wel if you are trading from one person to another you shouldnt be anoucing the time that you are pounding publicly, if you arnt and pound/adobt correctly then there is extremly little time someone else will be able to get the pet to do this to it. its your own fault for posting the pounding time publicly, if you do that then you have no right to say, hey you cant do that to my pet, becuase its not your pet anymore.

sure people may not like what they are going but there is no rule breaking going on there, just as people have the right to adoby pets and lab zap them, they have the right to morph it into a green uni.

if you want the pet taken care of and to always and forever be that species and color then take care of it yourself. as always if you put a pet in the pound its up for anybody todo anything and you just have to accept that.

i personally just find it funny and as long as they arnt beaking any rules(no matter what the motivation may be) then they can do whatever they want.

yes but as logn as they arnt breaking the rules of useing a program if you dont post when you are pounding, day or toehrwise then they have extrmly little chance of getting them

People could always chat from a side account, like you do. And you can't make it against the rules to group like that, because there is no central organization. There is one person who started it, but he does not control everything. It is like the Brotherhood in 1984. It can't be eliminated because people operate independently.

that's true, but isn't disturbing peace on the neoboards against the rules? If a person posts "okay i'm pounding a pet. Neomail me for more info" then a GUP member can also go undercover and neomail the person and get the pet or on a side account to ask which pet the person is pounding. If they did it quietly without going "muahaha i morphed it into a green uni", then it would be okay. But they're disturbing other people and as far as I know that is against the rules.

but you run just as much risk that hte person isnt trust worthy and gets frozen and pet is lost forever, or just dosnt take care of the pet at all like they may have said they would. you gotta be able to deal with ANYTHING that happens once ou pound a pet, plain and simple

true, but what they do is morph the pet and then send it to the pound again. I say it's fine as long as they don't go around annoying people. I mean sure a person pounds a pet at his own risk, but it is a bit "evil" to morph pets that u know are going in the right hands (the case if they go to the neoboards and the owner finds the perfect person to send the painted pet to). It's like a kid leaving his toy on the bench and he goes for to grab the toy he left on the slide. Another kid comes and grabs the toy on the bench because he should've taken it with him in the first place. If you find something on the street it is "technically" yours if the owner isn't around. So the GUP members KNOW the person found the right owner, they KNOW the pet will be fine, yet they go morph the pet and then pound them again (or keep it). It's just not nice and if they do get the pet and morph them, they should keep their mouth shut if they do have the best intentions.

yes but that leaves us back to if you are transfering proper you shouldnt be putting when the time or day that you are transfering so unless the person sits there manually refreshing that hole time he dont get the pet, and if he steals it by program then he is breaking the rules and wil be frozen. the only people that are losing them are the same onesthat any person could still them anyways. as long as you transfer properly you pet wont become a green uni, unlessthey are actully breaking a real rule in which case they will get their punishment.

I personally dont adopt pets from the pound prefering to create my own, and I thik its a good idea, I only painted one of my pets because I liked the speckled colour, thats all.

i dont like the GUPers (or the GUP in general) Because it is horrible to take those VERY hard earned pets and change them into GU for the fun of it

Avatar, if they were sooo hard earned, why were they abandoned in the first place? I doubt the owners cared much.

It could be a transfer to another account or a friend, or an adoption. All though I do agree with one ofr webpixie's points, an adoption shouldn't be publicly announced.

Okay yes I agree, they shouldn't be announced in public, but what can people do then? Sure, create a guild, but what if a GUP member goes undercover and joins? They don't do it because they want to do good, they do it to annoy people. They morph the pets and pound them again, isn't that what they're trying to prevent in the first place? Okay, if their intentions are good, then they should stop announcing every time they morph pets, or add a whole list of pets that have been morphed.

If they were doing good, everyone would agree with them. There is obviously something wrong the GUP members are doing.

Guest Lightning Strike

I'm downright outraged with their thoughts and behavior. It just contributes to more flaming in the HC. It also is a silly and pointless project, in my opinion. Every time I go there I see at least half the HC talking about that subject!

I also think they are a bunch of hypocrites. Don't believe me? Check their pets. All of them, except the leader, has painted pets. Downfall? I'll give them two weeks.