Finally decided to register...

incubus

Hi all (:

The other day I made the realization that I've been a member of Neopets for about half my life. I registered about 12 years ago. I wasn't on the site all of those years, but I've tried my best to remember to log in each December for the Advent Calendar. Last year I did play quite a bit after finding out about Key Quest. I loved the Mario Party games on N64, and Key Quest is kind of like an online multiplayer version of that.

I've started playing Neopets again recently, and my goal has been to have my dream pets. I'm very close --- but I'm counting on the lab ray to get a specific Robot pet, since I just found out about the Robotification Zappermajig today, and I was not playing Neopets during the year when that plot was going on. In fact, the only plot I've done is the Altador one --- TDN was imperative for me when it came to completing it, and the list of dailies have been useful, so if any of the people who created/manage this site are reading; thank you.

I've only got 1 account: 3 pets, but a 4th soon. Admittedly, for being such a long time player, my account is not all that impressive. The medals I've got are the easy to get ones (cheat, punchbag bob, ect.), though I do have an award for having had a Theme Park back in the day + an award from the PPL for having a Fat Cat, which I named after one of my cats (who is now deceased of old age --- RIP) at the time. Needless to say, the account has a lot of sentimental value.

I recently dropped a ton of NP on things for getting the pets I want. Traded a BattleGlowJewel and a few Halloween Paint Brushes (I'll tell the story about those in the "luckiest thing that happened to you on Neopets" thread...) for a Maraquan Paint Brush. Also just bought a Pirate Draik Egg along with a Darigan Paint Brush, which nearly cleared out my bank account.

I joined because I have questions, plus some stories to share. I can't really help out with some of the new features (I don't even know what the Habitarium is, but I'll look into it since it seems a lot of people are discussing it here), but if anyone has any questions about what Neopets was like "back then", let me know! I used to play it every day when I was younger, and I still remember a lot of it as if it were yesterday.

See everyone on the forum. :)

HI there, and welcome to TDN! Wow, you definitely have been on the site a long time. o_O I have been on for about half my life as well, but I think I'm a couple years younger than you. XD I joined in spring 2001. :)

Definitely feel free to ask any questions you have! :D Habi is fab, but definitely takes a bit to get used to. And serious congrats on working towards your dream pets! :D Which robot pet do you want?

Definitely get to work on Habi as soon as you can. It's a Neopoints-making machine. Definitely worth it.

Also, there are rumors of a battle plot coming up, so focus on training your pets so you don't miss out on another plot!

Hope my advice helped a bit. I'd love to hear you reminisce some time; I've been on Neo for a long time as well, but not nearly as long.

Welcome to TDN!

Welcome to the forums! :) I'm also a longtime (off and on) user of 11 years, and I remember back in the day too. Like you, I always tried to log on for the Advent Calendar in December. Who can resist free stuff. I love your fat cat story, and glad to hear that you're finally getting your dream pets! Look forward to seeing you around the site.

serious congrats on working towards your dream pets! :D Which robot pet do you want?

Thank you - I'm so comfortable with the species and colors that I'll have, I'll likely never change them. The one Robot color that I want is for my Kiko, which was my first pet. It was Red when I created it. If Robot color didn't exist, I would probably have wanted to leave it Red for nostalgia, but I really like the way the Robot Kiko looks. Of course after using the lab, it's now the wrong color and wrong species --- I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to buy morphing potions so when it's species changes from the lab ray, I can revert it back to a Kiko, increasing my chances of ultimately getting the Robot Kiko. It's going to be tough, no matter what. I'll check out Habitarium soon :thumbsup:

Definitely get to work on Habi as soon as you can. It's a Neopoints-making machine. Definitely worth it.

Also, there are rumors of a battle plot coming up, so focus on training your pets so you don't miss out on another plot!

Hope my advice helped a bit. I'd love to hear you reminisce some time; I've been on Neo for a long time as well, but not nearly as long.

Welcome to TDN!

Thanks --- you said Habitarium is good for making NP, but is it fun? I like the aspect of making NP and hoarding items, but most of all I play for fun, so I don't always care to do tedious things like restock shops / sniping auctions ect... I know some may find those things entertaining, but I'm not too interested. I'm always worried about playing 1 player battledome, but I've already lost a couple matches and tarnished the perfect record, so at this point it doesn't really matter (:

Here is one weird thing about Neopets back then --- from time to time, Neopets would have exclusive things you could get by signing up for one of their advertiser's sites --- The things that come to mind which were offered for these signups were these "totems" for accessing Mystery Island --- originally you needed to collect 3 totems to get to the island, but since it was not possible to exchange them between two accounts (sell/auction/give ect), the only way you could possibly get the 3 totems was by signing up on 3 of their advertiser's sites. There was another time when they handed out Meerca plushies (virtual items... not real life ones) for completing a signup (I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive) --- most of them were regular plushies, but I remember a friend of mine got a magical one through that offer. This all seems pretty normal, but the thing was that the sites that they were advertising (and requiring a signup to, in exchange for these virtual items) included things that kids mostly had no interest in, or were too young to even be eligible for! It was pretty random, and I'm not so sure that Neopets actually were trying to profit from these, they may have been using the money they made from these advertisements to help fund the server costs. Eventually they got more suitable advertisers, like I remember they had a cartoon network sponsor game which was actually interesting and most of my friends ended up sticking around to play that site's game too. Nowadays they advertise things like kids breakfast cereals, Pokemon, Nickelodeon, ect. so I'm guessing the site is more successful by showing more relevant ads these days :laughingsmiley: Quite honestly, I'm willing to bet that very few younger players (at the time) actually adhered to the age restriction of those offers... Think about it, the FIRST new world to ever be introduced to the game --- who wouldn't want to go? :woot:

I love your fat cat story

Yes! I'll have to scan a picture of him, because he actually was in fact a fat cat, and was also black and white. I've even got a picture of him wearing a bowtie, just like the Fat Cat in Neopets (just not the same color).

Edited by incubus

Hi! Welcome to tdnforums, you'll love it around here :)

Thanks (:

As promised, the picture of my fat cat :)

vi-ZAbbJ.jpg

Here are pictures of the cats that I have now:

siamese tortie--

vi-IMP5g9.jpg

russian blue (korat?) --- he's the most friendly of the 4 of them...

vi-69bOrt.jpg

tigers? They are feral cats that were going to otherwise be put to sleep, so a family member adopted them... they spent 2 weeks hiding in a closet where we fed them... next thing we knew, they owned the house... they are still frightened of people other than those who live in my house. They are brother and sister---

vi-tSoy8n.jpg

vi-hgwp5C.jpg

Awww, kitties! They're all so adorable- and I just love your fat cat in the bowtie. :DDD

Welcome to the forums!

Good luck on getting your robot pet. I'm also trying to get one of my pets to be in a robot, but mostly for the casing (since she's my lab rat). Habitarium isn't really exciting or fun in my opinion, it's more like... the money can be gained easily (at level 50) for people who tend to leave their computers on a lot (other people can too, but it's more profitable if your computer is generally on to run Habitarium).

Your cat with the little bow is precious. :D

Thanks for the compliments about the cats. I <3 them :)

Good luck on getting your robot pet. I'm also trying to get one of my pets to be in a robot, but mostly for the casing (since she's my lab rat).

Yeah, mine is actually a lab rat too, which is pretty shameful considering it's my first pet. I actually remembered yesterday that there are those random events which can cause pets to turn baby, blue, red, or invisible --- for that reason, I can't be too obsessed about having the robot pet (at least not forever) since there could always be that slim chance that it's color changes randomly. The casing would be AWESOME though, so good luck to you as well w/ getting that!

money can be gained easily (at level 50) for people who tend to leave their computers on a lot

Thanks for that info. I keep my PC running a lot, so it may be worth looking into, even though Neopoints are not as important to me now that I have just about everything that I want in terms of pets and their colors :) Always thought about maxing out the Neohome, but it isn't that important.

I have my lab rat as my active pet all the time (unless I need to switch), but I'm always scared of running in those random events when I use my other pets! I think the worse that can happen is having just painted your ideal pet, only to get Bochi to turn it into a baby (unless that was your ideal pet).

I don't think I can ever rest without knowing I have money in bank. What if you have a sudden urge to lose all your money in gambling games? The Wheel of Extravagance will probably like your money. :P

I used to play Neopets in its early 2000s (I think I first joined in 2000 or 2001). I don't remember much back then, except the bad art (which I am strangely fond of) and making money was ridiculously hard (I never got to 1 million NP during the year I played, nor any of the paint brushes for my pets.)

For some reason fat cats are always super adorable! Welcome to the forums, I hope you like it a lot so far! :laughingsmiley:

Lol when I think of fat cats I am reminded of a certain orange tabby with a us president's name.....

Anyways, welcome to the forums incubus! Glad you finally decided to register