Has anyone been watching the National Conventions?

cleomiele

Have any Americans (or non-Americans too!) been watching either one of the National Conventions this past week? I've heard some pretty interesting things on both sides and just really want to be able to have a conversation about them with someone (the curse of having friends that don't care for politics)!

If you did happen to catch either, which one do you prefer? What were some of your highlights from each one? And if you want to get really ambitious, you could even throw in a prediction for this fall as well ;)

My highlight so far was probably the speech from Mayor Julian Castro. He is the mayor of my city and it was awesome to (for once) see Texas represented in a positive, respectable light...plus, I'm still in awe that we have a Democratic mayor in the first place. But hey, it works for me!

I'm not American and I haven't watched the conventions, but I genuinely hope that Obama wins.

Are there any speeches on Youtube or anywhere else snippets of the conventions could be watched? If anyone had links to anything they particularly enjoyed, I'd definitely check them out. :)

I genuinely hope so, too :) this is a dark time for politics in America, I would say.

Here's a link to Julian Castro:

I personally think he's outstanding because he's representing Texas (which is notoriously a red state, meaning very conservative) in a way that actually aligns with my interests and beliefs. I think that's just great to see.

Another highlight was of course First Lady Michelle Obama! Here's a link to hers:

I can't speak for the Republican highlights, as I'm obviously biased the other way, but I'm sure there are some in there somewhere. Hopefully someone else can add that perspective :)

I saw some quotes from Michelle Obamas speech floating around Tumblr. God, that woman is flippin' amazing. If the Democrats don't win this Fall, I may have to open up my little house to any left-leaning Americans that want to come take refuge from the terrifying politics of Romney and co. D:

I haven't actually been following the conventions though- basically all my American poltical news comes from Tumblr and Shakesville, and I`ve been slacking on reading Shakesville recently. XD

I've been watching for my political science class, and there's been really interesting speeches. I personally hope Romney wins. What I find interesting is that in the big speeches at the end of the night is all attacking Romney and saying what Obama wants to happen, not what Obama has done. I think Clinton talked a little about that, but still.

I saw some quotes from Michelle Obamas speech floating around Tumblr. God, that woman is flippin' amazing. If the Democrats don't win this Fall, I may have to open up my little house to any left-leaning Americans that want to come take refuge from the terrifying politics of Romney and co. D:

I haven't actually been following the conventions though- basically all my American poltical news comes from Tumblr and Shakesville, and I`ve been slacking on reading Shakesville recently. XD

I feel you on that front; Tumblr is often where I first hear of important happenings in the news, and then I go to more thorough sources :D what would we do without social media?!

If Romney wins and is as bad as he promises to be, I may need to come hide away in Canada for a while :sad01_anim:

I've been watching for my political science class, and there's been really interesting speeches. I personally hope Romney wins. What I find interesting is that in the big speeches at the end of the night is all attacking Romney and saying what Obama wants to happen, not what Obama has done. I think Clinton talked a little about that, but still.

Ahh that's great; I loved my political science class! That's what turned me on to politics in the first place. May I inquire as to why you prefer Romney over Obama? :O

Also, in every speech I have heard from the Democratic Convention, there have been statistics, anecdotes, and/or facts given several times in regards to what Obama has done for job creation, the student loan situation, and other issues under the same economic and social umbrellas like improving fuel economy in cars and supporting LGBT rights. It's often easy to miss these things when you're set on not hearing them, if you know what I mean ;) Besides, at this point, every party is mudslinging to some degree. In the RNC it was all about how Democrats are degrading family values and Obama wants to take away your hard-earned money and etc. Here, it's just that Romney doesn't know what it's like to be the common man and his platform will not defend your freedoms if you are in a marginalized group. Same intent, different verbiage.

Interestingly enough, I read about a poll on NBC (I think) a couple of days ago that said more than 50% of young voters identify themselves as independent. Who can blame people for not wanting to associate strongly with either party after seeing, as you said, that much of what they do is just try to knock each other down?

I haven't been watching much television, to be honest (so bad, I miss out on a lot!) but I've been catching snippets on the internet here and there. Your mayor did a wonderful speech! And I just love Michelle Obama.

There is actually a website, pretty NSFW due to the curse word involved, highlighting what Obama's managed to achieve. I think people need to bear in mind that he came in behind the damage Bush caused in EIGHT years - a lot of people tend to forget how long that kind of damage takes to turn around. Unfortunately I'm seeing the negativity towards Obama so similar to what happened with Jimmy Carter - and if you take a good look back, Jimmy Carter came into quite a mess himself. I am of the opinion that Jimmy Carter was a great president who didn't really get to realize his potential, if he'd had eight years instead of four, it might have made all the difference for him.

But then, I loved Clinton - and it took him eight years, also. I think it's just the magic number when coming off of the previous streak to get things turned around.

Rebecca, if Romney gets elected, I may take you up on that! o_O I'm pretty nervous about having someone with his beliefs in the White House.

Ahh that's great; I loved my political science class! That's what turned me on to politics in the first place. May I inquire as to why you prefer Romney over Obama? :O

Also, in every speech I have heard from the Democratic Convention, there have been statistics, anecdotes, and/or facts given several times in regards to what Obama has done for job creation, the student loan situation, and other issues under the same economic and social umbrellas like improving fuel economy in cars and supporting LGBT rights. It's often easy to miss these things when you're set on not hearing them, if you know what I mean ;) Besides, at this point, every party is mudslinging to some degree. In the RNC it was all about how Democrats are degrading family values and Obama wants to take away your hard-earned money and etc. Here, it's just that Romney doesn't know what it's like to be the common man and his platform will not defend your freedoms if you are in a marginalized group. Same intent, different verbiage.

Interestingly enough, I read about a poll on NBC (I think) a couple of days ago that said more than 50% of young voters identify themselves as independent. Who can blame people for not wanting to associate strongly with either party after seeing, as you said, that much of what they do is just try to knock each other down?

I guess I'll rewatch the speeches again.

I'm fairly independent, but I want Romney to win because of the job creation issue. I have no doubt that Obama has created jobs. I have not seen any of that by where I live. Instead I have seen tons of buisnesses that have gone bankrupt incluing the one where my dad worked. My sister can't finish her bachelors degree because her job does not pay enough, and she HATES it. My other sister has worked as a transcriber for the police and learned things about people she knows, things that she never wanted to learn. She satyed with it because of the benefits and is now going back to college in the hopes that this new degree could bring a better job. I'm going to be going to a college on the other side of my state, and it's bad there too. I am willing to take the risk with Romney, because I want a better life. I want a good job, to graduate with a good degree. If not, I'm only going to have a basic associates, and I don't just want an associates.

So, now you know. Who knows, maybe I'll be eating my words during the next four years, but I hope not.

I haven't been watching much television, to be honest (so bad, I miss out on a lot!) but I've been catching snippets on the internet here and there. Your mayor did a wonderful speech! And I just love Michelle Obama.

There is actually a website, pretty NSFW due to the curse word involved, highlighting what Obama's managed to achieve. I think people need to bear in mind that he came in behind the damage Bush caused in EIGHT years - a lot of people tend to forget how long that kind of damage takes to turn around. Unfortunately I'm seeing the negativity towards Obama so similar to what happened with Jimmy Carter - and if you take a good look back, Jimmy Carter came into quite a mess himself. I am of the opinion that Jimmy Carter was a great president who didn't really get to realize his potential, if he'd had eight years instead of four, it might have made all the difference for him.

But then, I loved Clinton - and it took him eight years, also. I think it's just the magic number when coming off of the previous streak to get things turned around.

Rebecca, if Romney gets elected, I may take you up on that! o_O I'm pretty nervous about having someone with his beliefs in the White House.

I agree completely! It's truly unfair to judge Obama based on the situation he came into; it becomes an even stickier issue when you consider that Obama (or any president) cannot make whatever decision he want at any time due to having a seriously divided House and Senate. There's a fine line between what he WANTS to do and what he is UNABLE to do because the bi-partisanship is so strong that people seem to refuse to compromise now. Four more years would make a significant difference in his accomplishments, I agree. We can move to Canada with Rebecca if the alternative happens :D

I guess I'll rewatch the speeches again.

I'm fairly independent, but I want Romney to win because of the job creation issue. I have no doubt that Obama has created jobs. I have not seen any of that by where I live. Instead I have seen tons of buisnesses that have gone bankrupt incluing the one where my dad worked. My sister can't finish her bachelors degree because her job does not pay enough, and she HATES it. My other sister has worked as a transcriber for the police and learned things about people she knows, things that she never wanted to learn. She satyed with it because of the benefits and is now going back to college in the hopes that this new degree could bring a better job. I'm going to be going to a college on the other side of my state, and it's bad there too. I am willing to take the risk with Romney, because I want a better life. I want a good job, to graduate with a good degree. If not, I'm only going to have a basic associates, and I don't just want an associates.

So, now you know. Who knows, maybe I'll be eating my words during the next four years, but I hope not.

From my understanding, Romney is more interested in outsourcing jobs than keeping them in America, and that is one of the many issues I have with him that worries me significantly. I'm sorry that the area you live in is still being so harshly affected by the recession :( and I totally understand wanting a better life in these kinds of circumstances and being dissatisfied with the current administration. However, I will simply add that Obama has provided many tax cuts for small businesses in his four years and has consistently provided tax cuts to the middle class as well. To the best of my knowledge, he is also concerned with rising college costs for students and passed a bill just recently to prevent interest rates on loans from rising; I cannot say that Romney has shown the same concern for students. As they are saying in the DNC so frequently, Romney did not grow up as an 'average American'; he was privileged enough to belong to a wealthy family and thus does not realize the reality of paying for school, starting a small business, etc. while maintaining a job (or several) and not having any outside help.

I won't ever say that the Obama administration is perfect or that its policies are flawless, but in the grand scheme of things, I personally place more faith in him to have my back on basically any issue, whether economic or social, than I would in Romney.

I haven't really been following the American Debates (plus, i'm Australian) but Michelle Obama's speech did make the news so i watched selected snippets of it already. mean to chase up on all of it now you've mentioned it :P

Personally i support Obama, but I haven't really read up on Romney's policies. I really think your healthcare system is odd, its very different to ours (and the UK NHS which ours is based off) and while no healthcare system is perfect, it was a shame i thought that he had so much issues with the healthcare reforms. He had difficulty with the Senate, and while i don't follow American politics, i got the impression that much of the policies he tried to put through, several he had issues with getting through uncontested.

I'm a big fan of Michelle Obama and all the work she does :P so thats another reason. Romney has popped up on my news radar bits and pieces, but in terms of impression (i watched his overseas trip coverage) i'm still inclined to support Obama, also in light of the fact i don't agree with the Military's don't ask don't tell policy (another kettle of fish) which I think he's done much to change the rules around it, and highlighting the issues.

I genuinely hope so, too :) this is a dark time for politics in America, I would say.

Here's a link to Julian Castro:

I personally think he's outstanding because he's representing Texas (which is notoriously a red state, meaning very conservative) in a way that actually aligns with my interests and beliefs. I think that's just great to see.

Another highlight was of course First Lady Michelle Obama! Here's a link to hers:

I can't speak for the Republican highlights, as I'm obviously biased the other way, but I'm sure there are some in there somewhere. Hopefully someone else can add that perspective :)

Thanks for the links! Like Rebecca, I live in Canada, so maybe I'll have to open up a safe haven at my house too should the republicans win. :laughingsmiley:

It's very refreshing to see discussion here on economic-type issues. I definitely think that it's something people should focus on more, even though I'm not an expert on it myself. However, the States unfortunately seems to be really hung up on a number of social issues [just an outsider's perspective], and my fear is that these are the issues that might be targeted should the republicans come into power, no matter how sound their other policies might be (although I tend to lean left on most issues, anyway).

And as others have stated, I think Obama is just getting started. He needs more time to fully 'realize his potential' and I'm sure another four years would make a huge difference. :)

Thanks for the links! Like Rebecca, I live in Canada, so maybe I'll have to open up a safe haven at my house too should the republicans win. :laughingsmiley:

It's very refreshing to see discussion here on economic-type issues. I definitely think that it's something people should focus on more, even though I'm not an expert on it myself. However, the States unfortunately seems to be really hung up on a number of social issues [just an outsider's perspective], and my fear is that these are the issues that might be targeted should the republicans come into power, no matter how sound their other policies might be (although I tend to lean left on most issues, anyway).

And as others have stated, I think Obama is just getting started. He needs more time to fully 'realize his potential' and I'm sure another four years would make a huge difference. :)

-high fives- Hello, fellow Canadian. :D

I agree.

While the Republicans may help the economy (I don't really believe it, since they just seem to want to help out their rich buddies and shove the poor further into the ground, but I could be wrong), I think that the social cost of the Republicans getting power is just too great to risk it. The loss of Obamacare (what's it actually called? The Affordable Care Act? My memory these days!), Planned Parenthood (and other abotion providers and women's health organisations), gay marriage, etc... it's terrifying. Even if the Rupublicans could turn the economy right around, I don't think that the loss of these social services and rights for minorities is worth it.

And yeah- there is so little that one can do in four years, especially since the house and senate were divided. If Bush could have eight years to mess the country up, Obama definitely deserves eight to try and fix it!

And can I just say how weird I find it that people actually OPPOSE affordable access to health care? o_O Buzzah?! I can't believe that keeping/getting rid of Obamacare is actually part of their platforms. Ugh. Reason #57872 of why I love Canada.

I haven't really been following the American Debates (plus, i'm Australian) but Michelle Obama's speech did make the news so i watched selected snippets of it already. mean to chase up on all of it now you've mentioned it :P Personally i support Obama, but I haven't really read up on Romney's policies. I really think your healthcare system is odd, its very different to ours (and the UK NHS which ours is based off) and while no healthcare system is perfect, it was a shame i thought that he had so much issues with the healthcare reforms. He had difficulty with the Senate, and while i don't follow American politics, i got the impression that much of the policies he tried to put through, several he had issues with getting through uncontested. I'm a big fan of Michelle Obama and all the work she does :P so thats another reason. Romney has popped up on my news radar bits and pieces, but in terms of impression (i watched his overseas trip coverage) i'm still inclined to support Obama, also in light of the fact i don't agree with the Military's don't ask don't tell policy (another kettle of fish) which I think he's done much to change the rules around it, and highlighting the issues.

Our healthcare system is MESSED UP to put it lightly. You are totally right about Obama, as well; almost everything he does is combatted by a majority of Republicans simply because the bill originated with him. This is America's era of divided government and it's stupidly horrible. I honestly cannot believe how much grief he gets when people fail to realize that the President is not the almighty force at work here! He can't just write a bill and declare IT IS LAW...but that's what people seem to think he has the power to do.

Thanks for the links! Like Rebecca, I live in Canada, so maybe I'll have to open up a safe haven at my house too should the republicans win. :laughingsmiley: It's very refreshing to see discussion here on economic-type issues. I definitely think that it's something people should focus on more, even though I'm not an expert on it myself. However, the States unfortunately seems to be really hung up on a number of social issues [just an outsider's perspective], and my fear is that these are the issues that might be targeted should the republicans come into power, no matter how sound their other policies might be (although I tend to lean left on most issues, anyway). And as others have stated, I think Obama is just getting started. He needs more time to fully 'realize his potential' and I'm sure another four years would make a huge difference. :)

Yaaay another safe place in Canada :D The U.S. is incredibly divided over such basic issues, that is correct...things like abortion, LGBT rights, women's rights, etc. It seems odd to me that we are STILL arguing and debating over things that should have been resolved decades ago by acting like decent human beings that respect all walks of life instead of using the Bible as a validation for denying groups of people their rights. (...and need I remind you that America was founded with the idea of "separation of church and state" in mind?)

-high fives- Hello, fellow Canadian. :D I agree. While the Republicans may help the economy (I don't really believe it, since they just seem to want to help out their rich buddies and shove the poor further into the ground, but I could be wrong), I think that the social cost of the Republicans getting power is just too great to risk it. The loss of Obamacare (what's it actually called? The Affordable Care Act? My memory these days!), Planned Parenthood (and other abotion providers and women's health organisations), gay marriage, etc... it's terrifying. Even if the Rupublicans could turn the economy right around, I don't think that the loss of these social services and rights for minorities is worth it. And yeah- there is so little that one can do in four years, especially since the house and senate were divided. If Bush could have eight years to mess the country up, Obama definitely deserves eight to try and fix it! And can I just say how weird I find it that people actually OPPOSE affordable access to health care? o_O Buzzah?! I can't believe that keeping/getting rid of Obamacare is actually part of their platforms. Ugh. Reason #57872 of why I love Canada.

Yes, it's called the Affordable Care Act :) I agree completely. I would not willingly compromise my freedoms and the freedoms of other people for a more solid economy; I would not favor economic security and prosperity and thus allow oppression and discrimination to happen.

The part that I bolded, I want that tattooed on my forehead or something!! It's like the Bush years never happened in some people's minds; this is all Obama's fault! (Did anyone hear that Bush was apparently not invited to the Republican National Convention? How insulting to the last Republican in the oval office)

To give you non-Americans a better idea of what Romney is like on social issues, I encountered this awesome yet infuriating video yesterday; take a look!

How I wish you folks were here in the US to vote, when the time comes! I'm seriously worried about the outcome - and not just of the election, but what could possibly end up happening to the country further down the road. The implications are huge, honestly. And then, if Romney does get into office, will we end up regressing as a nation? Taking away the rights we've managed to achieve, although we're already further behind than other countries.

Don't even get me started about our atrocious healthcare system. I know a waitress who is totally opposed to any sort of change - and she had to pay completely out of pocket for her whole pregnancy. o_O All thanks to her useless excuse for an insurance policy. But you're opposed to a national healthcare system that would have covered that for you? I'm going to stop before I really get ranting - needless to say, I'm firmly on the side of reform.

Separation of church and state. I've been screaming that for years - the whole thing makes me irate.

How I wish you folks were here in the US to vote, when the time comes! I'm seriously worried about the outcome - and not just of the election, but what could possibly end up happening to the country further down the road. The implications are huge, honestly. And then, if Romney does get into office, will we end up regressing as a nation? Taking away the rights we've managed to achieve, although we're already further behind than other countries.

Don't even get me started about our atrocious healthcare system. I know a waitress who is totally opposed to any sort of change - and she had to pay completely out of pocket for her whole pregnancy. o_O All thanks to her useless excuse for an insurance policy. But you're opposed to a national healthcare system that would have covered that for you? I'm going to stop before I really get ranting - needless to say, I'm firmly on the side of reform.

Separation of church and state. I've been screaming that for years - the whole thing makes me irate.

I am not really sure who should win this year, because I am late on the debates, but it seems like Romney is going to win because many people agree that if change is needed, a new president is needed, which does not have to be true.

Our healthcare system is MESSED UP to put it lightly. You are totally right about Obama, as well; almost everything he does is combatted by a majority of Republicans simply because the bill originated with him. This is America's era of divided government and it's stupidly horrible. I honestly cannot believe how much grief he gets when people fail to realize that the President is not the almighty force at work here! He can't just write a bill and declare IT IS LAW...but that's what people seem to think he has the power to do.

Yaaay another safe place in Canada :D The U.S. is incredibly divided over such basic issues, that is correct...things like abortion, LGBT rights, women's rights, etc. It seems odd to me that we are STILL arguing and debating over things that should have been resolved decades ago by acting like decent human beings that respect all walks of life instead of using the Bible as a validation for denying groups of people their rights. (...and need I remind you that America was founded with the idea of "separation of church and state" in mind?)

Yes, it's called the Affordable Care Act :) I agree completely. I would not willingly compromise my freedoms and the freedoms of other people for a more solid economy; I would not favor economic security and prosperity and thus allow oppression and discrimination to happen.

The part that I bolded, I want that tattooed on my forehead or something!! It's like the Bush years never happened in some people's minds; this is all Obama's fault! (Did anyone hear that Bush was apparently not invited to the Republican National Convention? How insulting to the last Republican in the oval office)

To give you non-Americans a better idea of what Romney is like on social issues, I encountered this awesome yet infuriating video yesterday; take a look!

Bolded bit, YES. I don't want to ever have economic security based on other people losing their basic rights. It's just sickening. (I don't want to envoke Godwin's Law, but I would like to poke inter-war Germany.)

Awww, Bush wasn't invited? Ouch. :( I guess they're afraid of what he may say? Even with someone writing his speeches for him, he's a bit of an embarassment.

According to Google, right after the speeches last night there was a MASSIVE spike in people googling how to register how to vote. So I'm hoping that means that people will be showing up- which is what we really need! Basically all people of colour will be voting for Obama, as will a large percentage of women (basically all the ones that care that without the Affordable Care Act they are listed as having a pre-existing condition for most insurance companies because they're WOMEN. Anger!)

But wow, that server you know! It's absolutely incredible. o_O I just don't get it!

Ugh, I hate the national conventions. Most of the speeches are the same gibberish over and over and over again. It's pretty much American Idol: Politics. I work in politics. I'm glad it is finally kind of over. I was actually having nightmares that revolved around people yelling the Republican slogans.

If you only listen to one speech, I'd listen to Bill Clinton's, which was the best of all of them. Michelle Obama and Ann Romney both did good jobs. Joe Biden's was rough, but that was pretty much to be expected. He had content and delivery, when a lot of speakers had neither. I'm pretty much completely infuriated by Ryan's speech, and I'm pretty disgusted by most people's reactions to it. It's really starting to look like a politician can openly lie during a major speech, and the American people will just ignore the press when they try to point it out. Romney and Obama both dropped the ball. I didn't much care for President Obama's speech, but I'm not too surprised he didn't talk policy when Romney didn't. Julian Castro was really great. I like him a lot, so I was glad to see that he made such good use of the opportunity.

Of the Democrats, I'd add John Kerry, Cecile Richards, Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, and Barbara Mikulski. If you're really enjoying yourself, you can add Jennifer Granholm and Tammy Duckworth. The ones that stand out as being bad are Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Jack Markell, and Martin O'Malley.

My Republican recommendations are Condi Rice, Marco Rubio, Cathy McMorris Rogers, Susana Martinez, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz. I'm not a Republican, but I think most Republicans agree that they were the best. The worst were Rick Santorum, Tim Pawlenty, and Mike Huckabee. Chris Christi did a terrible keynote speech. Clint Eastwood had moments where he was good (most of the time it was just surreal). He's a lot funnier than I would have expected, but I think I might just be seeing it more positively after seeing his speech infinity times. So, so glad I don't have to watch these speeches anymore.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that gets outrageously frustrated with people's odd choices sometimes :D like that waitress...to have your pregnancy costs covered?! Why not??? I don't recall ever hearing a rational, solid reason for being against the health care reform except some people are in the train of thought of, "I don't ever get sick; I don't want to pay for other people's expenses." But if you DID get sick...you'd be covered! *head desk*

I am not really sure who should win this year, because I am late on the debates, but it seems like Romney is going to win because many people agree that if change is needed, a new president is needed, which does not have to be true.

I really hope that isn't true in the minds of most people :( all I can think of when looking at the Republican platform is regression...

Bolded bit, YES. I don't want to ever have economic security based on other people losing their basic rights. It's just sickening. (I don't want to envoke Godwin's Law, but I would like to poke inter-war Germany.)

Awww, Bush wasn't invited? Ouch. :( I guess they're afraid of what he may say? Even with someone writing his speeches for him, he's a bit of an embarassment.

According to Google, right after the speeches last night there was a MASSIVE spike in people googling how to register how to vote. So I'm hoping that means that people will be showing up- which is what we really need! Basically all people of colour will be voting for Obama, as will a large percentage of women (basically all the ones that care that without the Affordable Care Act they are listed as having a pre-existing condition for most insurance companies because they're WOMEN. Anger!)

But wow, that server you know! It's absolutely incredible. o_O I just don't get it!

Ahh really?! I hope that's true! (and hopefully for being WITH Obama, not against him :D ) However, whenever I get excited thinking that Obama *probably* has enough people to vote him into office again, there's the nasty issue of the electoral college...and that even if enough people DO vote a majority for Obama, he could still "lose." *shiver*

Ugh, I hate the national conventions. Most of the speeches are the same gibberish over and over and over again. It's pretty much American Idol: Politics. I work in politics. I'm glad it is finally kind of over. I was actually having nightmares that revolved around people yelling the Republican slogans.

If you only listen to one speech, I'd listen to Bill Clinton's, which was the best of all of them. Michelle Obama and Ann Romney both did good jobs. Joe Biden's was rough, but that was pretty much to be expected. He had content and delivery, when a lot of speakers had neither. I'm pretty much completely infuriated by Ryan's speech, and I'm pretty disgusted by most people's reactions to it. It's really starting to look like a politician can openly lie during a major speech, and the American people will just ignore the press when they try to point it out. Romney and Obama both dropped the ball. I didn't much care for President Obama's speech, but I'm not too surprised he didn't talk policy when Romney didn't. Julian Castro was really great. I like him a lot, so I was glad to see that he made such good use of the opportunity.

Of the Democrats, I'd add John Kerry, Cecile Richards, Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, and Barbara Mikulski. If you're really enjoying yourself, you can add Jennifer Granholm and Tammy Duckworth. The ones that stand out as being bad are Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Jack Markell, and Martin O'Malley.

My Republican recommendations are Condi Rice, Marco Rubio, Cathy McMorris Rogers, Susana Martinez, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz. I'm not a Republican, but I think most Republicans agree that they were the best. The worst were Rick Santorum, Tim Pawlenty, and Mike Huckabee. Chris Christi did a terrible keynote speech. Clint Eastwood had moments where he was good (most of the time it was just surreal). He's a lot funnier than I would have expected, but I think I might just be seeing it more positively after seeing his speech infinity times. So, so glad I don't have to watch these speeches anymore.

Ooh someone in politics! Yay new perspective! I agree about Clinton's speech. I saw the clip on Jon Stewart's show saying that his speech had more figures and data about the Republican plans/platform in his speech than the Republicans had in their own speeches... o_O how interesting. Yeah, I was expecting more from Obama's speech, because I usually love hearing him talk and love his eloquence, but this time it was hard to stay focused and be interested. I think we can all say we're happy the conventions are over though; now I don't have to fear turning on my television again :laughingsmiley:

No, I haven't watched the conventions. I try to avoid stuff about politics. There was a point last year where I got a bit too into reading the news, and I became depressed for a long time. But I do still keep informed without getting too into it. Despite this, I've been registered to vote since I turned 18, because I love and care about the US and want to do anything to help it realize its potential. :) I'm in college now, though, so I have to vote absentee. Will have to get a move on getting the absentee ballot soon enough.

I'm with a lot of you. I'm definitely voting for Obama. I don't think he's the problem; it's the bipartisan Congress and the Bush administration that's to blame. I think a lot of people are disillusioned with him because Americans like their presidents like they like their cowboys. :P They were expecting him to come in, fix everything in four years, be humble and not run for a second term, and ride off into the sunset after four years. Yet something like that is unrealistic, especially after the damage Bush caused. Plus, Obama is the face of the government, and blaming him for everything is the easiest thing to do. It's like when you blame the manager of your favorite baseball team when they're in a slump.

Also, I don't like Romney. He's just another big businessman who's more interested in helping out his rich buddies than helping the country. He's good with numbers, but that's all he is. Then again, the only way I would have even considered voting for the Republican side is if Ron Paul got the Republican nomination, which obviously had zero chance of happening. I'm not too worried about Romney winning, though. I'm fairly confident Obama will get re-elected.

And the US has ALWAYS been a bit behind on social issues, even when it was at its peak of greatness. I think it's partly because the US is traditionally a center-right country, though. I don't know. :/ Have Canada and Australia always been very liberal? Just curious.

Idriya, at the peak of campaign season last year before the primaries, I wasn't worried about Obama losing AT ALL either...mainly because of all of the insane, completely out of touch people the Republicans were managing to scrounge up o_O At that point, I wasn't threatened at all! I was like, "There's no way anyone will vote for these people; they are literally the most incredulous people I've ever heard speak. Even right-winged people must see that something is amiss here." But now...I am not so sure :( however, maybe that is just because I live in a red state and hear people bashing Obama all the time. Who knows? I hope you're right though! Definitely get that absentee ballot so we can have one more vote for Obama :P

I definitely agree about the bi-partisan Congress and Bush's past issues being the culprits here. I know for a fact that people in Texas expected Obama to be just like that... :P go in, make the world's most perfect bill to cure the recession and give everyone a surplus of spending money, reform healthcare but "not make the U.S. an evil socialist nation like EUROPE," and then leave. People are just ignorant to the political process, I guess?

Like when Santorum (before the primaries) claimed when he got into office he would declare a law that made gay marriage illegal! I had to wonder if he realized that the President couldn't just haphazardly make laws...they have to be approved in both houses and all of that, etc. For that reason, I now think every U.S. politician should have to pass a test on the Constitution and the foundations of American government before they can be accepted as a candidate for anything :shiftyeyes_anim: if you aren't familiar with the phrase, "separation of church and state," and don't know the process by which a bill gets turned into law, GET OFF OF MY BALLOT.

Oh, I'm planning on getting that absentee ballot. :) I live in Michigan btw, and even though Michigan's a blue state (I think), let's not forget that Romney was born in Detroit. There probably will be people voting for him to have a Michigan-born president. I just hope that doesn't sway too many people, although I don't think it will, considering half the population lives in the metro Detroit area, and I'm sure two of the three big metro Detroit counties (including the one with Detroit in it) will mostly vote for Obama. Our population is significantly smaller than Texas, though.

lol Recessions don't work like that and wouldn't work like that, even if Romney got elected, and Europe isn't even socialist, nor is it a country. :P Comparing one (albeit very large and very diverse) country to an entire continent is stupid, and I hate it when people do that. As for the healthcare... I like how the French do it. xD I think the US should come up with a healthcare system based on the French system, but not flat out copy their system. Copying Europe never got us anywhere.

Just knowing what the Constitution says means nothing if they don't actually practice what it says. ;)

And the US has ALWAYS been a bit behind on social issues, even when it was at its peak of greatness. I think it's partly because the US is traditionally a center-right country, though. I don't know. :/ Have Canada and Australia always been very liberal? Just curious.

Canada's always been a bit socialist, but not overly so (well, not by my standards at least. ;)) I remember reading somewhere that Canada's conservatives are still more left wing than the US' democrats- I don't know how accurate that is, but it kind of makes me lolsob. We've had universal health care for aggggges though, and almost 90% of Canadians are in favour of keeping it.

Oh, interesting stats, btw!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada#Comparison_to_other_countries

This only compares health care in the G8 countries, buuuuuut:

The US has the lowest life expectancy, the highest infant mortality rate, and they spend MORE per capita on health care, but cover the least (since they are the only industrialised country without universal health care). Interesting stuff!

Idriya, at the peak of campaign season last year before the primaries, I wasn't worried about Obama losing AT ALL either...mainly because of all of the insane, completely out of touch people the Republicans were managing to scrounge up o_O At that point, I wasn't threatened at all! I was like, "There's no way anyone will vote for these people; they are literally the most incredulous people I've ever heard speak. Even right-winged people must see that something is amiss here." But now...I am not so sure :( however, maybe that is just because I live in a red state and hear people bashing Obama all the time. Who knows? I hope you're right though! Definitely get that absentee ballot so we can have one more vote for Obama :P

I definitely agree about the bi-partisan Congress and Bush's past issues being the culprits here. I know for a fact that people in Texas expected Obama to be just like that... :P go in, make the world's most perfect bill to cure the recession and give everyone a surplus of spending money, reform healthcare but "not make the U.S. an evil socialist nation like EUROPE," and then leave. People are just ignorant to the political process, I guess?

Like when Santorum (before the primaries) claimed when he got into office he would declare a law that made gay marriage illegal! I had to wonder if he realized that the President couldn't just haphazardly make laws...they have to be approved in both houses and all of that, etc. For that reason, I now think every U.S. politician should have to pass a test on the Constitution and the foundations of American government before they can be accepted as a candidate for anything :shiftyeyes_anim: if you aren't familiar with the phrase, "separation of church and state," and don't know the process by which a bill gets turned into law, GET OFF OF MY BALLOT.

I think that is a GREAT IDEA. Seriously, it makes me wonder if the people running for president even know how politics work!

Ahh really?! I hope that's true! (and hopefully for being WITH Obama, not against him :D ) However, whenever I get excited thinking that Obama *probably* has enough people to vote him into office again, there's the nasty issue of the electoral college...and that even if enough people DO vote a majority for Obama, he could still "lose." *shiver*

Well, they tweeted it, so I hope it's true, LOL! And I imagine it's for him. :)

Personally, I think Obama will get in with more than a small majority, so it should be okay!

Canada's always been a bit socialist, but not overly so (well, not by my standards at least. ;)) I remember reading somewhere that Canada's conservatives are still more left wing than the US' democrats- I don't know how accurate that is, but it kind of makes me lolsob. We've had universal health care for aggggges though, and almost 90% of Canadians are in favour of keeping it.

Oh, interesting stats, btw!

http://en.wikipedia....other_countries

This only compares health care in the G8 countries, buuuuuut:

The US has the lowest life expectancy, the highest infant mortality rate, and they spend MORE per capita on health care, but cover the least (since they are the only industrialised country without universal health care). Interesting stuff!

Wow..."the only industrialised country without universal health care" says a lot about us :( That's why whenever I hear a politician say that they don't want the U.S. to become "like Europe," I always wonder what's so bad about being like a European nation? Even with just those stats alone, one can see that we are majorly behind in healthcare, but the same holds true for education and other crucial issues...maybe I will just move to Canada :P

Wow..."the only industrialised country without universal health care" says a lot about us :( That's why whenever I hear a politician say that they don't want the U.S. to become "like Europe," I always wonder what's so bad about being like a European nation? Even with just those stats alone, one can see that we are majorly behind in healthcare, but the same holds true for education and other crucial issues...maybe I will just move to Canada :P

Hahaha, well, I'm sure we would be happy to have you! But yeah, the US is just weird about their healthcare- I just don't get it!