Nay for spiders!

andaraen

My husband, as a member of the military, is assigned a "permanent" duty station. Because he was the top of his class for three classes, he was given a bit more freedom. More specifically, he was allowed to request to be assigned to any naval station in the continental US. He picked Florida. He got it too.

Now, I don't dislike Florida. Even the humidity isn't so bad, considering I come from a place where humidity is just a little strange (Colorado). What I can't get used to is the bugs and spiders! They live in Colorado too, but not this many! Our back porch turns into a spider nest as soon as the sun goes down!

I've gotten to the point that every little tickle is a spider and I'm seconds away from death. x.x

D: Ugh, I feel for you! I am absolutely terrified of spiders- tiny ones send me running for my girlfriend to save me.

Ugh, I HATE spiders! I live in North Carolina and they're bad here too - they're everywhere. I want to move back up north, I swear! The humidity is not so bad in Florida compared to here, so that's good! At least you have the two oceans surrounding you, I think that helps. But then, you also have to face those bad storms too! I feel for you. :(

D: Ugh, I feel for you! I am absolutely terrified of spiders- tiny ones send me running for my girlfriend to save me.

I can manage disposing of the bodies, but I have to get my hubby to kill them first. x3

The humidity is not so bad in Florida compared to here, so that's good!

I've been to North Carolina and the humidity was awful. x.x

I knew people have a hard time transitioning from low to high altitude, so I figured it'd be the opposite if you move from high to low altitude. Boy, was I ever wrong. =(

:laughingsmiley: This totally sounds like a reverse of my situation. I'm from Colorado (And live here now) and my husband is from Florida.

When we took a vacation down there to stay with his family, I remember a spider in the living room. I tried my usual, put a cup over it and trap it to take outside trick, (I hate spiders and all bugs, and can't handle the squish) and it was quite disturbing when the spider was actually large enough to move the cup along the floor. o_O

That's one of the main reasons I hate winter in Colorado, the bugs, especially spiders, start coming inside more often.

I can manage disposing of the bodies, but I have to get my hubby to kill them first. x3

Wow, you are way braver than me! LOL. I am such a chicken when it comes to spiders. At the VERY best, I can sometimes put a cup over it (if I don't have any other choice- if my girlfriend isn't home or is asleep, etc), but I can't do the killing (unless it's with a vacuum, lol) or the disposing.

When we took a vacation down there to stay with his family, I remember a spider in the living room. I tried my usual, put a cup over it and trap it to take outside trick, (I hate spiders and all bugs, and can't handle the squish) and it was quite disturbing when the spider was actually large enough to move the cup along the floor. o_O

Oh my god. That is the stuff of nightmares. DDDD:

That just sent a shiver down my spine. Ech :sick01:

I have never been to Florida and now I have a good reason not to! Hopefully in time you'll...get used to them? Learn to ignore them? I dunno, there isn't a good solution here really :laughingsmiley: best of luck!

UGH SPIDERS. I'd hate to live in a place where they get any bigger or more prolific than they do here. I can handle almost any creature except spiders. If there's one in our house I usually get someone else to take care of it, lol.

They are fascinating though, and really interesting to watch (outdoors only and at a safe distance from me). :P

I've been to North Carolina and the humidity was awful. x.x

I knew people have a hard time transitioning from low to high altitude, so I figured it'd be the opposite if you move from high to low altitude. Boy, was I ever wrong. =(

Yes, I think that's the worst - I've spent a lot of time out west, and the heat doesn't bother me half as bad as it does here, I know it's the humidity that makes it unbearable.

:laughingsmiley: This totally sounds like a reverse of my situation. I'm from Colorado (And live here now) and my husband is from Florida.

That's one of the main reasons I hate winter in Colorado, the bugs, especially spiders, start coming inside more often.

Ewww. EW!!! Oh gosh, hello arachnophobia. Ugh. I've got shivers everywhere picturing that cup moving!

I feel like such a weirdo :rolleyes_anim: , cause I'm not afraid of spiders at all. Well, mostly.

I think they're cool and pretty harmless, really, only a small percentage of them have actually dangerous venom. So I try not to kill them at all.

Maybe it's beacuse I had a pet spider once, and honestly, my cat now is more dangerous than her, with all the scratching and all.

But I gues that's pretty normal for me, cause I don't dislike bugs generally. I think bees and caterpillars are the cutest, although I really dislike wasps (they're just so mean :sick02: )

I don't particularly have problems with spiders, but I don't think I could keep my calm with too many around :sick02: Ordinarily, I like spiders, because they trap and eat flying insects. I'm terrified of flying insects, so that's why I consider spiders my friends. Unless they're too huge and threatening.

Meep! Oh goodness, Cherry, that was nasty. Yes, don't google if you have arachnophobia, for sure - it will give you nightmares! I don't myself mind all bugs, it's mostly spiders and things with stingers. Bumblebees really don't bother me even there.

I know, in my head, trying to be logical, that spiders are a part of the natural food chain and that they eat a lot of nasty bugs like mosquitos, so I do try to keep that in mind and don't try to squish them, but sometimes they do catch me off guard.