I always get nervous for the dumbest things.

Haliaetus

So a couple of weeks ago I had to get my first root canal, which I was incredibly nervous for, and looking back at it now I don't know why I was. The hardest part about it, like I had been told by several people, was holding my mouth open for two consecutive hours. I didn't feel a thing, which was also what I was afraid of. Now on this upcoming Friday, I have to get my wisdom teeth removed, and for some reason I seem to be way more nervous about this than I had been for my root canal. Which doesn't really make sense, because I had to be awake for my root canal (I opted to get an IV for my wisdom teeth so I can be asleep for it). But either way, for whatever reason, I'm freaked out and dreading the days leading up to Friday morning. I'm really afraid of dental work, although I couldn't exactly tell you why, and even though I know I'll be asleep for this procedure, I can't stop being nervous. I think my fear may also have been provoked by stories I've been told by friends, and pictures that they've posted of their mouths bleeding after the procedure (which I do not want to deal with, but is seeming inevitable). Have any of you gotten your wisdom teeth removed? What was it like? I just need to know what this will be like a little more, and hopefully I'll be a little less nervous about the actual procedure come Friday.

Awww, don't worry- fear about dental surgery is so common! And not silly at all. :)

I had one of my wisdom teeth removed, and it didn't go great. That's mainly because the tooth was impacted, though, and came in at an angle, so it was pushing in on the molar next to it. It broke when they tried to take it out (the dentist said that this happened because of the how stuck it was in there, and the position it was lying it, and very rarely happens). After the actual extraction though, everything went well. I was in quite a bit of pain, but at the time I hadn't learned how to take pills, so I had absolutely no pain medication. It healed up fine, no infections or anything.

So, yours will probably go a lot better than mine did. :) I hope your healing goes quickly, and without any incident!

Awww, don't worry- fear about dental surgery is so common! And not silly at all. :)

I had one of my wisdom teeth removed, and it didn't go great. That's mainly because the tooth was impacted, though, and came in at an angle, so it was pushing in on the molar next to it. It broke when they tried to take it out (the dentist said that this happened because of the how stuck it was in there, and the position it was lying it, and very rarely happens). After the actual extraction though, everything went well. I was in quite a bit of pain, but at the time I hadn't learned how to take pills, so I had absolutely no pain medication. It healed up fine, no infections or anything.

So, yours will probably go a lot better than mine did. :) I hope your healing goes quickly, and without any incident!

Oh no! I'm sorry your experience was like that. But thank you, I hope so too. I just can't wait for it to be all over and done with. :P

Oh no! I'm sorry your experience was like that. But thank you, I hope so too. I just can't wait for it to be all over and done with. :P

Yeah, it did rather suck at the time. :P Hahah. I know what you mean! But it'll be done before you know it. :)

I had mine removed when I was 11-12. I was totally freaked out about getting mine out as well. (I easily get nervous and panic.) I had a bad experience personally, but that was due to my issues with anesthesia. They had a hard time waking me, and it made me super sick afterwards, as it usually does.

The pain/healing/etc, wasn't bad. They healed perfectly fine, right on schedule. All of my issues were connected with the anesthesia. Everyone else I've known that had them removed, were freaked out about it, but afterwards, had no issues.

The blood afterwards is normal. (The person working at the McDonald's drive-thru was lucky enough to witness that with my sister, because the anesthesia made her so happy she was smiling at everyone.) But as long as you follow the directions for cleaning and everything afterwards, you really shouldn't have any problems.

I recommend getting some food afterwards that will make you feel better, but easy to eat like pudding or something. My mom got my sister and I milkshakes after ours. I was too sick to eat them for awhile, but they made things a lot better for my sister.

I had mine removed when I was 11-12. I was totally freaked out about getting mine out as well. (I easily get nervous and panic.) I had a bad experience personally, but that was due to my issues with anesthesia. They had a hard time waking me, and it made me super sick afterwards, as it usually does.

The pain/healing/etc, wasn't bad. They healed perfectly fine, right on schedule. All of my issues were connected with the anesthesia. Everyone else I've known that had them removed, were freaked out about it, but afterwards, had no issues.

The blood afterwards is normal. (The person working at the McDonald's drive-thru was lucky enough to witness that with my sister, because the anesthesia made her so happy she was smiling at everyone.) But as long as you follow the directions for cleaning and everything afterwards, you really shouldn't have any problems.

I recommend getting some food afterwards that will make you feel better, but easy to eat like pudding or something. My mom got my sister and I milkshakes after ours. I was too sick to eat them for awhile, but they made things a lot better for my sister.

Mmm, puddings, yes! Also, if there is a lot of swelling, popsicles are wonderful. :)

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've been told for years by my dentist that I have no wisdom teeth which is incredibly rare. A couple days ago, I learned that for years he was telling me that I have no wisdom teeth on my right side, and I simply misheard him. I don't know if they need to come out yet, but I've never had a cavity or any other teeth issues.

Anyways... my friends have gone through wisdom teeth removal. My best friend had four impacted wisdom teeth. She had a terrible experience with the anesthesia, and she couldn't eat solid foods for a month.

My other friend was eating solid foods two hours after his wisdom teeth removal. I'm not sure if that was a good decision, but it seems like he was alright with the experience.

Good luck! After a root canal, you will be FINE.

Yeah, I was kind of nervous about the anesthesia, too, but I've had it plenty of times for other surgeries so I don't see why I should be nervous for that either, ha. Pudding sounds like a good idea, I'll make sure to get some!

Mmm, puddings, yes! Also, if there is a lot of swelling, popsicles are wonderful. :)

I'll put popsicles on the list, I tend to swell a lot. :P

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've been told for years by my dentist that I have no wisdom teeth which is incredibly rare. A couple days ago, I learned that for years he was telling me that I have no wisdom teeth on my right side, and I simply misheard him. I don't know if they need to come out yet, but I've never had a cavity or any other teeth issues.

Anyways... my friends have gone through wisdom teeth removal. My best friend had four impacted wisdom teeth. She had a terrible experience with the anesthesia, and she couldn't eat solid foods for a month.

My other friend was eating solid foods two hours after his wisdom teeth removal. I'm not sure if that was a good decision, but it seems like he was alright with the experience.

Good luck! After a root canal, you will be FINE.

Oh wow. Well I hope you don't have to get them out. :P But thanks! All of you are making me feel a bit better about this. :)

I'd be nervous about getting a root canal too! I get really nervous about certain things too sometimes, like public speaking. And then when it's over I'm like that wasn't that bad.

That's how I always am, too. I'm like, "Oh, I could do that again". But I still get nervous for everything despite knowing it probably won't be as bad as I'm imagining it to be. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've had several wisdom teeth pulled out, and I've had some very different experiences. The first one was awful, because the roots were sort of tangled, so it wasn't completely straight forward to remove and it took longer to heal afterwards. Plus I was a smoker back then, so that influenced the pain/healing negatively too. The next one was a breeze: It took practically no time to pull out and there was virtually no pain afterwards, And after I quit smoking, having teeth pulled was no big deal. It sounds like I've had a ton of teeth pulled, haha, but I've only had like 4 removed.