Ouch *_*

morgennaraene

So, since I've had the surgery on my neck, I've still been having a lot of pain in the back of my head, down my neck and into my shoulders causing wanna-gouge-my-eyes-out-with-a-spoon type headaches.. Medical term is occipital neuralgia, fancy way of saying nerve pain in the back of my head.. Today I had a nerve block done, which I thought was going to be just one needle behind my ear.. Nope.. Since I have it on both sides, it was 2 needles behind each ear; first shot is a local anesthetic, second is the cortisone (cortico-steroid used to reduce inflammation) and it hurts like hell :( I guess I shoulda known what was coming when my surgeon put his hand on the back of my head and sorta pushed down to hold me in place and the nurse had both hands on my shoulders pushing down.. If any of you have seen the chest waxing scene from the 40 Year Old Virgin, you've got a pretty good idea what was coming out of my mouth while they were doing it :P Fortunately it was over pretty quick, they only had to keep me for about 1/2 hour after and I'm now home resting somewhat comfortably, although it feels really weird right now cause the entire back of my head is completely numb.. Hopefully this gives some relief from the pain while my nerves take the time they need to repair themselves, and then it should be fine; I'm praying to God that I never have to have this done again though, DEFINETLY NOT a "comfortable" procedure o_0

Ouch!

I know neck pain is a bummer, my mom had a cadaverbone replaced with some dead guy's and she was in so much pain and was absolutely miserable.

I hope you feel better.

Ouch!

I know neck pain is a bummer, my mom had a cadaverbone replaced with some dead guy's and she was in so much pain and was absolutely miserable.

I hope you feel better.

I have 2 fusions in my neck, both bone grafts done with cadaver.. The first one they just kind of let me know AFTER the surgery that they'd used a cadaver bone graft, the second time they gave me the option to use a graft from my hip and I said 'no way'. My roomie with the first surgery had the graft taken from her hip and was in so much pain it took 4 nurses to help her to the bathroom when she had to go and when I saw at our 6 week follow-up appt., she still could barely walk.. It IS risky to go with a donor graft though, turns out there were 23 people in my area that received contaminated bone fragments just before I had mine done; fortunately mine came from a different lot *whew*.. Overall though, any kind of spinal surgery is really painful because it basically supports your whole body; trying to sleep while in that brace was the worst XP.

I have 2 fusions in my neck, both bone grafts done with cadaver.. The first one they just kind of let me know AFTER the surgery that they'd used a cadaver bone graft, the second time they gave me the option to use a graft from my hip and I said 'no way'. My roomie with the first surgery had the graft taken from her hip and was in so much pain it took 4 nurses to help her to the bathroom when she had to go and when I saw at our 6 week follow-up appt., she still could barely walk.. It IS risky to go with a donor graft though, turns out there were 23 people in my area that received contaminated bone fragments just before I had mine done; fortunately mine came from a different lot *whew*.. Overall though, any kind of spinal surgery is really painful because it basically supports your whole body; trying to sleep while in that brace was the worst XP.

My mother hated, and I mean HATED that brace, she also has a habit to turning onto her side while she sleeps, so when she would wake up she would scream in pain 3 of our family members would have to help her get up.

The doctor was worried that her body wouldn't accept the donor's bone.

And when she went back for a follow-up appointment the nurse asked

"Is this your first or second one?"

and my mom was like

"What do you mean?"

and the nurse said

"Most people have to have the surgery twice because the bone doesn't fuse right"

luckily, she didn't have to have a second surgery, but that about broke her heart to hear that because she was just starting to feel better.

The last place I'd ever want to have surgery on is my spine.

Her spine was hurt in a car accident, and she said it was worth it, because after her lawsuit settlement, she can finally buy the home of her dreams and retire.

So a few months of pain put aside, there's just relaxation for her.

Yeah, I burned both of mine after, hated those things with a passion!!! I had to have the second surgery because I had another herniation, I had no problems with the fusions, and honestly I've haven't heard too many stories about the graft not taking, and I worked with spinal patients for 3 years.. The issue I WAS warned about is the fusion itself causing MORE herniation's, because by removing the disc (or 'cushion' if you will) from between the vertebrae and then fusing it solid with the graft and plate, you lose all shock absorption at that level and place more stress on the disc's above and below..

They already knew I had a secondary herniation when they did the first surgery, but it wasn't bad enough at the time for them to do anything about it. Within 3 years it was at the point of needing surgery, but I did decompression treatments at my work (thank God I got them for free, cause they cost a fortune) and it reduced the herniation enough that I got another 3 years before they finally did have to go back in.. Now though, I still have some pain and I get a lot of cracking and stiffness in my neck because the fusions are forcing my C-Spine straight when there is actually supposed to be a bit of a curve to it. Hence why I had the nerve blocks done today, to try and minimize the pain.. I also have some permanent nerve damage to my right hand, index finger and thumb area is completely numb, and I still get flashes of pain once in a while in my hand.. I've learned to pay more attention to what I'm doing or holding, otherwise I drop things all the time and I've burned and cut myself pretty bad too and not realized it until I smell it or see the blood. Even typing can be hard for me sometimes, I HAVE to look at the keys cause I can't tell if I'm hitting them :P

The spine is a crazy instrument and it's the one part of your body you REALLY don't want to mess up cause it controls everything else.. As it is, I'm lucky I can still wipe my own behind much less breathe on my own, and I thank God every time I "read my morning paper" that I don't have to have someone help me do it ;)

It's a little better today, but the back of my head is VERY tender, like it's badly bruised.. I couldn't even lay on my back last night cause even the pressure of the pillow to the back of my head was painful :S Not to mention that the area they did the injections is a very sensitive pressure point and man is it sensitive today, even have to be careful how I turn my head otherwise it really hurts.. But I already feel a difference in the kind of pain I was having; the headache is gone and the pain down the side of my neck and into my shoulder is gone which is a HUGE relief, no more wanting to gouge my eye out with a spoon :P