A Mom Needs Advice

Mouseykins

Hi there, so I'm hoping one of you TDN members who happen to be moms can help me out.

I have a 9 month old little girl and this weekend we're going to visit her grandparents.

At their place they have a play yard for her to sleep in. My MIL has been adding some soft bedding to make it more comfortable for baby. Yes I know of the dangers and I'm concerned. I'm not looking for a Don't do this and Never do that. I already know of all these dangers and just thinking about her sleeping in there is unnerving.

So what I'm asking of you moms is what did you use for travelling with your baby that was portable, comfortable and safe?

I'm looking for something that has a good support for her but that's also not like she's sleeping on the floor.

Any ideas?

Sorry I'm a bit confused, but are you asking about the play pen, transport safety or both?

If it's the playpen, make sure there's nothing she can choke on or get stuck in, so something like a yoga mat would be good to cover the ground with.

For transport, I suggest you get her a baby seat specifically designed for children her age/size.

/I'm not a mother, but I have some experience with family friends' babies.

No I'm not asking about the safety aspect of it I already know that :)

I'm basically looking for product ideas :D

Slight language barrier there first time i read your post, cos a play yard is out in the back garden with swings and a sand-pit and my advice was-Don't go :laughingsmiley: I used a travel cot for my 2, they are compact and portable and made of a soft mesh fabric with a solid base that is more like a regular cot. They also usually have quite high side so not too much danger of escaping/falling out. Something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=travel+cot&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADFA_enGB421&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14249692915039856995&sa=X&ei=tV23T_WmGMTBhAefxKnaCA&ved=0COMBEPMCMAA#

Slight language barrier there first time i read your post, cos a play yard is out in the back garden with swings and a sand-pit and my advice was-Don't go :laughingsmiley: I used a travel cot for my 2, they are compact and portable and made of a soft mesh fabric with a solid base that is more like a regular cot. They also usually have quite high side so not too much danger of escaping/falling out. Something like this

http://www.google.co...ed=0COMBEPMCMAA#

My main concern is what is the mattress like? Is it like what you would have in their crib?

I'm tempted to just buy a porta crib and if they don't like it then too bad.

Hello there. I am a mother of a now 2 year old. Whenever we went anywhere to stay we brought our portable playpen/crib. This is the one we used. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Pack-n-Play-Playard-Priscilla/15579365 It can be a bassinet for younger babies or be a regular playpen.

To be honest babies are very comfortable on the padding provided from the Mat in the bottom of the pen though if you really don't think so then a thickish blanket I's fine for her age. If she was younger then yeah I'd recomend not putting a blanket but don't worry so much ^_^ your girl is perfectly comfortable On a blanket in the play yard but I would get a playpen for her. They are very useful and comfortable for the little ones and even at 2 I use it for my daughter when we go to her grandparents for her to sleep in because she'll get up before us and get into everything lol.

My main concern is what is the mattress like? Is it like what you would have in their crib?

I'm tempted to just buy a porta crib and if they don't like it then too bad.

Travel cots tend not to have a matress, the base is made of flexible fabric and because it's off the ground it has a lot of give so it is as comfy as a matress. i used to put a folded blanket in the bottom for extra snuggle. Babies don't have the same comfort requirements as grown ups, and can sleep in bizarre places, so your main concern is that she is safe and warm, other than that i would go with what you are happy with and don't mind what the MIL thinks.