Hunger Games. <3

LoveLaughSmiles

Anyone seen it? I did and I liked it. I was about to cry when Rue died.

I've read the books, the first one was amazing, the others got progressively worse. The third book made me so frustrated that I posted a foot long rant about it in my review blog. I heard that the movie isn't as good as the book, but since the first book was really good, I might watch it anyways. If the movies continue being worse than the books, I probably won't watch the 3rd one.

I've read the books, the first one was amazing, the others got progressively worse. The third book made me so frustrated that I posted a foot long rant about it in my review blog. I heard that the movie isn't as good as the book, but since the first book was really good, I might watch it anyways. If the movies continue being worse than the books, I probably won't watch the 3rd one.

The movie had many parts left out, but it was good.

Hey! Spoiler alert! I haven't seen/read it yet! xD

I plan on reading the book first sine I heard it was really excellent :)

It is. ;]]

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button. Also, please keep your posts at 7 words or above. Quotes do not contribute to the word count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

SPOILER ALERT: PEOPLE DIE.

...I want to do that for every single Hunger Games thing I read. Because really, it's a spoiler...but at the same time, it's kind of obvious. The plot of the book is that twenty-four kids go in, and only one will survive, I wonder who it will be...this is the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

*cough* Did I start singing that?

Anyway, I'm not going to see it until it comes out on DVD. Movie theaters + ankylosing spondylitis = PAINPAINPAINWHYYYYYY

I LOVED the Hunger Games books. I read all 3 in less than a week.

Either I was over-excited for the movie, or my expectations are too high but the movie let me down a bit. Nothing can compare to the suspense created in the books!

Still I'm a hardcore fan and I was there in the line up on opening day!

@Karina: Aren't you ready to watch it? Didn't already come out though for you or is it because you live in a different country?

If you ask me, I would say that the book was better than the movie. :) I did see the movie. It was balanced. Kept me entertained. I am actually looking forward to the next movies in the series. :D

SPOILERS ARE PRESENT IN THIS POST

i don't think they got progressively worse at all. yeah the third book was pretty bad because she just killed everybody off and was way too eager to wrap the story up and so the end was really rushed and the closing lines were SO LAME. i thought catching fire was brilliant though! pretty fantastic series. wasn't expecting to like it but i'm officially a fan haha. saw the movie the day after it came out in nz (couldn't go to the midnight premiere :-() with my girlfriend and we booked luxury seats and everything. it was pretty good but i felt like if you hadn't read the books you would have a lot of trouble following the movie. i wrote a review post about it on tumblr that i guess i could post here. maybe i'll edit this post with it later

i adore the hunger games, i thought the movie was one of the better book adaptations i've seen.

catching fire would have to be my favourite book, and i am very excited to see the movie of that. i would have liked mockingjay a lot more if my favourite character didn't get killed off...sigh

I read all three books over three days. Everything in spoilers is peppered with spoilers so nyah. Also rant alert. Still processing.

I feel absolutely drained. I think after the first hundred pages in the first book, I just switched off. I still feel really empty. Not in the "Wow, I really feel that the story's not over. What happens next?" way I felt about Harry Potter. Although that's really an unfair comparison. No, this is like "I really need a hug and to talk to someone about it" because I don't really know what to think. I couldn't make myself gasp in all the right places. Finnick was my favourite character, and I only felt a bit bad for Anne when he died. Only for a second. I feel I should've been more repulsed by the Games, but I was just kind of meh about them from the start. I was sad Thresh died. Rue, I knew would die. I could more or less tell when someone was gone - the ones Katniss liked could not, would not be allowed to die by her hands. The "suspense" around her frustrated me because I knew she wasn't going to die (one of the reasons I really dislike first person) and all that happened was that I got frustrated with her hallucination scenes and the connections that she'd make so far after me.

Almost from the moment Katniss started thinking about how ridiculous she thought she looked in the dress on T.V. I pegged her as a Sue. No, it was really confirmation. May the odds be ever in your favour. All of the odds were in her favour from the viewpoint of anyone even basically genre savvy. Yes, it was horrible what she had to go through, but I expected more from these books. Maybe I went in with my expectations too high, but I felt let down. I wanted to have my pants scared off me. Instead, I found myself struggling to care. But I got emotionally invested in Gale. Business man in 2? Anything but that. Gale would have gone back to the mines before you could stick him in a suit. I admit, I'm probably hurting more because I sided Katniss/Gale, with Peeta/Delly as a thing I thought might happen. No, of course. But I can't help thinking Peeta's too soft for Katniss, a talker, not a fighter.

I think it comes down to what Keiwo said about the ending being rushed. It was. I think we found out what happens to everyone within... ugh, I don't even know, and most of that's Peeta and Katniss. I swear the descriptions of the opening festival was longer. Which was another thing that bothered me. I was very surprised when I realised that over half of each of the first two books was lead up to the actual Games. I suppose I can see why the focus was put on the opening festival in the first book, but it was more unnecessary in the second, in my opinion. In fact, the amount of times the author repeated things really bugged me. For almost any series, I find it weird that people pick up the second book before the first (the exceptions being series where the author has written prequel(s)) and expect to know what's going on.

-------------------------------------------

Ok, that was me an hour ago. Call that the second reaction. I want to wrap this up, so everything else in dot points

• Everything after Tigris' shop, I couldn't read for more than two minutes at the time. It was the same as the last 3/4 of Breaking Dawn - it's not that it couldn't hold my attention, I was just so impatient for the end to happen.
  • There was so much focus on the love triangle in the 2nd book, it was difficult to focus on war plans in the third.
  • That being said, it did keep me reading. In fact, the all of the books were really good at drawing you in and keeping you there. The imagery is stunning. (I have something positive to say? *gob smacked*)
  • I never go that "oh, stuff just got serious" feeling. I wouldn't usually compare to Harry Potter (again) but my reaction was weird enough that it's ok-ish. In HP, I got the osjgs feeling when Harry was leaving after Snape died. I got through Fred dying, Sirius dying, Dumbledore dying, even. It wasn't even actually Snape's death that got me. It was some stupid bit of description. I never got the osjgs feeling during the Hunger Games. At all. That's weird.

And as a non-spoiler, it was the first book, or series, that ever made me want to have a stupid conversation. About nothing. I can't remember ever wanting a nothing conversation - I usually shy away from them. So yes, just reactions. Just reactions.

I haven't seen it because I would really like to read the books first. My tumblr dashboard has a lot of Hunger Games stuff on it though, which is getting slightly annoying because I don't understand the jokes! People have been telling me to read the books for a while I just haven't gotten around to it, maybe this summer.

I haven't read the books, but I saw the movie. I followed it pretty well, I think... although it probably would have made more sense if I'd read the novels. It had some really touching moments in it, but unfortunately I already knew how it ended (I think I'd read the ending on this forum, lol). I'd have preferred to have kept that a secret.

I'm sure lots of people say this but it reminds me of Battle Royale. That's not a bad thing though as I love that film, I just couldn't get past that comparison. It makes me want to see BR again, actually...

yes...i've...seen...it <3

i've read ALL the books at least 7 times.

half of the time in dutch, and half of the time in english XD

i watched it last sunday with friends in the cinema, and it was GREAT

<spoiler> I had to cry when rue died. I really imagined the song different, but it was still a great song with great lyrics and a great thought. When Tresh saved her I felt so moved, because he did it for Rue, and for the one who tried to save her. Foxface was just epic :)

ps: am I the only one who thought the filming wasn't really good? blurry moments, shaky when it shouldn't be?

pps: omg, the capitol, djeez, i was in shock, i knew it was bad... but THIS bad?????

<spoiler/>

HAVE...TO...WATCH...SECOND...ONE...GROAR

Yeaah ! The movie was awesome. It was actually what got me to read the first book. I'm pretty impressed with the way the movie came out; they stuck to the book, with some missing details here and there (which can't really be helped since movies are condensed books). Actors were great, action was great -- loved how much violence they were able to fit in tastefully while keeping the rating PG-13.

- INCLUDES MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT -

I loved the books and the movie!!! I was also very proud as i was the first one to read the books out of all my friends group, and therefore introduced it to them =3. But the book was definitely better than the movie, they usually are anyway. I can't wait for the next movie though!!! And i agree with Zooba, the third book made me so angry!!! I was just thinking "how did things fall apart like this?!". And Katniss was just meant for Gale!!!!! I didn't want her to end up with Peeta =(.

Honestly, I thought the books were pretty bad. I'm an English major and I saw SO many flaws with them. The characters were so jumbled & their personalities were very inconsistent and didn't make much sense to me. Katniss clearly should have ended up with Gale; the whole love triangle thing was really weird and also made absolutely no sense.

Also, the idea is stolen! There is an anime/manga called Battle Royale that has the exact same idea! There is a movie out for this anime/manga as well, which is way better than The Hunger Games books.

I think the idea is somewhat cool, but I think it's disgusting that she completely ripped off the idea. How is she even allowed to make money off of this? Also, has anyone seen her website? It's terribly unprofessional!

Honestly, I thought the books were pretty bad. I'm an English major and I saw SO many flaws with them. The characters were so jumbled & their personalities were very inconsistent and didn't make much sense to me. Katniss clearly should have ended up with Gale; the whole love triangle thing was really weird and also made absolutely no sense.

Also, the idea is stolen! There is an anime/manga called Battle Royale that has the exact same idea! There is a movie out for this anime/manga as well, which is way better than The Hunger Games books.

I think the idea is somewhat cool, but I think it's disgusting that she completely ripped off the idea. How is she even allowed to make money off of this? Also, has anyone seen her website? It's terribly unprofessional!

Hmmm, i think the characters were inconsistent on purpose, because otherwise the books would have been very predictable. But yeah, towards the end it did get too confusing.

As for it being a 'stolen idea', i doubt that's actually true... Because no one actually really does that. Lots of books have the same general outline or series of events, but things just happen that way. You cant read every book in the world to make sure your one is original, and i think Collins wrote the Hunger Games in her own style.

And the website, yes it does look a bit unprofessional, but you can tell she tried her best making the page by herself. Not everyone can be bothered hiring a professional just to do a webpage, i guess she just thought she could go without.

Sorry for arguing, i just love the books so much! And i never like it when things are badmouthed like that. Everything should be able to be defended in some way =).

I read all three books over three days. Everything in spoilers is peppered with spoilers so nyah. Also rant alert. Still processing.

I feel absolutely drained. I think after the first hundred pages in the first book, I just switched off. I still feel really empty. Not in the "Wow, I really feel that the story's not over. What happens next?" way I felt about Harry Potter. Although that's really an unfair comparison. No, this is like "I really need a hug and to talk to someone about it" because I don't really know what to think. I couldn't make myself gasp in all the right places. Finnick was my favourite character, and I only felt a bit bad for Anne when he died. Only for a second. I feel I should've been more repulsed by the Games, but I was just kind of meh about them from the start. I was sad Thresh died. Rue, I knew would die. I could more or less tell when someone was gone - the ones Katniss liked could not, would not be allowed to die by her hands. The "suspense" around her frustrated me because I knew she wasn't going to die (one of the reasons I really dislike first person) and all that happened was that I got frustrated with her hallucination scenes and the connections that she'd make so far after me.

Almost from the moment Katniss started thinking about how ridiculous she thought she looked in the dress on T.V. I pegged her as a Sue. No, it was really confirmation. May the odds be ever in your favour. All of the odds were in her favour from the viewpoint of anyone even basically genre savvy. Yes, it was horrible what she had to go through, but I expected more from these books. Maybe I went in with my expectations too high, but I felt let down. I wanted to have my pants scared off me. Instead, I found myself struggling to care. But I got emotionally invested in Gale. Business man in 2? Anything but that. Gale would have gone back to the mines before you could stick him in a suit. I admit, I'm probably hurting more because I sided Katniss/Gale, with Peeta/Delly as a thing I thought might happen. No, of course. But I can't help thinking Peeta's too soft for Katniss, a talker, not a fighter.

I think it comes down to what Keiwo said about the ending being rushed. It was. I think we found out what happens to everyone within... ugh, I don't even know, and most of that's Peeta and Katniss. I swear the descriptions of the opening festival was longer. Which was another thing that bothered me. I was very surprised when I realised that over half of each of the first two books was lead up to the actual Games. I suppose I can see why the focus was put on the opening festival in the first book, but it was more unnecessary in the second, in my opinion. In fact, the amount of times the author repeated things really bugged me. For almost any series, I find it weird that people pick up the second book before the first (the exceptions being series where the author has written prequel(s)) and expect to know what's going on.

-------------------------------------------

Ok, that was me an hour ago. Call that the second reaction. I want to wrap this up, so everything else in dot points

• Everything after Tigris' shop, I couldn't read for more than two minutes at the time. It was the same as the last 3/4 of Breaking Dawn - it's not that it couldn't hold my attention, I was just so impatient for the end to happen.
  • There was so much focus on the love triangle in the 2nd book, it was difficult to focus on war plans in the third.
  • That being said, it did keep me reading. In fact, the all of the books were really good at drawing you in and keeping you there. The imagery is stunning. (I have something positive to say? *gob smacked*)
  • I never go that "oh, stuff just got serious" feeling. I wouldn't usually compare to Harry Potter (again) but my reaction was weird enough that it's ok-ish. In HP, I got the osjgs feeling when Harry was leaving after Snape died. I got through Fred dying, Sirius dying, Dumbledore dying, even. It wasn't even actually Snape's death that got me. It was some stupid bit of description. I never got the osjgs feeling during the Hunger Games. At all. That's weird.

And as a non-spoiler, it was the first book, or series, that ever made me want to have a stupid conversation. About nothing. I can't remember ever wanting a nothing conversation - I usually shy away from them. So yes, just reactions. Just reactions.

If I could "like" this post I would. This was basically identical to my reaction. I was looking for reaction boards to talk about the books on after reading the last one, and I was sort of...in shock..for three days..I'm still not entirely sure if I like the books or not. The ending was, as many people have already said, rushed.

I was also on team gale, and I thought the way he was acting in the third book and epilogue was extremely OOC, based on his dialogue/description in the previous books. Personally, I don't really like Peeta at all..not just in an I-don't-think-he's-right-for-katniss kind of way, but as a character...he's such a sissy...this is kind of my over-all opinion of him. Head-in-the-clouds, not really assertive...I dunno...I think he's really passive about life. If he's been "in love" with Katniss forever, why couldn't he have approached her once in all those years before they got drafted into the HGs? He had to have her undivided attention before admitting that he had feelings for her. I dunno, I just don't generally like it when passive characters are main characters, this goes for all books/passive main characters I come across. I don't remember any specific incidents that gave me this impression about Peeta because I read the series like..two years ago..but I remember that being my main impression of him. In my opinion the third book was extremely disorganized...it's like she had a dozen ideas she wanted to stuff into the books but she didn't feel like elaborating any of them.

Hmmm, i think the characters were inconsistent on purpose, because otherwise the books would have been very predictable. But yeah, towards the end it did get too confusing.

As for it being a 'stolen idea', i doubt that's actually true... Because no one actually really does that. Lots of books have the same general outline or series of events, but things just happen that way. You cant read every book in the world to make sure your one is original, and i think Collins wrote the Hunger Games in her own style.

And the website, yes it does look a bit unprofessional, but you can tell she tried her best making the page by herself. Not everyone can be bothered hiring a professional just to do a webpage, i guess she just thought she could go without.

Sorry for arguing, i just love the books so much! And i never like it when things are badmouthed like that. Everything should be able to be defended in some way =).

Actually, a lot of really popular books have stolen ideas..case in point: Stephanie Meyers' book "The Host" is almost identical to the series "Animorphs" which, itself, was an idea ripped off an old book written in like the 60's (can't remember the name, but apparently the movie version was very famous in the 80's. ) What about the vampire YA craze sweeping the globe? Or the fallen angel one? Those books are so similar that if you switch the character names to those of another copy-cat book, you'd think it was a sequel. The only think that's changed is the names of the characters and the name of the high school.

Well, I only recently got into the "The Hunger Games" books and recently watched the movie.

I did think that the first book was better than then the movie, ONLY because they failed in explaining things to those of us who have not read the book.

For instance, my boyfriend only seen the movie, and he was confused by two things. (1) The scenes with Peeta throwing the bread to Katniss, (2) The random Mine Explosion

My boyfriend actually thought that Katniss was angry with Peeta (she was ignoring him on the train ride, which I suppose was supposed to give out the feeling she knew she'd have to kill Peeta to survive), and he kept seeing that seemingly random scene with Peeta throwing bread out into the rain - which to him, looked like he was mocking Katniss by feeding the pigs bread and throwing the bread out into a giant puddle. So they could have placed more time and effort into that memory.

Also. The explosion scene was very random to my friends who hadn't read the book. They assumed Katniss house was destroyed; they didn't really comprehend it was her father who had died in an explosion. They probably could have conveyed this better by having Katniss at least remark about her Father dying, since to them, it appeared like some random explosion had happened. I know they made attempts to show it being her Father (by having it in a picture frame on the mantel), but I don't think it did a good job.

I feel like people shouldn't HAVE to read the books to get the movie, and I didn't like the movie sort of failed on those fronts.

Also; I liked how they conveyed the Capitol, but I would have liked it better if they went a little more "all out" with the Capitol citizens. They looked too normal. I know the designers had to have made the Capitol citizens "relate able", but they looked too normal. Why not add cat whiskers to their faces, or have some dyed different colours?

As well, the camera movement was REALLY hard BEFORE the Game even began, which we didn't need. It made me feel sick.

BUT, I did like how we were able to see things from the Gamemaker's perspective. Because we always read from Katniss's view, we're restricted. The movie really opened up the doors to this huge world! The Gamemakers scenes were well done! Also, it was nice to see Haymitch making deals for Katniss so she could be sponsored.

Haymitch's character was funny, but...stereotypical. I mean, he's a drunk in a lot of pain because he has to help people die. It was just too...movie-like I guess?

I didn't like how Katniss just "discovers" the Mockinjay pin, and claims it to "protect" her sister; as her sister was picked out of thousands of potential kids.

The dog scene was well done! I get why they couldn't make the dogs look like the tributes - wouldn't that be impossible?

Anyway, all in all, good movie. They did what they could. But they couldn't really convey the horrors of war properly since they had to restrict violence. (Which is good news to me, I can't stand gore!)

Actually, a lot of really popular books have stolen ideas..case in point: Stephanie Meyers' book "The Host" is almost identical to the series "Animorphs"

I have to disagree with you there.

The Host actually has a more realistic sort of alien invading! Animorphs featured Slugs who could go through your ear and end up in your brain - meaning they'd have to somehow get through layers of tissue and bone just to get into your head.

The Host aliens have to be surgically placed into The Host.

Also, there are no humans who can transform into animals, and

At the end of Animorphs, the humans win! The Host is about a world where the alien invaders conquered - humanity already lost.

Not to mention that The Host aliens don't seem to need sustenance like the slugs from Animorphs do (they have to leave their host every three days), and Animorphs isn't really a love story where The Host is.

The other thing? In Animorphs, the slugs don't hijack the human's conscience. The humans are still aware they exist and they have to watch as their body is controlled without their consent from slugs. In Host, the human's conscience is usually erased (besides some characters who resist), so essentially, The Souls (the aliens), kill the humans inside out while the Yeerks *aliens from Animorphs* have the humans still alive just with no control of their bodies.

The Souls mostly detest violence, any form. They are mostly peaceful among themselves. They apparently have some sort of code to not invade a species they deem "good". They also don't "waste" human bodies, or prefer not to. And seldom resort to it.

The Yeerks use violence frequently. They wish to invade as much as possible. They also kill humans who know of them since they sometimes don't have enough Yeerks to infest them.

Yes, the concept (body snatchers) is the same, but the aliens and the storyline are entirely different.

Sorry, I liked both of those books - and I was a big fan of Animorphs back in the day. xD

@lilshadowdweller I see your point, I was never a big fan of animorphs so I couldn't remember much of the details. I just remember thinking how similar the two were while reading the Host (which I loved!) I didn't mean to belittle the entertainment value of either the Host or Animorphs, just pointing out that they're quite similar. Also, just as an aside:

In the Host, the Souls didn't win. The entire novel was about how both species became more accepting of each other, and in the end Soul parents started having human children, etc. Humanity started growing on them. They don't elaborate much after that, but I always assumed that some sort of balance was found and they all shared Earth.