So can someone explain to an oldie how "hackers" operate these days?

DP_

Hi TDN users,

I have some mild concerns that my account has been "hacked" since I can't get into it. For now I'm not panicking and just patiently waiting for TNT to respond to my questions. But I do want some information on how "hackers" get into accounts these days, just so I know if it may have happened to me.

I am a neopets user of 11 years on various accounts, and I know from those days that the only real way to get hacked was to give out your password, either by filling in a login screen on a page that wasn't really neopets, or by giving it out to someone claiming they could add some magical special feature to your account.

Since I know I haven't stupidly filled in my password on an external site, is there anything else that could have happened to me? Really appreciate some information on these things since I'm too old and slow now to really understand how neopets works :)

Thank you!!

Thank you for the link! I think it is possible that it could have been a cookie grabber, since they can be present in any shop or gallery. I'll just wait patiently for TNT to get back to me and hope this isn't what happened!

I hadn't fallen victim to a cookie grabber until after years of playing. Was hard to start again though I've been at it and have surpassed my old status. Good information above. Other things I'd say would be to use a browser only for neopets and for other non neopets websurfing (even TDN) I'd use another browser just to be safe. There's been many a time that I had to google something about neopets and I imagine this is how I probably got cookie grabbed.

It could have been a cookie grabber... maybe?

http://www.thedailyn...ookie-grabbers/

That page recommends Firefox and the NoScript addon, but as a Chrome user I went looking for an alternative - thankfully there is ScriptNo and NotScript (after reading reviews and checking what others were saying online I have decided to try ScriptNo). I doubt I would have thought to look into it at all if you hadn't posted that link, so I'm very grateful that you did, Xepha.

I think it can be a particular problem for older users. You'd assume we'd have seen it all so would know more about account security than newer players, but having older accounts mean we're used to how things used to be... not always how they are now. When I joined many (but not all) people used simple passwords that they'd remember and were easy to guess, there wasn't PIN numbers, or the option to need your birthday to sign in. However inconvenienced we feel by these extra steps, it's worth it to know your account is secure.

Sorry for waffling on. Best of luck to DP_.