A lil nay

keiwo

My girlfriend and I have been living together for two months (she moved from Australia to be with me) and right now she has a super intense migraine, complete with hypersensitivity to light/sound, nausea, vomiting and pain so bad it makes her cry. It set in pretty much out of nowhere but she knew it was coming around 30 minutes before it hit. I am really worried about her - it's the first time she's been sick since we've been living together. Of course it happens to every couple but it really isn't nice. I am looking after her as best I can but it is the most heartbreaking thing in the world to see her so sick and in pain and not being able to do much about it. I just wanted to post about it somewhere while she is in our bed behind me trying to sleep it off. :-(

It's always horrible to see someone you love in pain :( It sounds like she's in good hands though. :) Hopefully when she wakes up she'll feel a little better. Make sure she drinks lots and lots of water; I chug it like nobodies business when I get migraines/headaches.

Does this happen often or more than this time? Has she been to the docs about it? If not I would definitely go and see if you can get some stronger painkillers - if she's been vomiting from her migraines I'm sure a doctor would prescribe something.

Really hope she feels better x

Strangely enough, I've noticed a lot of females get these. My sisters and I get them, as well as my best friend. Even though I get them from time to time, I still feel horribly when either of them get them. D: I read somewhere it's something to do with hormones — there are a lot of hormonal changes, and it goes on from the time you're 12 to the time you're about 35, I think. Or maybe it's just from your first period to the time you hit menopause in general, rather than specific ages — that would explain the hormone levels.

All you can do is to just keep taking good care of her — make sure she gets a lot of cold water after throwing up, and try to sleep off the migraines if it's possible. The best thing she can honestly get is your sympathy and warm feelings, even if the pain makes her cry or bite your head off. She'll appreciate it after the pain subsides.

Like Saxen said it's hard to watch when someone you love is in pain :( I hope she feels better when she wakes up.

It's probably a good idea for her to see a doctor, see if she can get some stronger painkillers and something to just help her cope a little better. When she wakes up make sure she gets plenty of fluids, like water. If she's somewhat dehydrated Apple Juice is great too.

I don't know what it's like to have horrible migraines, but I do know what it's like to be in a tremendous amount of pain and you can't do anything about it except ride it out, which is not fun for anyone.

Ariotia mentioned cold water, but lukewarm water is probably best. If you've been vomiting, drinking something cold can actually induce more vomiting. So lukewarm room temperature drinks are probably best until her tummy settles down.

I feel terrible when I hear about poor people who get migraines. One of my good friends in high school had them, and she missed most of her high school years because of them. Sometimes, she'd pass out from the intense pain, or vomit, too. Migraines are very painful and difficult to treat. I hope that someday, they develop or manage better cures.

She definitely needs to get them checked out. Sometimes, I experience what's called a "visual migraine", it's like a migraine without the headache. It's not painful, but it starts in the corner of my eye sight then starts distorting my vision entirely. When I get one, I become essentially blinded by it, and the only "cure" I have is to find a very dark spot, lie down, and wait it out. If I drove, it would be a dangerous thing to happen.

I can't recommend much, I only have migraines once in a while (I mean, the normal, none-visual ones). Just make sure she's in a darkened room and lying down, the light really creates a problem. See if messaging the area helps, and perhaps a cold/warm cloth?

I heard Botox helps, believe it or not. o_O But I dunno if she's desire needles in her face. *shudder*

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's no fun being around someone in a lot of pain, and can be sad or even scary, but you just have to be there for her. :) I live with severe migraines every day and know they really suck. I find it's best to lay in a dark, quiet room with a pack of crushed ice under the neck and another on the forehead and try to sleep it off that way. Unfortunately there aren't many things that can really help once a migraine gets to that point. Hopefully she's over it by now, but I would say make sure she sees a doctor. I'm not sure if there are any cures out there, but they can at least prescribe medication for when she gets bad migraines which make it easier to get through the day or fall asleep.