Slower games

lakecat

Hi, I'm new on the forum, but have been playing some of the NP games for a few years. Since the games upgrade recently, most of them are now very sluggish for me--less than half speed and not very mouse responsive. I'm using an 8 year old PC with weak RAM and an old monitor, but they played fine on that until the change. Can someone explain exactly what was done, so that I can understand whether it's just my old comp that won't be able to adjust (until it's replaced) or if it could be something else? Other websites and surfing seem normal. I updated Flash recently, and that didn't help. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

they added a crapload more flash such as the ads, i feel your pain though up till september last year i was using a computer older then yours, but to try and help with the problem download firefox browser (if you don't already have it) then google for the adblock add on install that and use one of the two lists they have. that'll remove ads and before you play any games click the little cog icon on the screen and choose the lowest quality settings and if its still bad then the smallest screen size and that should help your problem.

Aalnius has some good advice there. For my aging laptop, I ended up downloading an ad block extension (although I use Google Chrome). Also, like Aalnius mentioned, the new game room sets games at medium automatically so for each game you'll need to change it to see if it helps any - it seemed to do the trick for me. Not sure it's as fast as before still, but they're playable at least.

Also avoid having any other programs (like music playing) while you have FF open. It takes up RAM on your computer and slows it down. You can try opening up task manager and see if any of your processes are taking up too much RAM. Recently my whole computer started to be really slow. I took a look and there was one process called SYSTEM that was taking up 109,000kb when usually it's around 200kb. I found out AVG was the culprit and am now looking to find another free anti-virus...

They've started lagging for me, too, except I have a Sony Vaio with a pretty tank i5 processor and 4GB of DDR3 RAM. It's absolutely bizarre because I don't have issues with anything else and my flash player is up to date. It does this in ALL of the browsers I try.

They've started lagging for me, too, except I have a Sony Vaio with a pretty tank i5 processor and 4GB of DDR3 RAM. It's absolutely bizarre because I don't have issues with anything else and my flash player is up to date. It does this in ALL of the browsers I try.

Aha, so it is happening even though you have like about 10x the RAM I have. AND it's on ALL the browsers, you say? This proves to me that it's a site problem, not us. What I notice the most is the sluggishness between mouse clicks and the response, which I never noticed before. It's hard to use now, some games are almost unplayable, especially time sensitive ones. I hope the NP team is aware of this. (BTW, lowering the viewing size and quality didn't really help much. I was playing them on a medium size but "High" setting before the change, and the adjustment down from that didn't speed up the games at all, it just made them look less clear.)

I can sympathise. I'm having a difficult time with games where you need to move the mouse quickly to click on things, like the Daily Dare games Carnival of Terror and Mootix Drop. It was never quite as bad before these changes and I never used to lower the settings or use an ad block.

Sorry that the settings didn't give you any improvement... I *think* it helps my aging laptop, at least a little, but even so it's very irritating that I have to set it to that every time (once per game should be enough). The whole games room looks nice enough, but that doesn't mean much when some players are having problems running the games - it's like having a terrible present wrapped in awful wrapping paper! :laughingsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure exactly which day it was, but since either Friday or Saturday (or earlier?) the games are back to normal for me. :guitar: I'm still curious what it was exactly that slowed them down recently. :S Hope everyone else is back up to speed! :bike: