Suicide

khaos

If you think that the death of a loved one is the worst thing you can feel (since you say that whatever I was feeling can't trump the death of a loved one), I'm glad to say that you don't know true pain.

I've had plenty of deaths of loved ones. I've seen people die of slow illnesses (seen, mind you), I've had one friend commit suicide, and I've had a couple of friends die suddenly from a drunk driver. One friend (not a close friend of mine, but still a friend) got murdered, and it took months to find the body. It can be depressing, sure. But trust me when I say I have had way worse.

I probably should have said "you can't say that it automatically trumps the death of a loved one."

And just to clarify, are you saying that, yes the death of friends/family can hurt, but the pain you felt was worse than that? Don't you think that all that death caused you to want to kill yourself.... at least somewhat?

I have never experienced the death of someone close to me, I can only imagine. So please excuse my ignorance. I'm just trying to understand.

If you think that the death of a loved one is the worst thing you can feel (since you say that whatever I was feeling can't trump the death of a loved one), I'm glad to say that you don't know true pain.

I've had plenty of deaths of loved ones. I've seen people die of slow illnesses (seen, mind you), I've had one friend commit suicide, and I've had a couple of friends die suddenly from a drunk driver. One friend (not a close friend of mine, but still a friend) got murdered, and it took months to find the body. It can be depressing, sure. But trust me when I say I have had way worse.

i understand your point but pain is subjective and any one person may experience a whole range of hurt in ways that others could never comprehend. for some people, "true" pain might just be found in the loss of a loved one. i'm sorry that you have been through all of what you have described and more, but to discount other people's pain because they haven't dealt with as much isn't fair.

my best friend committed suicide around three years ago, presumably because she could no longer deal with everything she had to go through on a daily basis. i certainly would not dub her as selfish. everything is circumstantial and in the end, everyone has their own rights to their own lives and bodies. yes, suicide hurts others in unimaginable ways, and yes, it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but i'm not sure i could ever call it 'selfish'. nobody knows the full extent of anyone else's battles.

i'm sorry that you have been through all of what you have described and more, but to discount other people's pain because they haven't dealt with as much isn't fair.

This is precisely my point, though. It's not fair to discount the pain of the person who commits suicide. When someone acts like they have it worse than the person who has committed suicide, it's not only unfair but very selfish.

And just to clarify, are you saying that, yes the death of friends/family can hurt, but the pain you felt was worse than that? Don't you think that all that death caused you to want to kill yourself.... at least somewhat?

To clarify completely, I'm going to say...the pain I felt from a variety of things was far worse than the pain I felt from the loss of friends/family. I'm not claiming the pain that I had was any worse than the pain felt by those who died.

I'm also not claiming I have it worse than other people. I don't know what all everyone else has been through. I'm not arrogant, I swear.

No, the deaths have not caused me to want to kill myself. Some of the times when I was at my most suicidal were before the deaths that hit me hard. Actually, other than my grandfather in third grade (which hit me exactly as hard as it hits normal kids who love their grandparents but don't really know them that well) no deaths of family and friends happened until much later. The time when I was at the absolute worst was a year after some of them happened, but it was because I had switched medication to one that really messed me up. It didn't depress me--it horrified me. I was never really depressed, precisely. I was just at that point where I felt like I had to commit suicide to make the world a better place. Yeah, that sounds like depression, but it's a different feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Its horrible. My brother commited suicide a few years ago and it was just awful. My mom and myself couldn't help him at the time (its a very long story). I haven't ever fell into a depression in my life yet, so I don't know how it feels to be going through that.

Suicide is mostly on impulse. You do it before you think about how stupid it is, or how many others your hurting.

You would be surprised in how many people actually think about it for more than a few days. In both of my attempts, I thought about it for over a week. I can't talk for anyone else, but I also thought about all the loved ones I would be leaving, but I had felt like my own emotional pain was more than I could handle, and my parents thought I was just going through the typical hardships of being a teenager when I tried to talk to them about what was going on in my life. Before attempting suicide, I had been cutting for over several months because I felt I had to punish myself for things and also to remind myself that I could still feel pain even though I was already feeling so much emotionally. Do I regret what I did? Not necessarily, because it's events in my life that I can talk to people about and help them through their hard times, although I do regret the scars which I have partially covered with tattoos to hide because people look down on me for it. The thing that astonishes most about my attempts is that they both happened in high school...before the most traumatic events in my life (so far), but I'm thankful that I tried when I did because I know that if I hadn't, I would have most likely tried after finding my best friend dead less than a few weeks after my 17th birthday, which was labeled a suicide, although I was there (we were living together) and knew it was an accidental overdose, and was also the one who found him...having several other friends kill themselves or were murdered...it's a lot for a teen to handle. Then I ended up in an abusive marriage and other god awful moments happened during the time I was married. All of this happening within a span of less than 3 years and I'm still trying to recover/cope with it all, but I know that things happen for a reason. And if it weren't for those things happening, I would most likely still be a lowlife...doing drugs and thinking life is one big party and not taking anything seriously.

For people who attempt suicide, I feel as if they've lost their inner strength because you don't have to deal with the drama, bullying, physical pain, etc when you're gone...or so we like to think.

The fear of death is largely based on the fear of the unknown, and of pain. Someone who has gone through a lot of emotional trauma may feel that the unknown means only pain, and that death is a way of ending that cycle and that pain. I know that many people plan suicide attempts carefully, so it may also be an attempt to reassert control over their life, and the ability to continue or end it.

Suicide is especially hard of friends and family of the deceased because of the powerful feelings of mostly irrational guilt, that they could have done something but couldn't, or that they somehow created the circumstances that drove their loved one to suicide.

This is just what feel and know about the emotions surrounding suicide. Like most teens, I have thought a few times of disappearing off the face of the planet, but I have never gone so far as to carry out a plan to die, nor have I known personally anyone who did.

Here, I have made my ideas more clear and detailed for you. Here we go!

I have thought about dying just to see what it was like. There are so many things unknown about death that can only be known be those who have died. But I never attempted to do this.

So yeah, I've never really been a suicidal kid.

As to whether it is "okay", it depends. If you do it out of impulse because you've been feeling "sad", like if you have been dumped by your girlfreind 2 weeks ago and can't "get over" it then holy crap no. That's stupid.

If you do it because you are suffering so much that life just isn't worth it, like if your spouse and children died a way that you could have easily prevented, or if you are in so much pain from and injury or disease that all you want is to end your eternal suffering, than I would actually say yes.

And suicide in young children, like under 13, I think they are much too young to make such a big decision. They may not understand that if they kill themselves, that's it. They can't ever erase that move.

Those are my opinions.

Suicide is such a selfish decision.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make sure your posts are at 7 words or more.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think it is stupid. Especially when it is one of yours friends that him or her tell you that he or she is going to kill themself. Then, you convince him/her not to do it BUT nooooo......He or she would be like "Nobody cares about me!!" If nobody didn't care about you, then....why are we convincing you to not kill yourself..?

Sometimes, you just have to get over it. It is life. We all go through something. Just because you lost your gf or bf or couldn't get something you wanted doesn't mean go kill yourself. I understand if you got picked on, but you could go tell someone or say "F*** off!" If you were getting abused, I'd consider telling a friend or call police or something. So what's the point of killing yourself? This is the only time you will live.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is stupid. Especially when it is one of yours friends that him or her tell you that he or she is going to kill themself. Then, you convince him/her not to do it BUT nooooo......He or she would be like "Nobody cares about me!!" If nobody didn't care about you, then....why are we convincing you to not kill yourself..?

Sometimes, you just have to get over it. It is life. We all go through something. Just because you lost your gf or bf or couldn't get something you wanted doesn't mean go kill yourself. I understand if you got picked on, but you could go tell someone or say "F*** off!" If you were getting abused, I'd consider telling a friend or call police or something. So what's the point of killing yourself? This is the only time you will live.

As someone who suffers from depression and an anxiety disorder and who has thought about suicide many times, I can tell you that rational thought goes out the window when a person is depressed. "Of course people care about you" simply means nothing. Depression is deep-rooted and insidious. Even the most logical person cannot apply logic to the thoughts and feelings of the disease. And telling people to "just get over it" is basically dismissing feelings that they can't control. It's the height of inconsideration. I've been to psychologists, psychiatrists, and other doctors, and I currently take two medications, but I still struggle at times. My family is quite supportive, and I will always be grateful for their love and care, but this is a battle I will be fighting for a long time.

My aunt committed suicide about 3.5 years ago. She left 3 grown sons and a grandchild. She had be addicted to drugs and alcohol for years, and was dismissed from a treatment program for losing her job right before her death (the program she was in required enrollees to have a job). She was found in a wooded area several days after going missing.

I believe that suicide is wrong from the standpoint of God, who prohibits taking a life. However, I also believe that God knows the circumstances surrounding a suicide and takes into consideration all factors. So although I don't believe that suicide is right, I can also understand why people take their own lives.

I used to be a right-for-death activist, but after experiencing a close friend shooting himself because he was tormented by our classmates because a photo had been passed around of him kissing another male in his bedroom my decision took a U-turn.

The photo was taken from outside of his window and it was a secret he definitely didn't want out there, and for good reason.

Both him, and his boyfriend kill themselves, and it pains me to see how people take all of the accomplishments and memories of their life, and the ones that could have been and just throw them away.

I expected for the bullies to feel guilty for driving them that far, but guess what? They laughed even more.

You don't hurt the people who hurt you, you hurt the people who love you the most.

You leave people with unbearable guilt that no one should have to deal with.

The thought of "I could have/should have done something" hurts, even if there was nothing you could have done.

There's something I read a while ago that was very informative about suicide

warning: there is some graphic language used

and the title is very misleading, because as you read it, you realize the true intentions of the article.

Even my counselor thought it was hilarious:

http://www.cracked.c...cide-guide.html

Even though I agree with you, I think you should have worded that differently, because it could rub off as a bit rude and insensitive.

Like kyedigsme, I've suffered major depression and anxiety for most of my childhood/teen years and it will probably follow me for the rest of my life, and of course, I've considered suicide serveral times.

But not only am I terrified of death and pain (in other words I'm a total wimp), I can't stand the thought of hurting my friends and family and that alone is enough to keep me going. But unless you've been through extreme emotional trauma to get to that point, you really wouldn't understand.

I wouldn't simply say "get over it" because that could seriously drive someone to the edge, whether you realize it or not, that type of attitude can and probably will click in their head as an unsensitive "I don't care" gesture, even if you mean the best intentions by it.

Maybe the six year olds did not know that they could die from their actions? They were probably not trying to kill themselves just did not know they would die doing what they did. Maybe the six year old was trying do dodge the train.

Woah, that font color is killing my eyes.

The hanging one seems very suspicious, more likely accidental because I don't think a 6 year old would know about hanging as a method of suicide, or even how to do it.

The train one.. I don't know.

I think both the situations you described are horrible, but I can understand why the children may have done what they did, even though it does not justify their deaths.

In my opinion, the hanging was probably accidental, althought I think that at 6 years of age most children already have a firm grasp on the concept of death through their experiences (however limited).

• 1 month later...

I think that sometimes children are far more insightful than we give them credit for. Sometimes younger kids have this way of seeing straight to the heart of things, something some adults can never do. It's possible they didn't understand what they were doing, for sure. But it's probably more likely they were just sad and wanted the pain to go away. I'm not saying suicide is smart or good, but I'm aware that it definitely isn't motivated by fear.

Those stories sound so horrible :sad01_anim:. I would say children are too young to do this but in a sense, so are teenagers. I think as a 6 year old, I did know about death so it is possible.

I agree with you, Saira, but at the same time, I think children of today are 'older' than at least I was when I was 6 years old. They're a lot more exposed to the world. I can't imagine what would make a six year old child want to end their life. It's just so awful.

This is super horrible,especially for the loved ones.I do not want any kids under 15 (or 13) watching Family Guy....or the Simpsons.I never did anything that could actually do something like that to me.Maybe they did it because they weren't sure what their actions can do to them?They shouldn't even do it...

• 3 weeks later...

To those that say it's selfish to comit suicide because of who you leave behind, it's even more selfish for you to expect someone to keep living in pain just because of your own feelings. I mean ... how self absorbed can you get. The only time I'd possibly agree with that stance is if you have young kids.

Well, I think suicide is a very stupid choice. That is, for older people. And when I say older, I mean about 12 years old and up. I understand why young children try to suicide when they're younger, the main reason why is because they have sort of guilt and they have no idea how to get help because they're so young. I don't understand why teenagers though suicide, seriously. If you're a 15 year old who decides to suicide because you believe you have no importance in life ( or whatever the reason is. ), then that's just plain ignorant. I'm pretty sure that person who's planning to suicide has friends and family who do care about them and even if not, there's always help around that person. ( As in there's always teachers who can help resolve your problem. ) To believe that you have no importance in life is something that's ignorant. I despise people who suicide because it's not even worth it. Do you know that most people who threaten to kill them self don't actually do it? It's just part of getting the attention, and in the end it doesn't really matter cause they are probably forgotten in a year or two. ( Sounds harsh, but it's true. )

Children on the other hand have more reason to suicide. If you're a little 6year old or something getting abused by your parents or molested by somebody, then being the young kid you are: wouldn't you be afraid and have no idea how to resolve the problem? I don't believe kids understand the concept of death nor is it important to because whether you understand it or not, it's more important to understand the significance of living. Children are to young to understand how important it is to live and to understand their role in society.

Yeah. :laughingsmiley:

To those that say it's selfish to comit suicide because of who you leave behind, it's even more selfish for you to expect someone to keep living in pain just because of your own feelings. I mean ... how self absorbed can you get. The only time I'd possibly agree with that stance is if you have young kids.

Well it is selfish to be honest. Because there's a lot of people around the world who are living a much more tragic life than some people, though they don't give up. I believe that it is being ignorant to think that you're the only one going through that much pain. Most people suicide for attention. You say that that person is living through pain, but isn't everyone? That person just needs to open their mind instead of thinking about how horrible their life is and go seek help.

I can tell the previous two commenters have never struggled with suicidal depression or bothered to learn about it. *shrug* Y'all are the "ignorant" ones imo.

I have had for your information.

Infact, that's why I'm telling this because I've actually tried suiciding when I was younger.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.