Suicide

khaos

Yeah, basically what the title says. What do you think about suicide? I've read stories of 6 year olds committing suicide, One of which hung herself, another one stepping in front of a train, etc. Do you even think 6 year olds conceive the concept of death?

What you've described is... horrible, I haven't heard anything like that before. Not sure how to tackle debating this but here goes.

Mostly I think television is to blame - even The Simpsons depicts things like hanging, and that's a cartoon shown at 6pm. The media has taken to glamourising things like suicide, and some children (especially young ones) copy a lot of the things they see on tv - not to mention a lot of kids now how have full access to whatever the internet holds which is some pretty disturbing stuff. I'm not saying that those children did it because of these reasons at all, but it is a possibility.

Children cant regulate their emotions as well as adults and a childs mind is extremely fragile. Maybe these children had a tough life? Some traumas can just be too much, even at that age. Also there are some genetic mental illnesses that can show themselves early on.

This is such a tricky subject for many reasons, "what do you think about suicide?" might be a bit of a broad question.

the 6 year old who hung herself was because she had gotten into a fight with her mom, and she had heard not to play with belts near her neck. She tied to belt to an unused crib and hung herself. The one who stepped in front of a train was, in fact, on purpose, because her mom had died. She said she wanted to be an "angel with her mommy."

Another show is family guy. A one year old who steals cars, swears, shoots people, that is a bad influence to little kids considering they might try to do something like that.

I also read one about a 6 year old boy who killed himself(don't know how) because her mom shot and killed herself because she couldn't deal with her husband's death in a war.

I have to say I don't think suicide can really be influenced by things like the media and external stimuli. Some people may be inspired to take that action by TV or anything else, but the great majority can watch TV about suicide and not react. Like how a lot of serial killers (another fun topic!..not) had abusive families as children. Most children of abusive parents don't go on to commit serial murder, but a few of them just have this drive inside them. Mix it with the violence and the worse outcome happens, but it has to come from inside the person at some point.

I was pretty shocked when I saw that six-year-olds had committed suicide, but honestly I'm not surprised that it would happen at any age. Adults forget what it was like to be a little kid, when I think back I realize that I was much more aware of death and "the real world" than I think children are today... I had a fantasy-prone-personality and kind of a morbid sensibility. More morbid than I am now, actually. Much more.

It is just awful to think about, though. I was reading about the girl who strangled herself and agree with their conjecture that she probably didn't realize the consequences of her actions. I don't know what to think.

I am not surprised by the age since I study psychology and have read research on newborns with depression - nothing surprises me any more. As for suicide, I simply think it is an incredibly sad thing. Some people think it's egoistic, others blame society and whatnot. Truth is people are influenced by so many factors that you just never know what did what exactly. I agree that such shows can be dangerous, but on the other hand some people live by them and their live would be much bleaker without them, so you can't really cut them off.

One thing I know about suicide is that it is preventable, and that's what I focus on.

I just remembered a really interesting study I heard on the Freakonomics Podcast a couple weeks ago. They divided people in the study into three groups:

1. People who live in Las Vegas.

2. People who moved to Las Vegas and now live there.

3. People who used to live in Las Vegas, but moved away.

Suicide rates were then compared by their relative rate to one another, and they found that people who live in Las Vegas or have moved to Las Vegas were more likely to commit suicide than people who moved away from the city.

Goes to the point of it being preventable, and that it's less innate than I think I implied in my first post.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what do we think of suicide", I anticipate that most people would think that suicide is a horrible and sad thing.

As I took the Social Service Worker program in Niagara College, I had to attend "Assit", (Applied Suicide Intervention Training). There are many factors that create suicide, but I certainly would not by any stretch blame television. After all, I had watched the Simpsons almost religiously as a child and it never occurred to me to attempt suicide or any violent acts. Do I believe television would cause kids to swear, however? Oh yes. My young cousin, who was permitted to watch Family Guy, mimicked a lot of it.

The thing you should know is, most people who attempt suicide regret it almost instantly after. (If they are still alive.) So when I hear of people who were successful with it, I feel very sad. I find that it mostly revolves around much inner pain and not the antics of television.

When I was 6 years old, I had full blown Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. (Yes, I still do. It's not curable, just manageable.) I had to comprehend a lot of grown up things due to this disorder. I think a 6 year old slightly comprehends and fears the aspect of death, but perhaps not in the same manner as an adult. I certainly understood it and felt it. (No, I wasn't suicidal. I'm too scared to end my life.)

I'll never judge a person who has committed suicide, rather, I like to look at what caused it to begin with. Imbalances in the brain, peer pressure, bullying, family issues...it's all endless. I understand why it's somewhat self centered, as the person is effecting not just themselves, but those who love them.

It's against our nature to wish to harm ourselves -- which is why suicide prevention needs to be taught not only to people being trained in the social services, but everywhere. There was a student who was a year or two ahead of me. He always seemed very happy and popular. One day, out of the blue, he killed him. He hanged himself on a tree. (How does one even manage this!?) It seemed like there were no warning sides. Evidently, he was fighting a lonely battle with himself.

Recently, in the summer, I had a friend text my boyfriend at 3 AM claiming he was going to give away all of his things. Well, as I was taught, if a person is offering their things suddenly - it usually means they may be thinking of suicide. Not only did he text my boyfriend saying he was going to give him all of his things, when asked for clarification on what he was planning, all he said was: "sorry". Not even thinking straight, I called 911. And guess what? Police came to his door. He was NOT happy. Apparently, this "I'm going to commit suicide", thing was common with him. Still, what if he had? I wasn't going to take it lightly. Not in the slightest. Now, if he says something sad, he always adds: "Don't call the police."

There are too many young/older people resorting to it. They need empathy, not sympathy. Yes, some do it for attention (like the friend who I called the police on - HAH, bet he's never going to pretend again, eh?), and many do.

Always look for the signs and take all signs seriously. This is most important! Make sure the person isn't stating how "worthless" they are, or how alone they feel. If they start giving things away or seem to isolate themselves, warning signs. Also, look for it in seemingly happy people.

And while we're at it, bullying needs to be addressed. I still have nightmares to this day about when I was bullied back in elementary. I remember one time, a kid just...ripped apart my Math book, for no good reason. Even in my older grades I was taunted. (Up until high school where I made plenty of new friends and support.)

Bullying is potentially one of the biggest ones. It sucks for a kid to feel alone and isolated. Sometimes, they start to believe the people who pick on them, and think: what's wrong with me? Why am I being picked on by everyone else? There must be something wrong with me.

The more we frown and try to kill of bullying, I think the less suicides there will be.

Also, diagnosing depressed probably. Having an anxiety disorder is bad enough, but I'm not depressed. I can't imagine what feeling depressed all of the time is like. *shudder*

I think it's a selfish thing, no matter how old you are. Because even if you think no one cares, there is someone who cares (unless you have no parents, no friends, no one at all), and you're leaving them behind to be sad about you dying. You don't even think for a second how they might feel about it.

I think it's a selfish thing, no matter how old you are. Because even if you think no one cares, there is someone who cares (unless you have no parents, no friends, no one at all), and you're leaving them behind to be sad about you dying. You don't even think for a second how they might feel about it.

You say suicide is a selfish thing, because there's always someone who cares... unless you have no one to care about you. Makes no sense and also that's pretty narrow minded. You don't know how a suicidal person thinks or what they would think about, so that last part's ridiculous.

You say suicide is a selfish thing, because there's always someone who cares... unless you have no one to care about you. Makes no sense and also that's pretty narrow minded. You don't know how a suicidal person thinks or what they would think about, so that last part's ridiculous.

And unfortunately, stating that suicide is selfish is only going to isolate those who consider it further. I understand what you mean Jess. It really hurts everyone, family, friends, the community. A suicidal person may think that the world would be "better off" without them, and it justifies them resorting it, as they believe that is more important than say, them remaining. In some cases, (especially with the bullying thing) a kid may feel entirely alone and unloved - even if they have parents. Being able to socialize for survival is actually a huge part of being human. If you're isolated from a group, you naturally feel like a failure, even if you're accepted with your parents.

Many people with suicide have "thought distortions" (which many people, even none-suicidal, do-everyone has one or more thought distortions). These thought distortions do exactly what the title says, distorts their perspectives of the world. They won't see the world through clear lenses anymore. Everyone has a difficult time seeing the world through others eyes. These thought distortions also prevent them from seeing the bigger picture.

Which is why they need people to help them see it and value their life. No one deserves to be alone. I've always believed in that. And since all of our thoughts are so unique and vastly different, well, let me just say: seeing the complex reasoning behind suicide is nearly impossible, just as it's impossible to view the world through your eyes.

But suicide is never the fault of JUST the person who commits it or tries. If they are suffering from a disorder, this is not their fault. If they are bullied, if their parent's fail to see warning signs, if their friends do, if their enviroment is constantly stressful. We can't possibly just blame the one person - something caused it, and everyone who was involved is also to blame.

People often say talking about suicide or whatever can not influence someone. I find this didn't happen with me, then again. I was younger when I first felt this way. When I watched suicide or heard people talk about suicide, I listened and took in all the information until I seriously considered doing so. Obviously the feeling was there all along, but it did help.

I remember being so worried about HOW to do that I went as far as searching 'Easiest Way to Kill yourself' and 'How to Kill Yourself Successfully.'

There are actually answers on the internet, and that's where I got my ideas.

Ah, see, you're looking at this from an outside perspective. Having been in the situation? It's a lot different. It's not that people that want to commit suicide want to die, they just want the pain to stop. And in my case, I was in a lot of pain. And dealing with depression? No matter how many times someone tells you they care, you can't believe it. Some bad things happened to me and I considered myself 'worthless' and that no one could care about someone like me.

I even cut myself, not where people could see though. I do believe people that cut where you can see are seeking attention, and you know what? Maybe they NEED the attention. But I didn't want it and I regret it greatly. I still have so many scars that I can never where shorts, or a bathing suit in public without feeling ashamed. (I did it on my thighs)

Although, things are different for me now. I no longer watch to accomplish this 'goal' as I called it. I went as far as making an attempt by taking over 50 tylenol. I thought it would work, it did not. And trust me, I paid for that foolish mistake.

I'm on the edge about suicide and opinions of it. Most people say that those that were bullied and killed themselves were 'weak.' Just because someone else isn't affected that way by being bullied doesn't mean others are. In my case, I have an anxiety disorder, depression which I'm on serious meds for and a bipolar disorder, which I am also on meds for. Combine those along with the other things that were going on.

I really wish I could help anyone that ever felt the way I did because it hurts. It really does. It's terrifying. You're afraid to live and afraid to die. In the end, where does that leave you? I'm happy my attempts were never successful. I remember taking the meds and then forcing myself to sleep. Hoping to never wake up. Doesn't work. Pills are painful... And I did wake up, which I am now happy for.

And sorry if relaying my own experience is 'morbid' or whatever. But I wanted to give insight from a suicidal person's perspective. (Though, I am not one any more, I still remember how it felt.)

Sorry this is so long but in grade seven, I remember I did want help and we had to do speeches, and I did mine on teenage suicide. Did you know by the time you have watched a movie that at least one teenager has killed themselves? It's definitely very sad. Any ways, I did write the speech addressing the warning signs as well in it hoping someone would notice that I wanted help. And you know what? Someone did. And he helped me. And that was the first step into healing.

I do want to bring this to the table, as I think it is important for everyone to be aware. http://www.suicide.o...ning-signs.html (The whole site, not just this page, has a lot of information)

I also do think if someone feels depressed, or even considers the option... It's important to talk to a therapist. I was so against the idea (why talk to someone that gets PAID to talk to me?) It does help though. You have no idea how much it's helped me.

People often say talking about suicide or whatever can not influence someone. I find this didn't happen with me, then again. I was younger when I first felt this way. When I watched suicide or heard people talk about suicide, I listened and took in all the information until I seriously considered doing so. Obviously the feeling was there all along, but it did help.

I remember being so worried about HOW to do that I went as far as searching 'Easiest Way to Kill yourself' and 'How to Kill Yourself Successfully.'

There are actually answers on the internet, and that's where I got my ideas.

Ah, see, you're looking at this from an outside perspective. Having been in the situation? It's a lot different. It's not that people that want to commit suicide want to die, they just want the pain to stop. And in my case, I was in a lot of pain. And dealing with depression? No matter how many times someone tells you they care, you can't believe it. Some bad things happened to me and I considered myself 'worthless' and that no one could care about someone like me.

I even cut myself, not where people could see though. I do believe people that cut where you can see are seeking attention, and you know what? Maybe they NEED the attention. But I didn't want it and I regret it greatly. I still have so many scars that I can never where shorts, or a bathing suit in public without feeling ashamed. (I did it on my thighs)

Although, things are different for me now. I no longer watch to accomplish this 'goal' as I called it. I went as far as making an attempt by taking over 50 tylenol. I thought it would work, it did not. And trust me, I paid for that foolish mistake.

I'm on the edge about suicide and opinions of it. Most people say that those that were bullied and killed themselves were 'weak.' Just because someone else isn't affected that way by being bullied doesn't mean others are. In my case, I have an anxiety disorder, depression which I'm on serious meds for and a bipolar disorder, which I am also on meds for. Combine those along with the other things that were going on.

I really wish I could help anyone that ever felt the way I did because it hurts. It really does. It's terrifying. You're afraid to live and afraid to die. In the end, where does that leave you? I'm happy my attempts were never successful. I remember taking the meds and then forcing myself to sleep. Hoping to never wake up. Doesn't work. Pills are painful... And I did wake up, which I am now happy for.

And sorry if relaying my own experience is 'morbid' or whatever. But I wanted to give insight from a suicidal person's perspective. (Though, I am not one any more, I still remember how it felt.)

Sorry this is so long but in grade seven, I remember I did want help and we had to do speeches, and I did mine on teenage suicide. Did you know by the time you have watched a movie that at least one teenager has killed themselves? It's definitely very sad. Any ways, I did write the speech addressing the warning signs as well in it hoping someone would notice that I wanted help. And you know what? Someone did. And he helped me. And that was the first step into healing.

I do want to bring this to the table, as I think it is important for everyone to be aware. http://www.suicide.o...ning-signs.html (The whole site, not just this page, has a lot of information)

I also do think if someone feels depressed, or even considers the option... It's important to talk to a therapist. I was so against the idea (why talk to someone that gets PAID to talk to me?) It does help though. You have no idea how much it's helped me.

I agree with everything you've said here, and it's good to hear someone speaking out who suffers with mental illness. I find it really difficult to articulate when talking about suicide but you voiced it perfectly. I suffer with what I affectionately like to call Bipolars 'first cousin' (Borderline Personality Disorder), so I can fully relate to what you say here. I also have problems with anxiety, and it's wonderful to hear therapy has been so good for you, I'm currently seeking ^_^

I heard a lot of people cut themselves to feeling "outer" pain or have a sense of control over oneself. I had friends who had resorted to it. I remember my cousin cut herself and I didn't understand why. (I was very young.) I'm sorry that you have scars!

I'm glad things are different for you! :D

I take the anti-depressant paxil. But I'm not depressed, it's to treat OCD. However, like yourself, anxiety is potentially one of the WORST things - it limits ones life and prevents one from successfully filling out their 'roles'. I think people who deal with any sort of disorder are very strong! Bullying really hurts and makes one feel isolated and lonely.

Thanks for sharing! That took a lot of courage and I respect that. I think we need to hear more about it to understand, especially if we've never been suicidal. I've only entertained the idea, but like I said, I couldn't do it. I enjoy life too much, regardless of how hard it feels.

Sorry this is so long but in grade seven, I remember I did want help and we had to do speeches, and I did mine on teenage suicide. Did you know by the time you have watched a movie that at least one teenager has killed themselves?

*shudder* Really? One teenager every movie? :(

And, if one doesn't like the idea of a therapist, a counsellor is good to speak with, too. They're not as good as a therapist, I was trained in counselling and you do not need a medical license to counsel. However, many services offer counsellors for free and they're not as expensive. Keep in mind though that while a therapist is trained to deal with your past, a counsellor would prefer to spend more time on the present ... helping you to help yourself. They also can't give you medication unless they are trained this way. Seeking help isn't weak. It's brave.

And, if one doesn't like the idea of a therapist, a counsellor is good to speak with, too. They're not as good as a therapist, I was trained in counselling and you do not need a medical license to counsel. However, many services offer counsellors for free and they're not as expensive. Keep in mind though that while a therapist is trained to deal with your past, a counsellor would prefer to spend more time on the present ... helping you to help yourself. They also can't give you medication unless they are trained this way. Seeking help isn't weak. It's brave.

You are absolutely right and especially the last line! Admitting you need help and getting it, it's one of the strongest things one can do!

And yes, every 'movie.' To be more precise, around every 90 minutes. Which is about the time it takes someone to watch a movie. It's sad and scary to think about.

Suicide is just suicide. Selfish doesn't come into the equation. It could be in a blind impulse, where you feel alone, and abandoned.

This is also true. I tried twice on impulse and once actually planned it out. The time I planned it out, I never followed through.

Suicide is just a cry for help that will never be answered. It's heart breaking. And 6 year olds? I realized I never commented on that.

When I was younger, and I lost my sister. I was devastated. My grandma told me my sister was an angel up in heaven and like one of the previous posts I read, I wanted to be an angel too. I didn't really understand death. But what I thought?

1. I miss my sister.

2. Angels are pretty.

3. They can fly.

That was about all I understood. So it really is tragic what happened to those children... It makes me think hard about how I will explain the concept of death to mine.

I think it's an incredibly selfish thing for someone to say that suicide is selfish because you're not thinking of all the other people who care about you. You're saying that the depressed person's own feelings don't even matter as much as other people's. You're saying that someone's own personal torture isn't as important as how someone else might be sad.

Me, yeah, I've attempted suicide. And let me tell you, I did NOT go easy on myself. It was then that I discovered that my body was pretty much indestructible. Crap, I have lived through pretty much everything. These days, I'm mostly cool with my life, although some days physical movement makes me want to die. But let me tell you, I've suffered some pretty godawful stuff, and if I'd committed suicide when I wanted to, I would have saved myself years of torture. Yes, torture. The word is not an exaggeration. Let's put it this way, I had some minor surgery where they cut out some swellings from my hips, and I didn't bother with anesthetic, because in comparison to the pain I'm used to...meh. I've had days where yes, I genuinely want to end it all just to stop hurting.

If you've ever suffered anything like this, then you understand why a little selfishness in wanting to end it all is not nearly as selfish as someone else saying "But I'd be so saaaad without you!"

I think it's an incredibly selfish thing for someone to say that suicide is selfish because you're not thinking of all the other people who care about you. You're saying that the depressed person's own feelings don't even matter as much as other people's. You're saying that someone's own personal torture isn't as important as how someone else might be sad.

Me, yeah, I've attempted suicide. And let me tell you, I did NOT go easy on myself. It was then that I discovered that my body was pretty much indestructible. Crap, I have lived through pretty much everything. These days, I'm mostly cool with my life, although some days physical movement makes me want to die. But let me tell you, I've suffered some pretty godawful stuff, and if I'd committed suicide when I wanted to, I would have saved myself years of torture. Yes, torture. The word is not an exaggeration. Let's put it this way, I had some minor surgery where they cut out some swellings from my hips, and I didn't bother with anesthetic, because in comparison to the pain I'm used to...meh. I've had days where yes, I genuinely want to end it all just to stop hurting.

If you've ever suffered anything like this, then you understand why a little selfishness in wanting to end it all is not nearly as selfish as someone else saying "But I'd be so saaaad without you!"

I'm sorry you have to go through that. I know how you feel. Often people do just say that, but I really get it. There are days when I can't get out of bed either, or it takes me 20 minutes just to sit up. It's not fun, at all. -hugs-

This also reminds me of euthanasia. Which is a topic all on it's own. I'm curious to see opinions on it, but I feel it is different than suicide, though the two are linked so I will make its own board.

But I do agree with you completely. I've always heard suicide is 'weak' or 'selfish.' Let me tell you, it takes guts to try and kill yourself. I'm not saying it's a good idea but life must be so terrible and scary that death doesn't seem so bad.

I say suicide is wrong, because of my religion, but I don't want to drag religion in, so lemme just state my stand and go :D

While I do believe that the act of suicide is wrong, I don't think the people who do it are. A life is a huge thing, if you're going to take it, you have your own valid, painful reasons. It's not something others can judge, never having gone through the same experiences you did as the same person you are. It's tough to kill yourself - swallowing pill after pill, jumping off and literally seeing your life end, putting a gun to your head/mouth - ouch. They all require full amount of courage, which I'm too cowardly to have! Drowning is a most difficult way to go, because your body fights it every second.

It's sad, and it's painful, for everyone. But it's not right, nor is it wrong. Not right because I believe your life is not your own, and there is always someone out there who is suffering more, who is putting up with it. (I'm sorry if this sounds incredibly selfish, I don't mean to offend!) but not wrong because people don't just do it for FUN. They don't do it to flaunt the rules or break the law. The people who do it are brave and hurting. That the storage of brave just could never be enough to push away the continuing hurt sucks. :(

No one should ever have to put up with the crap that causes suicide, but it happens, and it does. :/ Karina, I won't say I understand, because I've never been through that. But people suck, and then there are the ones who love you. :) Turn to those who love you - and by the way, I think killing the other person is favourable to killing yourself.Don't quote me on that. :P I'm not saying to actually go KILL the person, but they deserve it. They should stop causing hurt for others and go like befriend a wall or something.

I can't imagine a one year old stealing cars, swearing, and shooting people. A child that age has no idea how to drive or use a gun

The one-year-old in question is Stewie Griffin from Family Guy.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with you. I don't exactly know to what extent the pain of someone who commits suicide, but you can't say that it trumps the death of a loved one. I understand your statement about "why a little selfishness in wanting to end it all is not nearly as selfish as someone else saying "But I'd be so saaaad without you!" but don't you think that someone killing themselves would hurt the people around them a little more than being "saaaaad".

I disagree with you. I don't exactly know to what extent the pain of someone who commits suicide, but you can't say that it trumps the death of a loved one. I understand your statement about "why a little selfishness in wanting to end it all is not nearly as selfish as someone else saying "But I'd be so saaaad without you!" but don't you think that someone killing themselves would hurt the people around them a little more than being "saaaaad".

If you think that the death of a loved one is the worst thing you can feel (since you say that whatever I was feeling can't trump the death of a loved one), I'm glad to say that you don't know true pain.

I've had plenty of deaths of loved ones. I've seen people die of slow illnesses (seen, mind you), I've had one friend commit suicide, and I've had a couple of friends die suddenly from a drunk driver. One friend (not a close friend of mine, but still a friend) got murdered, and it took months to find the body. It can be depressing, sure. But trust me when I say I have had way worse.

While I agree that suicide is a horrible thing (especially since once you do it, you can't go back) that affects everyone who knows the person, I don't think that it is right to blame the person committing suicide and calling them selfish. For a person to even consider suicide they would be hurting a lot, and it would be wrong for others to judge that person without fully knowing their story. Furthermore, I think that when treatments for those who attempt suicide should not be to prevent them from trying again, but rather fixing the root cause of their suicidal thoughts.

Also, with respects to the 6 year old not comprehending death/suicide, when I was younger, I distinctly remember understanding the concept of death and suicide well (though I didn't really understand why someone would want to end their life, when life was such as wonderful thing).