Summer Camp preference?

Piticent

Ah yes, we are about 5 months out from summer camps starting, and i want your opinion :)

Sleepaway or day?

1-3 or 4-7 weeks?

local or notsolocal?

all good questions :)

So...where do you prefer to go? Well, actually, a better question would also be this: Does anywhere near you offer camp? Personally, I like a little YMCA camp in PA, USA called Camp Fitch :) So...where do y'all go?

Just gonna say it: I HATE CAMP

I always had a terrible time. There were always some really snooty girls who took an instant dislike to me for some reason and made my life hell.

Sorry for such a negative response, it just brings up bad memories.

I had a better time at day camps, though. Gives the other campers less power over you.

Good for you if you like camp, though! You're luckier than me.

I went to a sleepaway camp for a while that offered 10 day and 1 week sessions. It was fantastic, about 5 hours away from home but near where my family had a cottage so I was familiar with the area, which was nice. I liked the camp VERY much I'm just too busy now with an actual job to go and become a counsellor there, even though I would love to. I liked that they offered the 10 day sessions because it was just long enough. And once I became older and could afford it I went for 2 10 day sessions which was also nice. I think it depends on your age, for older campers a sleepaway for 1-3 weeks far from home is good!

I've never been to sleepaway camp, only day camp.

I went to a camp run by the town from 2004-06 and I hated it. There were a lot of girls I hated that I was forced to be in the same group with and I didn't make all that many friends there.

In 2007 and 2010, I went to a New York Sports Club camp and I really liked it. I might go back as a counselor-in-training this summer, but only if I don't have a summer job by then. (I'm pretty sure that if I have a job by then it wouldn't allot any time for me to become a counselor-in-training as well)

Ohh I'm so jealous :( I live in Australia and we just don't have that sort of stuff! I remember watching parent trap and wishing we had camps like that :P although they did seem a bit ...Maybe something more like the soccer camp in Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants with the cute guy..that sounded fun hehe. Although I'm guessing they're probably not really like either of those! But I mean we have school camps and that sort of thing..so going from my knowledge of that, I'd say it depends on what sort of personality you have. If you're social, make friends easily and don't really get homesick then I'd say the sleepaway, not so local and for a fair while. Although if you take a while to warm up to people then a long stay is still good because it gives you that chance, and staying there also helps because the nights always the best time for chatting and bonding etc.

I think either way you should go non-local, because then you get to experience something a bit further a way from home and get to meet different sorts of people.

Hope that helped (and I hope I didn't totally embarass myself by misunderstanding something :P)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The only ones I've been to were day camps, and that's about all I could handle lol, I wouldn't have done well at all at sleep away camps. I'm the type of person who can't relax in that type of setting, never could... would've just stressed me out. Really need my own bed/alone time at the end of the day. Though the camps I went to I really loved, one was a space camp when I was really young then when I was a bit older I went to some camps at an equestrian center. It really just depends on the type of person you are I think. I enjoyed going each day but couldn't have endured spending the night away each night.

another Aussie! also wish we had more camps here, most of ours are usually day based activities or are charitable. oddly enough know several people who went to the States to be camp counsellors for a holiday :P (yet we don't run them here? weird..)

i really enjoyed what camps i went on, usually since i was going with a group i knew already the social thing was never a problem, and we all enjoyed doing new things, the best ones were sleepover ones where we travelled and camped out places :)

zorse, i can understand what you mean. most of the time, thats my opinion during the school year. but during the summer, thats a different story :P i just think its fun to occasionally mix it up. Besides, it makes everything outside of camp grounds seem so interesting after camp is done :P Honestly, first, I went to a Jewish camp someplace i forget where, but i think i just wasnt religious enough to enjoy it...then i tried camp fitch for a computer camp and LOVED it. but then again, for me it seems that the 1st everything is miserable, then the second is as fun as fun can be. Im wierd like that :)

wierd you say that, annukii, because i know of one boys camp counselor who comes to CF over the summer to be a counselor, but lives across the pond :P

I've done quite a few day camps too, which I enjoy but I find they are more for much younger children. I also encounter the snooty girls who I dislike in an instant, but I also made 2 of my best friends at camp.

These camps are rare in my country .. but there is an organisation that organizes holidays in summer for teens up to 18. You can go for 2 weeks to Croatia or you can go to a cam on Pohorje. I've been to Croatia several times and it was amazing. Nothing better than two weeks of sun, sea, ice cream & friends :) I always wanted to try the camp, but I guess I'm too old now ..

Anyway if when I plan my vacations I always pick the longest :D